The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Italeri 1/35 Elco 80' Torpedo Boat PT-596

Deadline looming so pushing on and hopefully I’ll make it. The hull is the the shop, too big for the booth so spraying in the garage. I love the AK camo putty………a tweak on the boat, last time I was at Telford, Eduard were giving away packs of AFV 1/35 straps and hold downs etc. so I thought why not……..

IMG_7651.thumb.jpeg.abf04ab44d04febfe1581308f47dec29.jpeg

IMG_7718.thumb.jpeg.5ebb7c22a9e912ca7df88083c5943872.jpeg

IMG_0167.thumb.jpeg.aff106538d57d9dedfec3eff2befd5b8.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

Like the others said, those straps look great and add a lot of eye candy to the PT-boat, Phil.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob, very pleased with the straps, I’m now into your territory as far as fitting everything without breaking other parts. The spraying schedule has been a nightmare, getting the correct order and not screw up previous work is a balancing act……….

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

I like your attention to detail Phil, methodical and crispy clean work. Joy to follow.

Cheers

Martin

Thanks Martin, that’s my engineering background coming out, well I hope so anyway. I also hate an untidy bench, so I probably spend more time clearing the bench and returning tools to their correct residencies than building…………

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Thanks Martin, that’s my engineering background coming out, well I hope so anyway. I also hate an untidy bench, so I probably spend more time clearing the bench and returning tools to their correct residencies than building…………

Me too ;)

Hubert

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

The sneak peek looks amazing. Hope that you can finish in time. Either way, can't wait to see her finished. 

Thanks Carl, I think I’ll make it, the biggest hurdle has been the spraying and and assembling finished parts…….

6 hours ago, GazzaS said:

That looks great, Phil!  Hope you give us lots of close ups for the RFI.

Thanks Gaz, my photography skills are not great and I always struggle. This is large,  so finding a suitable area to position it is going to be fun. I might even try outside? You must do a 35th E Boat to go with your 72nd…….

1 hour ago, Bomber_County said:

Thanks Gaz, my photography skills are not great and I always struggle. This is large,  so finding a suitable area to position it is going to be fun. I might even try outside? You must do a 35th E Boat to go with your 72nd…….

I've seen the 1/35 S-boat completed recently in person.  Just too big.  And a lot of stuff to detail.  I think 1/72 is  a great scale for patrol type craft. 

Back when I was a young Marine, I was trying to scratch build a 1/72 scale destroyer.  This was back in the 80's and pre internet.  I just couldn't get enough detail from the few photos I could find in books.  It was 2m long.  But, the bigger it is, the more difficult it is to both fill with details and put up for display.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GazzaS said:

I've seen the 1/35 S-boat completed recently in person.  Just too big.  And a lot of stuff to detail.  I think 1/72 is  a great scale for patrol type craft. 

Back when I was a young Marine, I was trying to scratch build a 1/72 scale destroyer.  This was back in the 80's and pre internet.  I just couldn't get enough detail from the few photos I could find in books.  It was 2m long.  But, the bigger it is, the more difficult it is to both fill with details and put up for display.

You are right Gaz, you could spend a year adding more detail because the subject is so large. I had grand ideas but time was against it. That’s why when I look at 16th AFV’s there should be dripping with detail but in a lot of cases they are not, strange IMHO…………always fancied Revell’s Flower Class Corvette, not sure how big that is………

16 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

always fancied Revell’s Flower Class Corvette, not sure how big that is………

Pretty sure that's 1/72.  That's seen on the internet quite often.

5 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

It is Gaz, stem to stern it’s 850mm or 85 cm……..

If you feel passionate about it, why not.  I'm going to build the HPH BV-138 in 1/32 scale despite the fact that I have no room to display it.   And then I will probably sell it, and ship it on a pallet if I can find a buyer.  No way I would trust it to regular parcel handling.