Jump to content
“LET’S GET WET!” GROUP BUILD STARTS JAN 1, 2023 ×

"The fastest piece of junk in the galaxy" aka the Millennium Falcon


Recommended Posts

Probably not the usual build on here but I figured it's big enough. If not, mods feel free to move it to the appropriate section. 

Anyways, this is the Bandai Perfect Grade Millennium Falcon. Being the original release, it has a lighting kit,  PE and decals instead of stickers. 

PXL_20221111_215221411.thumb.jpg.e4babd876c953eadc8a7714cbfe56c05.jpg

The box of sprues is big enough I'm going to have to leave it under the bench. 

PXL_20221111_220459850.thumb.jpg.4dbdb5fcbd282e2ce2be8a01bdfbafd1.jpg

Here's the ZM 109 on top of the upper main hull bit to give an of the size. 

PXL_20221111_215842324.thumb.jpg.c19e5659221aa8110794de9e60fdfb83.jpg

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the amount of parts in here, I'm planning on a OOB build. 

First up is one of the mandibles. I'm using the Aqueous Mr Surfacer for pre-shading and primer. 

PXL_20221112_223551868_MP.thumb.jpg.41f18f67ec8e7b50ee42fa58d9b7f4c3.jpg

For the paint, I'm using Gunze Gundam white as it I like the shade it has. 

PXL_20221112_225130461_MP.thumb.jpg.ca3a3d78132da399de3541bf303db167.jpg

One half done. 

PXL_20221112_232025800_MP.thumb.jpg.468ed4c860d0d2d605f6b176ffaadd63.jpg

Now the other. 

PXL_20221113_173852558_MP.thumb.jpg.560765b5b0a54719ccea65c84e29bebb.jpg

The maintenance wells were primed and then painted. There's over 20 parts in this section alone. 

PXL_20221112_223617541.thumb.jpg.54057431b6d50eaaa0c7b47cda773ef5.jpg

PXL_20221112_234501628.thumb.jpg.f07495488842254b48c83ab0a46f36a9.jpg

 

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Probably not the usual build on here but I figured it's big enough. If not, mods feel free to move it to the appropriate section. 

Anyways, this is the Bandai Perfect Grade Millennium Falcon. Being the original release, it has a lighting kit,  PE and decals instead of stickers. 

PXL_20221111_215221411.thumb.jpg.e4babd876c953eadc8a7714cbfe56c05.jpg

The box of sprues is big enough I'm going to have to leave it under the bench. 

PXL_20221111_220459850.thumb.jpg.4dbdb5fcbd282e2ce2be8a01bdfbafd1.jpg

Here's the ZM 109 on top of the upper main hull bit to give an of the size. 

PXL_20221111_215842324.thumb.jpg.c19e5659221aa8110794de9e60fdfb83.jpg

It's huge! Interesting subject.....

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice Carl, only a few more panels to do :D. I will buckle in for a dramatic hyperspace ride. I thought about getting one too, but I'm not enough of a Star Was fan, but the Falcon is definitely tempting.

Cheers Rob

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

It's huge! Interesting subject.....

Thanks! It's going to be fun. 

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

Nice Carl, only a few more panels to do :D. I will buckle in for a dramatic hyperspace ride. I thought about getting one too, but I'm not enough of a Star Was fan, but the Falcon is definitely tempting.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob. I missed out when Fine Molds originally released their 1/72 Falcon kit so when they did a re-issue, I bought while I could. Then of course Bandai put theirs out. The way I rationalized that one is the Bandai one is the Falcon from Star Wars and the Fine Molds one is the later version from Empire Strikes Back onwards. :D

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Onto some progress with the mandibles. 

Following the instructions (heresy I know :D) I assembled the sidewalls.

PXL_20221113_220425133_MP.thumb.jpg.44c1ed11ac324853bc0b64dcfda98e64.jpg

One thing that's been fun with this build has been identifying the various model parts that were used on the original and that have been reproduced on this kit. 

Here's a car chassis. 

PXL_20221113_220638762.thumb.jpg.7619f727216cb1b9b4af50ad8bb9cb20.jpg

There's a ton of tank parts and F1 model bits on here too. See the transmission on the left side.

PXL_20221113_221456837.thumb.jpg.3a048c0b73a77a1451be38da68a47d2b.jpg

With the maintenance pits in place. 

PXL_20221113_221516144.thumb.jpg.0a5e3b25452eecf3cf990f998f9152c1.jpg

I then glued the two halves together even though the model is press fit. Just wanted to be sure. 

PXL_20221113_222128881.thumb.jpg.49c3bac2d05d76b3e0e90172d24ebf80.jpg

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Time to add the detail bits to the sub-assembly. 

PXL_20221114_045636626.thumb.jpg.f5c7ed670bb097a3105324024855e8a2.jpg

Lots of piping to add. Thankfully they're moulded in ABS so they're a bit stronger than the usual styrene. 

PXL_20221115_222310244.thumb.jpg.a41499b0986c07cefb614fa796cf52c6.jpg

PXL_20221115_214120240_MP.thumb.jpg.27cbbdebc49984ad6b9558249f42d213.jpg

Then time for paint and blending in. 

PXL_20221116_004044310.thumb.jpg.b9602ee600499e04f30599c50be481e3.jpg

PXL_20221115_222310244.thumb.jpg.a41499b0986c07cefb614fa796cf52c6.jpg

So one done, one to go. 

PXL_20221116_004053621.jpg

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like the pre-shading on the mandibles.  I also like it when modeling companies make extra skinny tubing structures.  This is one thing that ICM does...   they are very bold when it comes to modelling fine cylindrical parts for LG and stuff.   However, the plastic they use is both softer than you want for large parts, and more brittle than you want for frail parts. 

Keep up the inspiring work!  I was gonna make a different joke about the cat's paw...   but since you already have one, I'll leave it at that.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very cool and I find it very interesting how you are building it and painting as you go.  I'm a big fan of painting on the sprues, but you are also doing the same thing with the assemblies as you add bits.  I like that!  VERY cool subject and looking forward to how you tackle the lighting.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, CANicoll said:

Very cool and I find it very interesting how you are building it and painting as you go.  I'm a big fan of painting on the sprues, but you are also doing the same thing with the assemblies as you add bits.  I like that!  VERY cool subject and looking forward to how you tackle the lighting.

Thanks! There's so many tight corners and what-have-you that this is probably the best approach to painting it. 

15 hours ago, CANicoll said:

OH, and I am SERIOUSLY envious of your paint racks!  WOW...

They're sold by Ammo but are made by HobbyZone. They have different size openings depending on the type of paint brand you want to store. Best part is they're not expensive. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm absolutely not an 'on the sprue' airbrusher, but make few exceptions when necessary. I always find spots of weak coverage, when I do. With the Falcon, it seems like the way to go, you can't place enough clips on your desk, without creating havoc.

Cheers Rob

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...