Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Italeri 1/35 Elco 80' Torpedo Boat PT-596

3 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Now I'm really curious about how you will paint it.

I’ve be thinking about this also. I think I’m going to finish and spray all the deck assemblies, then spray the hull and deck. Then assemble everything, there are tabs in the deck that I can glue the deck elements underneath. The helm and bridge will need spraying twice as getting in to detail will be difficult. That s the plan………I hope……..

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Thanks Martin, it’s a fun build. As for the camo, I agree the stock OOB scheme is a little boring, trying to replicate this scheme is, let’s say be a challenge……I reckon try it on a paint mule first……..

It's just beaucoup de masking tape and your sanity after all , what could possibly go wrong 😀 Be outstanding if you could pull it off though. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, PanzerWomble said:

It's just beaucoup de masking tape and your sanity after all , what could possibly go wrong 😀 Be outstanding if you could pull it off though. 

It’s the sanity I’m concerned about………it would be fun but just doesn’t push the right levers………

• Like 3

I’ve now caught the scratch building bug. Adapted the 20mm , the ammo rack is kit PE, firing handles and recoil added more to do on this The grab rails as you can see were awful amorphous blob. So 1mm brass drilled out and cut Alu ferrels and after I’ve cleaned them up, I reckon they’ll be good to go……..I’m happy with them…….

62F4A61C-54E9-497A-88EA-87C5C5D32C11.thumb.jpeg.37137e9c1e97339d861d9ecea4a28d46.jpeg

88375E34-06E8-4261-8629-57CFF09F2016.thumb.jpeg.b129103ecba9df6664b7869f23968262.jpeg

• Like 12

2 hours ago, GazzaS said:

That is sharp work, Phil!  I like fixing the little things that aren't too complicated...   gives me a feeling of satisfaction.

Gaz, thanks me too. It took me awhile to figure out the railing as I didn’t have any outer slide tube. Drilling out the aluminium and then cutting it into 2mm lengths was time consuming but as you said satisfying……

• Like 3

The kit benefits a lot from your scratched details Phil. It's what brings live to a kit, specially such a large one. I have to admit, I love to work with brass, it's a metal with so many positive characteristics for modelling.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

On 2/19/2023 at 10:40 AM, DocRob said:

The kit benefits a lot from your scratched details Phil. It's what brings live to a kit, specially such a large one. I have to admit, I love to work with brass, it's a metal with so many positive characteristics for modelling.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob, I must admit working with metal is preferable, I’m not sure how far to take the details…….

• Like 4

On 2/19/2023 at 1:56 PM, Peterpools said:

Phil

Some very nice detail work as they accumulatively add to the overall fell of the model and give the eye new places to search and enjoy.

Thanks Peter, much appreciated. I’m hoping just to highlight certain aspects, I could go the whole mile but I reckon that’s a years worth of my limited bench time…….

• Like 3

Small update, had a couple of hours over the weekend, the 37mm is done and after modifications to the 20mm, I’m calling that done to. After removing the barrel , I drillied out the centre and added a recoil spring as the original………bit fiddly but I think it works….see before and after….

C78BF363-8A23-4FC2-9529-F401BEC5A4BC.thumb.jpeg.278a68116ac64b9ae09dc93a43f654b1.jpeg

16F1DC8E-9791-42E3-9530-01D96DCC2D45.thumb.jpeg.f4f8908a86369faddf5bbb5c4e23ac35.jpeg

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Phil

Some mighty nice upgrade and detail work on the 37mm -- looking fantastic.

Thanks Peter, it’s fun having a go at scratch building, sometimes it’s successful, I must admit it took me 3 attempts at getting the handles and trigger mechanism to look half decent……

• Like 3