Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Infinity Models SB2C-4 Helldiver. Finished. Well, OK, maybe not.

2 hours ago, CANicoll said:

What a beauty!! Ernie, very well done and beautifully detailed.  Can't wait for the final pictures.  Yep, she's a keeper!!

Chris

Funny, as I was looking at Ernie's pics I said out loud "What a beauty!" -- turns out you said the same thing!  Good stuff Ernie, wow!

• Like 4

• Clunkmeister changed the title to Infinity Models SB2C-4 Helldiver. Finished (for now)
  • Administrators

I’m going to call this one done, at least for now.   I’m still working on the PE lower dive brakes, but honestly, I’m burned out on them. There are literally 10 sections of upper and lower dive brakes, plus all actuators, and I’ve finished 6 and seeing cross eyed.  
So I rigged up the drilled out kit parts and put them in place for now.  They look quite fine, but are nowhere near up to the quality of the rest of the build. So into the case it’ll go alongside my other finished stuff, and I’ll come back to the flaps in a month or so.  
There are a few minor touch ups to finish, but more or less of the type where after you step away for a few days, your eyes then see the obvious you missed before.

A few observations:

A. I’ll redo the rear gunner’s armor plate on his twin .50s.  That plate is about 1 scale foot thick on the kit part.  
2. Wireless antenna needs to be run.  Masts are in place but I need to verify how it’s rigged.  
3. Sliding canopy channels need weathering/chipping/wear.  
4. Finish dive brakes and install.  They MAKE the Helldiver, and in my opinion, unless mounted closed, the kit parts, while adequate, are nowhere up to the standard achievable throughout this kit   
5. Find the various little missed things that pop out at you long after it’s done  

HPH did a great job on this kit. It’s a very complicated aircraft, much more than you’d think.  They should be commended

RFI pics to follow.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Ernie

Just left my comments and thoughts before your post. Agreed, when the juices stop flowing, it's time for a break and to start your GB entry. Like you, I'll call a kit done and any little parts that still need to be done, I put in a small box and it goes right behind the model in the display case - this way I don't forget to finish when the time and desire come calling.

Awesome work and I'll be looking at doing an Infinity kit, subject dependent down the road. Right now, I'm gathering up Lancaster references, waiting for yet to be released AM and ordered selected available AM. Once everything is in hand, the Artograph spray booth gets installed and the Lancaster will be my focus until it's finished. 

• Like 4

• Administrators

Infinity have both the Kate and the Val coming fairly soon. The Kate will be within 2 months, with the Val to follow after that.

I’d venture a guess that both of those kits will be an absolute MUST build for me, as well as for many others. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

One more thing:  the wingtip lights.  Don’t assume they fit. (They don’t). I took about an hour per side sanding this things to shape.  That might be a less heart stopping job is one test fits them BEFORE paint. 🤣

I was fixin’ to have kittens. 

• Like 6

• Administrators

Can’t leave well enough alone.  Let’s revisit those guns!

Make some new armor plate for the rear guns, thinned appropriately to somewhat closer to scale thickness.

Plus, some Master barrels.

Once this is finished, it’s time for a new mat  

D568823F-20F2-4CCB-A39E-D913A28C3751.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Clunkmeister changed the title to Infinity Models SB2C-4 Helldiver. Finished. Well, OK, maybe not.
  • Administrators
7 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Nice Ernie!  I think it's safe to say you can probably retire that mat - it certainly did it's job with the Helldiver!

There’s been a new one standing on end under the bench for a year or so.  Time to swap ‘em out. 

• Like 5

Ernie

Nice call on replacing the MG's with master barrels.

Right with you and the guys, the mat is ready to be retired to the farm after the helldiver is in the display case. I also have a new mat ready to be put in use when needed and as soon as that happens, will buy another one for the next replacement.