The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1:32nd scale Salmson 2-A2

Hi all,
The basic engine is complete.
I've added the ignition harnesses to the two rear mounted magnetos.
Also the twin ignition leads from the circular support tube to the twin sparks plugs on each of the nine cylinders.
The radiator shutters are being modeled as open,

Mike 

engdone1.jpg

engdone2.jpg

engdone3.jpg

engdone4.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

On 11/2/2021 at 2:30 PM, sandbagger said:

Hi all,
The basic engine is complete.
I've added the ignition harnesses to the two rear mounted magnetos.
Also the twin ignition leads from the circular support tube to the twin sparks plugs on each of the nine cylinders.
The radiator shutters are being modeled as open,

Mike 

engdone1.jpg

engdone2.jpg

engdone3.jpg:popcorn:

engdone4.jpg

OMG ! JUST AWESOME......harv

• Like 3

Hi all,
Sorry, but I forgot to take shots of the cockpit assembly before closing up the fuselage!!
Anyway I added the rudder and elevator control cables.
Also the cross bracing wires in the cockpit side frames, across the internal frames and on the floor panels.
The observer/gunner seat is fitted in the stowed position, as I'll be adding a figure into the rear cockpit.
I still have some weathering and detail to add, such as cockpit and engine control rods and pipes and the wireless reel wire etc.
As usual, not much can be seen once the cockpit decking panel is fitted - hey ho.

For now I'll be putting this model aside so that I can complete the Avro 'Vulcan' Mk.2  I'm building for a friends birthday next month.
Then I'll be back on the Salmson,

Mike

closed1.jpg

closed2.jpg

closed3.jpg

closed4.jpg

closed5.jpg

closed6.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Hi Drifter,

I have used wood effect decals and oil paints to create a wood effect.

However, I tend to use a water based crafters acrylic paint from 'DecoArt'.

The paint is their 'Burnt Umber', which needs no thinning and can be applied straight from the bottle, either by brush or sponge.

I'll prime the surfaces then airbrush 'Tamiya' Deck Tan (XF55), then apply the paint.

Normally I brush it over the surfaces and regularly wash the brush in water, which can also be used to thin the paint is desired.

Unlike normal oil paint, this paint dries quickly so you need to be careful over brushing as it can lift off the previously applied layer.

Once dry it can be clear coated with a semi-matte acrylic or lacquer clear coat.

For propellers adding 'Tamiya' Clear Yellow (X24) or Orange (X26) adds a varnished finish.

Each of my build logs has a chapter dedicated to 'wood effects'.

Just click on a PDF icon to download the detailed build log from my site (link in signature below),

Mike

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,
A few updates on the Salmson 2-A2 build.

The front end is coming together now.
The engine assembly is fitted with the painted access panels.
The three on the left side are being left off as the intention is to have a mechanic working on that area.
I've added the twin cross bracing wires to the front bay frame (0.08 mm mono-filament, 0.4 mm diameter blackened Brass tube and 'GasPatch' 1:48th scale turnbuckles (Type C).
I've also added the access panel metal support ring around the front of the engine support beams.
The 'GasPatch' replacement Vickers machine gun and the mounting recess in the panel have been slightly modified to fit.
Also the carburettor air intake pipe has been drilled out as it was moulded solid.

Now it's onto adding more detail such as wiring, terminal box, cables etc to the exposed structure, using photographs as a guide,

Mike

bay6.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hi all,
I've been working on the areas of the model that will remain exposed.
The fixed in position access panels have been painted and fitted.
I've cut out the cable entry openings in the rear frame and removed pre-molded detail from the fuselage rear access panel area to allow for adding detail.
This included twin crossed bracing wires, electrical terminal box, a fuselage rib and electrical wire conduits and pipes.

Next is to add the electrical wires,

Mike 

spacer.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hi all,
The exposed fuselage side bay is finished as far as I can.
There are no drawings or photographs of the is area on a French Salmson 2-A2, apart from aircraft that are either being built or that have crashed.
Therefore there's no 'complete' French aircraft detail available.
However, there is a photograph of an American Salmson 2-A2 that does show this area complete.
Although the American aircraft were fitted with a Type 3-US generator, which was different from the French version, the detail in their bays look very similar.
Therefore I detailed the bay with electrical conduit and wires, tubes and what I assume were aircraft batteries (the observers wireless had its own battery).
The detail is a combination of scratch parts, 'ANYZ’ 0.5 mm silver braided line (AN011) and ‘MFH’ black 0.4 mm flexible tube (P-961).
Decals used were spares from previous model builds.
Out of necessity, the added detail may not be accurate, but at least is does represent that bay area.

Mike

bay12.jpg

baydone.jpg

baydone1.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Hi all,
Just a quick update.
I forgot to fit the generator drive belt.
To represent the generator drive belt, I cut a strip of photo-etch 1.0 mm wide, then annealed it (softened over a flame).
It was then bent around a 1.8 mm diameter drill to form a semi-circle.
It was then brush painted with ‘Tamiya' Rubber Black (XF18).
Once dry it was secured in position around the forward shaft of the generator, with the two ends onto the round ‘pulley’ on the rear of the engine. 

Mike

drivebelt.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1