The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Italeri 1/35 Elco 80' Torpedo Boat PT-596

'Will you be joining the GB?'

No, just passing through.  In case you didn't see the below within the link, this is a list of my references that I used for my build, if you so desire.  I also have a CD of Elco Microfilm.  A big help.  Found here: http://ptboatforum.com/documents.html

Books are:
PT 157 by Bridgeman Carney
Military Miniatures in Review No's 50 & 51
U.S. PT-Boats of World War II by Frank Johnson
PT Boats Behind the Scenes by Frank Andruss, Sr.
American PT Boats in World War II, Volume II by Victor Chun
Allied Coastal Forces of World War II, Volume II: Vosper MTBs & U.S. ELCOs by John Lambert and Al Ross.

Websites are:
http://www.fineartmodels.com/PT_Boat.html
http://pt103.com/

Good stuff.

Sincerely,

Mark

• Like 3

17 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Phil, nice bit of progress. You're right about these torpedo boats not having that much AM support which is a bit of a shame. 

Great solution for finding some rivets for detailing the boat. 

Thanks Carl, not a lot of bench time at present. The rivets are not perfect in scale but add interest….

• Like 3

15 hours ago, GusMac said:

Helm looks really good Phil aand the overall scale is nicely imposing.

Thanks Gus much appreciated, my scratch building is no where near as component as some people here. Getting the scale right for the helm components was the biggest headache……..

• Like 4

4 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

'Will you be joining the GB?'

No, just passing through.  In case you didn't see the below within the link, this is a list of my references that I used for my build, if you so desire.  I also have a CD of Elco Microfilm.  A big help.  Found here: http://ptboatforum.com/

Mark. Thank so much for the links, there going to be have to some late night reading to scour details for the build. So very kind of you. Shame you couldn’t be joining us. Thank you once again……I tried to join the PT Boat Forum but had a very rude email back from the admins because I had followed their instructions to the letter……….I didn’t bother after that……..

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DocRob said:

Your PT is shaping up well, Phil. The extra detailing in the bridge section looks great.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob, much appreciated, it’s been awhile since I did any scratch building so trying to remember all of the tricks I learnt years ago. …….

• Like 3

Phil

Nice progress on the helm and the added details looks good and add a lot. Hard to phantom why there is so little AM for some kits and way too much for others.

Carl's paint scheme suggestions certainly are different - never knew they wore they type of cammo. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Phil, if you need any paint suggestions how about either of these: I'm going cross eyed just looking at the first one. 

Carl, man that would put you in a tail spin trying mask and spray that camo……thanks but I think I’d have a migraine every time I looked at it……

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Phil

Nice progress on the helm and the added details looks good and add a lot. Hard to phantom why there is so little AM for some kits and way 

Thanks Peter much appreciated, the helm is probably not scale accurate but adds a little interest. The kit parts just consisted of throttles, PE switch plate, wheel and instrument decal to be added. So very very little. A little more PE would have pushed the price a fraction but considering it’s a considered buy in the first place in the long term worth it……….all the cleaning of every single part is also really annoying but I must admit I am fairly OCD of getting every part under the magnifying lens…….

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Migraine camouflage is the winner. :)  Looking good Phil. 

Thanks Martin, it’s a fun build. As for the camo, I agree the stock OOB scheme is a little boring, trying to replicate this scheme is, let’s say be a challenge……I reckon try it on a paint mule first……..

• Like 3

11 hours ago, CANicoll said:

Don't we all!!

Roll on retirement or if I read the sign’s correctly at my company the following may happen. We have recently merged with another company and then we have all been acquired by a multi national. So my company is dead in the water and hopefully after 28 years there they may just make me redundant. Here in the UK we are eligible for severance pay……..This is after a HR email saying “we encourage “ everyone to apply for positions in the multi national company…….hmmmmmm 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Bomber_County said:

Roll on retirement or if I read the sign’s correctly at my company the following may happen. We have recently merged with another company and then we have all been acquired by a multi national. So my company is dead in the water and hopefully after 28 years there they may just make me redundant. Here in the UK we are eligible for severance pay……..This is after a HR email saying “we encourage “ everyone to apply for positions in the multi national company…….hmmmmmm 

Worker benefits there are much better than here.  I worked for a telecom company that was acquired by a French company.  They got a year's notice of layoffs. Plus benefits.  I got 30 minutes to close out my accounts...

• Sad 3

20 hours ago, JohnB said:

This will be a beauty for sure! I look forward to seeing the completed model. :) I had one of these in my stash but sold it a while back. Now I wish I hadn't! 🤪

Thanks John, it’s a fun build except the continuous cleanup of the parts. You may be able to pick up another on eBay. Alternatively have a look at their S38 or S100………

• Like 4