The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Border Models Lancaster B.1 "Victorious Virgin"

• 2 weeks later...

OK, some more work completed, the nose section is getting closer, some more decals coming shortly, but work is in the way... I'm trying to get an hoiur in here and there but 12 hour night shifts are a pain at times...

Anyway, here we go:

ZHXFgbv.jpg

yYCyLr8.jpg

It looks busy, and when the last pieces and gun turret goes on, it will be very busy indeed!

This is going to be awesome!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BIG warning to all considering this build!

Attach the cockpit floor and forward bulkhead to the bomb bay ceiling BEFORE doing anything else. Border may not have had the instructions from the originator, and it looks as if it may require surgery to fit the two parts now. I know Nigel from Nigels Modeling Bench had mentioned something similar, but it's more extensive than even he thought. so be aware!

I'm on overtime, so don't have images, but I started to try to attach it today and ran into trouble!

• Like 7

So I got some work done, I put it in the box last night in frustration, but -re-watched the Nigel's Modeling Bench video, and figured out HOW to get the pieces together. I still suspect I put a part on in the wrong place, but I can't identify where it is. 

Anyway, lesson is for anyone building this model, attach the cockpit floor to the bomb bay roof, and work from there! Add the cockpit sides, then add the fuselage parts. The front main spar NEEDS to be attached with the cockpit floor attached, so the work sequence NOT described in the instructions, can't be followed... doesn't make sense but there it is.

To re-iterate, on the second instruction segment, where it starts with the "port cockpit", attach the cockpit floor to the bomb bay roof, and attach the front bomb bay bulkhead before you continue. Finish the cockpit, add the front spar, then do the bomb bay. it'll be long and flimsy, but I don't see any other way.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

How much of this is visible once it’s buttoned up inside the fuselage sides?  I’d be tempted to build it as a cut away model.  Can’t hide all that beautiful work! 

Border has announced they're going to release a nose kit with just the forward fuselage. I'm tempted to get one and use one of the clear HK fuselages I have on one side. Would probably need a lot of work to make it fit but could make for a nice display. 

• Like 2

THe details get sparse behind the spar, the "bunkroom" has no interior, until around the rear entrance, where there is a "passenger seat" for dropping behind enemy lines, a toilet and flare chutes. as well as the rear and dorsal turrets of course. I don't have the skill to do a cutaway, but I'll do my best to make it look like a lanc...

QBGc7dK.jpg

pIpDr4c.jpg

Second picture shows cockpit attached to the bomb bay floor!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I painted the "Dunny"... 

I thought I saw somewhere there were decals for the flare chutes, but I have no idea... Can't see that in the instructions anyway, also I think I'm building an early Lancaster, so maybe this flare chute is wrong, but it brings visual interest for inside the door, so I'm sticking with it! Also curious if the control runs would be a different color, such as zinc-chromate, I may do them in that color just for breaking up the colors. Also may do the hydraulic lines on the floor black.

very miniscule weathering, just a little dry brushed aluminum on the floor boards, but I like it for what'll be visible through the massive (sarcasm) door.

aEJM6V2.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Terrific progress and a ton of work. I've also been following Nigel's progress since day one and the kit is a massive project. From what I gather Nige has been saying is that when Border obtained the molds, they had to write their own and complete the kit, as it was yet yet ready for production. 

Nige did spend a lot of time showing how he delt with cockpit floor and bomb bay roof, as the instructions are not correct. 

Glad your Lanc is out of the box and back on the bench

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK Lads!

It hasn't been relegated to the shelf-of-doom yet! I finished up some details, and ran into a couple of issues, and then started a separate sub-assembly. There are many tings that can be built on the side to make final assembly somewhat easier.

I DID run into a rather large problem though, I have glued the halves together and there is a gap, almost a full mm (32nd or so inch) where the outer skin joins the after fuselage. This is puzzling as the front and rear of the bomb bay are perfectly joined... Anyway, I shall grit my teeth, try to fill and sand with plastic putty in a way that I won't have to sand away detail. From what I hear there was a taped seam, so perhaps I can hide it. It's turning into quite the amazingly large model too! It's very large. getting tedious to swing around the desk!

Wing and flap with gear bay

zwMV7EH.jpg

Again Nigel to the rescue, he found a piece not mentioned in the instructions that is the rear end of the firewall... Piece K13 goes towards the gear bay, and then the D piece goes in front towards the engine, this insures the perfect placement of the engine!

cx3gSqr.jpg

Oil Tank is indeed red... I checked the references! Whether the flaps are interior green? Personal choice to break up on the black. lots and lots of black (Gotta order more Tamiya LP-5)

CFYxFmQ.jpg

A little oil wash, but nothing will be visible through the door... But hey, I manned up and did it!

qimNYbE.jpg

Same thing with this side, not much will be seen.

lEKwivM.jpg

She's long... Only the 32nd A-10 I built ages ago was longer I think... the thought that went into this is amazing, to prevent a very long visible seam on top, they have a upper panel that glues on with seams in rivet lines, hope that works well, but pretty amazing really!

4dMaVuo.jpg

The gap... I Probably screwed something up somewhere, but I cant figure out what. The bomb bay forward and aft bulkheads are in the correct place, and everything else is dependent on that...

Anyway, not completely dead on the bench, but now the dreaded Command Evaluation is at hand, and I have to go away for 4 shifts to determine that I indeed is capable and worthy of the command of an aircraft and crew...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Nice to see it all closed up. Even if there is that gap, it's still a great milestone to hit on the build. I had to cut my HK Lanc fuselage apart after a number of the small fuselage windows fell in and had to be glued back into place so she's a bit of a mess seam wise and will need work when I get back to it. 

Carl

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Terrific progress on an extraordinary kit that does present a lot of issues for the builder. I too have been following Nigel's build and according to him, the seam does belong but not a gap. 

A lot of what Nige talks about is in his opinion, which I feel is correct, is when Border took possession of the model/molds, WNW still needed to resolve a lot of issues with the complicated kit and creating a set of their famous instructions which most likely would have gone into more detail on issues like the gap. Still, an amazing kit.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...