The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Modelling News 2022 (Merged)

Fran

I watched video a while back on Nigel's Modeling Bench channel where he compared two Huey's in size: 1/35 and 1/32. I was absolutely amazed at how much the size difference really was; it's significant.  But with Infinity 1/32 Kate soon to be available, there will be an option. For me, it's not on my want to build list and I'm passing on both.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

I watched video a while back on Nigel's Modeling Bench channel where he compared two Huey's in size: 1/35 and 1/32. I was absolutely amazed at how much the size difference really was; it's significant.  But with Infinity 1/32 Kate soon to be available, there will be an option. For me, it's not on my want to build list and I'm passing on both.

As I keep saying, a model in 1/35 occupies 76 % of the volume of the same in 1/32. We humans look at objects in 3D, not one-dimensional ones, which are mathematical abstractions. So yes, in one dimension, the difference is "only" 9 %, and this may seem insignificant (although I think most would agree it's not insignificant on their paycheck ;) ), but in 3D, it's 24 %, and that's a lot to my eyes ....

Hubert

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HubertB said:

As I keep saying, a model in 1/35 occupies 76 % of the volume of the same in 1/32. We humans look at objects in 3D, not one-dimensional ones, which are mathematical abstractions. So yes, in one dimension, the difference is "only" 9 %, and this may seem insignificant (although I think most would agree it's not insignificant on their paycheck ;) ), but in 3D, it's 24 %, and that's a lot to my eyes ....

Hubert

Hubert

Right to the point and 100% correct. And when you actually see how big of a difference the 24% is, it's HUGE.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Judging by their Helldiver, I'm not sure I'd buy anything by Infinity. Yes, I'd prefer this

kit in 1/32 but I would definitely not buy it in 1/72 scale! I was recently on a online store looking at items by IBG. I was frustrated by the

fact that many of their more interesting armor subjects were offered only

in 1/72 scale! Who builds 1/72 scale armor! What am I going to do with

tanks in that scale? Wear them on a charm bracelet?

• Like 2

I don't care if it's 1/35 or 1/32 when I really want to build it. Border is not the first company to do it, there are some helis around. I'm considering buying their Ju-87, as I believe it's the best kit in 'large scale' in the moment. The only let down is fitting aftermarket and figures, which is not an issue for me with the Stuka.
To put some oil into the fire, I'm waiting for some of the usual armor suspects to release a 1/32 scale tank range :D. ZM did a Kettenkrad, without a huge outcry, if I remember right.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Special Hobby Piper L4

OH Moma, a new Piper L4 and I can't wait to get the kit on my bench. Yes, I know it's 48th scale but I do build in that scale as well as 32nd scale for aircraft.  Looking back over time, I first soloed a Piper J3 (pretty much a L4 but there are differences) way back in 1965 at Zahns Airport.  Other then the rear portion of the green house, which was larger in the L4, pilots could fly it solo from the front seat, as the radio gear weight acted like a rear passenger for the CG. J3 were always flown solo from the rear seat and of course, no radios or even a starter. Just love flying them.

noBQp4.jpg

Image from Special Hobbies Web Site.

• Like 7

On 7/17/2022 at 7:18 PM, Peterpools said:

Special Hobby Piper L4

OH Moma, a new Piper L4 and I can't wait to get the kit on my bench. Yes, I know it's 48th scale but I do build in that scale as well as 32nd scale for aircraft.  Looking back over time, I first soloed a Piper J3 (pretty much a L4 but there are differences) way back in 1965 at Zahns Airport.  Other then the rear portion of the green house, which was larger in the L4, pilots could fly it solo from the front seat, as the radio gear weight acted like a rear passenger for the CG. J3 were always flown solo from the rear seat and of course, no radios or even a starter. Just love flying them.

Hi Peter, this should be right down your alley. CMK makes some detailed resin wheels for the mentioned plane. With that hub, I think you can't resist. 

image.png.b2eedfe62b9b00f2b29cbe2a479431b1.png

Cheers Rob

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

ZM latest "Confirmed Rumor" which I read on LSP; the much anticipated FW190 project is being discontinued and will not be produced. The reason given is the chief designer is no longer with ZM and the model is too complicated to be produced to their standards. The first part of the rumor is most likely true but the second part I don't buy at all. ZM's past achievements in producing highly detailed and complicated models, demonstrates their incredible talents and I cannot see how the FW 190 is any more complicated. Yes, the amount of engineering and development time might be too costly in today's environment but surely not beyond their engineering expertise.

I have been waiting for their 190 since it was announced years ago and hope the kit is produced.  

• Like 3

I took a look at ZM's website and the Old Man Blogs. The one from March of last year shows that they were fairly far along on the kit. At least, it seems that way to me. 

https://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/en/sentiment/oyajiblog_113.html

It would be a shame to throw all that work away. 

Edited by BlrwestSiR
Spelled Old Man wrong
  • Like 3

Completely agree and I hope what I read on LSP was just a rumor and nothing more. Might also just be the cost of producing kits to that level today as compared to the past kits, is just too high and they might fear sales will suffer. 

• Like 3

Phil

I'm in complete agreement with Gaz, Carl and yourself. I was under the assumption the kit was close to being released, which did mean ZM already invested a lot of resources into the project. Could be the changes in the market and costs, will just make the kit too expensive; I haven't a clue.

I was just surfing sites looking for IPMS convention news and came across this post. Believe me, I'll be first in line to buy the ZM FW190 if it becomes available. I did jump over to their ZM website and there isn't anything new about the kit at all.

• Like 3

The ME-BF109 G14 seems to hit the shelves soon. I've seen the kit as preorder item on some shop pages Luckily not my cup of tea, geez, 105€ for the kit and there is no resin or PE included.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

@Bomber_County, @Peterpools, Radu has replied on LSP that the ZM 190 has not been abandoned. So it's still moving forward at the same pace it always has. 

Gotta love these rumours. There was one on Britmodeler about Tamiya discontinuing their paints earlier this week. 

Thanks Carl

When I saw it was Brian who said he heard this from a very reliable source and from what I remember, Brian isn't one to speculate on rumors and from other responses as well, it was a true. Just glad Radu jumped in and put the 'rumor' to rest.

If Tamiya ever dropped out of the hobby paint business, the hobby would have already ceased to exist. 🙃

• Like 2

On 7/22/2022 at 1:01 PM, DocRob said:

Hi Peter, this should be right down your alley. CMK makes some detailed resin wheels for the mentioned plane. With that hub, I think you can't resist. 

image.png.b2eedfe62b9b00f2b29cbe2a479431b1.png

Cheers Rob

Rob

Just saw a CAD drawing from CMK for a 65 HP Continental engine for the L4. Things are looking really good.

• Like 1