The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya F-4B Phantom

Peterpools

Phil

Completely agree and both kits are enjoyable and a pleasure to build. Absolutely do another ZM F4. Two completely different approaches to the Toon for sure, with each having it's own strengths and weaknesses. Later this year, I plan on building the ZM F4E (kit is in the stash and calling my name).

Keep 'em comin

Peter 

• Like 2

Rob - Burner can pics as requested:

Tamiya is on the left and ZM on the right. Inside detail has to go to Tamiya and the exterior detail - I'm still out to lunch on it. Tamiya's cans will need painting and washes to bring out the exterior details as they are a bit shallow and soft, while ZM shows the Turkey Feathers as one piece and they aren't - some scribing and ZM's  cans will look much better. 

eJzYI5.jpg

gwyu8z.jpg

DZmrqX.jpg

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the comparison Peter. Quite a difference in approach and detail with these two. I'm eager to start my build and ordered a  set of MK.1 exhaust nozzles for my Kai Phantom, as the kit supplied look a bit toyish to me. With a good paint job and some scribing, they might be usable, but the inner detail from the Tamiya's is on another level.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

Rob

Glad to help. Just wish the ZM burner cans would have matched the detail level of their kit but I'm sure "The Old man" must have a few Tamiya Phantoms and is checking things out. Maybe ZM will offer an AM set of burner cans for us.

Looking forward to the Kai Phantom build

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 2

On 7/23/2021 at 2:52 AM, Peterpools said:

Thanks Kai

Finally the Big F4 is coming together and not to far from the paint shop. Completely agree agree about the elevators, as I would also prefer to have them added individually after painting; ala ZM, just makes life easier. Just started playing around with the canopy and a few fit issues - nothing major and needs a bit of work to clean it up. Actually it's exactly the same fit issue I have with the ZM kit where the canopy is a bit too long  and needs some trimming and  the end tabs need to be replaced with filler. Hopefully I'll have it fixed sometime tomorrow.

Of course, now that I'm close to painting, my pressure gauge bit the dust and I had to order both a new pressure gauge/regulator for my Iwata Power Jet Plus. compressor It's a dual piston compressor and I've had it for a good five years and this is the first issue,  so no complaints. I can still air brush but will have to guess at the working pressures, as I mainly work normally between 12-15 psi. The problem is I use a few different H&S airbrushes with different tip sizes and need to play around with the regulator so I'm where I need to be. Should be here in about a week - no biggie.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Read this only today Peter!

Interesting to hear about the fit problems of the canopies with both kits. I also have the ZM F-4D in my stash.

Hope your compressor is back to full service soon. I have a reliable Revell Delta since more that 10 years.

I also have 2 H&S airbrushes like you. They are really nice. 

Curious to see your 2 birds in the paintshop! 

• Like 1

Hi Kai

The canopy issue seems only when using the closed version for each kit, as they are a bit too long. An hour or so and fixed, including the hinges at the rear that I removed and filled in the small gaps.

The parts for my compressor are on the way and should be here in about a weeks time. Yup, love my H&S air brushes and I went through quite a few over the years until settling on H&S equipment.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Peter , I found on the ZM the canopies stayed in the open position through just good fit tolerances. It also allows me to close them up if I want to change the display……..I bought myself 18 months ago a H&S Infinity with 0.2 & 0.4 needles, just works effortlessly, I know they are entry level but works for me on a budget…….

• Like 2

Hi Phil

My ZM canopy (using the closed, single piece part) fits pretty well but needed a bit of tweaking exactly as did the Tamiya canopy - just a tooth too long. No real issues in correcting such a minor problem, even for me.

No way, you H&S Infinity CR Plus is not an entry level AB but one of their better air brushes. I have two and they are soldi performers all the way.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Peterpools said:

No way, you H&S Infinity CR Plus is not an entry level AB but one of their better air brushes. I have two and they are soldi performers all the way

Got that completely wrong on the H&S, I have the Ultra not the Infinity……

• Like 2

Brian

Very much appreciate the kind words on the F4B build - just another phenomenal Tamiya kit 😉 . Part fit and detail is amazing and I look forward to each bench session. I'm hoping to have another build update this weekend as I've pretty much finished building and painting the gear and gear doors, missiles and drop tanks. I had to deviate from my build plans as I needed to buy a new compressor and thought while I'm waiting for it to arrive, work on the smaller assemblies whose air brush work could still be accomplished.

Looking forward to you starting your F4 after finishing the JU88A4

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 3

SUB ASSEMBLIES 7/31/21

Picking up the pace a bit and making steady progress again. As I am nearing finishing up the fuselage and getting close to the paint shop, my trusty compressor coughed, gave up the ghost and needed repairs. I ordered what I thought was the correct parts but of course they weren’t. What I actually needed was the regulator, pressure gauge and moisture trap (sold as a single unit) and cost nearly $105 plus shipping. With my Iwata Powerjet II compressor being well over five years old, my wife thought spending that much on parts was silly and I should just buy a new compressor, patch up the old compressor and to be used as a spare if needed. I have to be the luckiest guy in the world, as my wife Diane is a Princess for sure. I ordered a Sparmax TC-620X and it arrived yesterday: WOW , what a machine. A lot more bells and whistles then the Powerjet II and now completely set up and ready to go. In the meantime, I was able to use the Powerjet II on small sub-assemblies, where not being sure of my working pressure and moisture build up wasn’t a big concern.

Back to the build

While waiting for my new compressor, I built up both the nose and main gear assemblies, the four wing pylons, gear doors and all were first painted with MRP FS17875 … looked good in the bottle but after the paint had an opportunity to dry, the MRP paint (Interior White) looked a bit creamy / tan in shade. Jumping to the rescue was Tamiya X2 Gloss White; a pure glossy white – fitting the bill perfectly.

I edged all the doors in red, the numerous oleo’s where painted chrome and then spent a few hours applying Tamiya Black Panel Line Wash very carefully, so the gloss white stays gloss white.

Next up all the Sparrow and Sidewinder missiles. BTW, the Sparrow missiles seem to be exactly the same as the ones in the ZM kit and  virtually interchangeable, while the Sidewinders aren’t only by the means of attachment to the launch rails With a little work they would work as well as the Tamiya missiles. I dead read on one of the kit reviews, that the Missiles in the kit are from a previous kit and were not made specifically for the Phantom – doesn’t bother me a bit as they are just fine. By the time I finish up the missiles, I’ll be ready to jump back onto cleaning up the fuselage and getting ready it ready for priming. 

Thanks for checking in

Peter

Most of the smaller sub assemblies ready for installation when the time comes. All the parts are gloss white and the lighting created some shadows that cause some to look a bit gray. The canopy has bee masked and the interior details added as they will be seen through the closed canopy on completion.

b3XP5l.jpg

WK3OeQ.jpg

The gear - loads of parts - they all fit and the detail is amazing.

aXDlQP.jpg

Sidewinders from both kits: the four in the front (still missing the paint work on the tailfins). 

ugixwO.jpg

The Sparrows - almost all brothers

jQjopW.jpg

Paints used and to be used

bJppye.jpg

Pylons - ready to go. Please excuse the red tips on the rails. What is facing forward will be hidden by the Sidewinders so I wasn't as fussy as need be

GRdvng.jpg

• Like 11

Very nice paint work, Peter!  She's gonna turn out awesome! 

I've actually been beneath an F4.  Wish I could remember some useful detail.  But all I remember is white paint.

• Like 2

Thanks Kai

Papa Tamiya sure came through with a wonderful pallet - straight out of the box.

After unpacking and setting up my new compressor, I was back at the bench and working on the fuselage. The paint shop is just around the corner and maybe a block or so.

Right with you wishing a 32nd F4 would be in the works ... but who knows

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

• Like 1

• Administrators

I LOVE IT!

I’m liking the idea that we can ALL build the best kit available to us, and we have plenty of great choices in 1/48.  Academy, ZM, Tamiya, they’re all beautiful, and all are much nicer than the ancient 1/32 Tamiya kits. 

I’m watching with interest, Peter, and I might someday admit that I might even build 1/48 on the sly..  not gonna admit it now, but maybe someday.  🤐

• Like 2

Ernie

Well said ... the choices of awesome F4’s in 48th scale are amazing and when the bug bites ... there is no turning back.

Why oh why has Papa Tamiya refused to release his latest gems in 32nd scale, as they surely need to updated:

The F-14 Tomcat

The P-38 Lightning

The F4B Phantom 

I’m in for a bunch

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

• Like 1