The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Trumpeter P-51B started

I have decide to go on and get this one started. The biggest drawback right now is the heavy rivet details on the tops of the wings. My "solution", which seems to help minimize them, is brushing on a heavy coat(s) of Mr. Surfacer 500. Sand that smooth and overspray with Alclad Gray Primer/Microfiller. If needed spray twice.  Here's a pic of the results of my 1st try. Quite a bit better I think. I don't plan, at least at this point, to do that to the whole airplane but I won't completely rule it out. :) I have the Aires cockpit set and gear doors ordered from SB. Also a new canopy set from Aerocraft Models in the UK. I have on hand some P-51 wheels from Barracudacast. Here's the a/c I intend to model. 4th FG flown by Deacon Hively. I haven't been able to find his markings in 1/32 so I will re-scale them from a 1/48 Aeromaster sheet and print 'em out on clear decal paper using my laser printer. Fingers crossed all will go well!!! :)

8-20-21 001.jpg

Hively.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

John

Nice start and the wing rivets do look a lot better plus the panel lines seem a lot less prominent

Riding with you all the way :popcorn:

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thanks Peter. I think after painting they will appear even better. :)

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Very good  surgery on the top wings John!

Now they look much better and the surface is really smooth. Will look great under a coat of paint. 

Fingers crossed! :)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Peterpools said:

John

Nice work on cleaning up both wing tops. Surely off to a good start.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thank you Peter. Next is the underside of the wings. I'm still undecided about the fuselage since it was not sealed, etc. However, reducing the heavy rivet details would enhance the looks of the finished model. A lot of work though.

• Like 1

Underside of the wings and tops of the horizontal tail surfaces done. 🤪 (I'm not trying to completely hide the rivet details, just minimize them. Painting should cover 'em up a bit too. I will fill the nav light holes and sand them out later.)

8-23-21 001.jpg

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Nice pony John, love your idea on reducing the surface noise…:popcorn:

Thank you Phil. Not very difficult at all as the Mr. Surfacer is easy to sand. I'm still a bit undecided if I want to do that on the fuselage but I don't think I will. I might shoot some primer on there and decide then. :)

• Like 1