The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Italeri 1/35 Elco 80' Torpedo Boat PT-596

1 hour ago, Martinnfb said:

This baby is shaping really nicely Phil. Always enjoying your progress. 👍

Thanks Martin, much appreciated. It’s slow compared with you guys but enjoyable build nonetheless. Just wish Italeri would review their tooling. Everything has a mismatched part line which has to be cleaned……..

• Like 1

On 4/7/2023 at 7:37 AM, Peterpools said:

Phil

Unbelievable progress! Some mighty incredible work on the details as they are bringing your PT up to a new level - awesome work.

Thanks Peter, much appreciated. I’m now doing the mast assembly, not sure if to make collapsible or not………

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

Looks great, Phil.

Thanks Gaz, much appreciated. I’ll finish up all the sub assemblies and then I’ll have to wait awhile. Reason is this will not fit anywhere near the spray booth. I’ll wait for warmer weather, empty the garage of cars and then spray the hull and deck in there……..that’s the plan ………

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Thanks Gaz, much appreciated. I’ll finish up all the sub assemblies and then I’ll have to wait awhile. Reason is this will not fit anywhere near the spray booth. I’ll wait for warmer weather, empty the garage of cars and then spray the hull and deck in there……..that’s the plan ………

Hopefully you'll get some luck Phil....  warmer weather up here is normally a couple of days in July if we're lucky!

• Like 2

Some bench time has been dedicated to improving the mast. Luckily I found original elevations of the late mast. The first pic is the kit part and the other two as we stand today. Not sure if the flag rope looks good or not, jury still out. Any comment’s welcome………

IMG_0107.thumb.jpeg.4d983593108aeecf356967c44458657f.jpeg

IMG_0113.thumb.jpeg.49a1e171f11c29550b1504f696467dc4.jpeg

IMG_0112.thumb.jpeg.14e2c011f2d41bfe57253178951a2bd4.jpeg

• Like 4

Peter, you know when you have that gnawing in your brain that something just doesn’t fit right……..I have it with this rope……Looking at what I have remaining on the sprues, it’s not a lot………….going to have to think hard if I detail the liferaft………..there is a Mosquito in my ear that keeps saying to me BUILD ME………..also I have spray and fit all the subassemblies……

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DocRob said:

I'm with Gary, I think the rope is bueno for that scale. Can't wait to see more progress, Phil.

Thanks Rob. The “rope” is fishing thread for fixing eyes onto a fishing rod. I bought the reel of thread maybe 45 years ago……….

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Thanks Gaz much appreciated, I need to learn how the rope would have been secured…….

haha...   have you ever seen the USN sailor's manual?  My uncle was in the USN, and it's quite a thick book.  The knot section was huge.

• Like 2

On 4/19/2023 at 5:53 AM, Bomber_County said:

Thanks Gaz much appreciated, I need to learn how the rope would have been secured…….

On my PT boat which is a mid production boat. there was a cleat on either side of the radar mast.
Like the below diagram running verticallyimage.jpeg.8c08b0de402599dd1503f4ae118b59cc.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1