The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

ZM Bf 109G Hartmann

Peter, with your decal conundrum is exactly the reason I just do not enjoy the spraying and decalling stage. So many of builds have been in my opinion compromised because of spraying or the decalling. To quote John a giant PITA. The build looks amazing fingers crossed for the masks. As far as the Skyraider, I’m kicking myself that I passed on a ZM plus weapons pack for under £90 🙄

• Like 2

Phil

OMG, L90 - what a steal. I paid $154 with tax and shipping for just the kit. My favorite part of any build is actually painting and decaling and in the case of the 109, the issue wasn't the Cartograf decals but ZM choices regarding the fuselage crosses. In the end, this is forcing me to learn how to use masks and that's a big plus for sure.  

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

BACK IN THE SADDLE

It’s been quite some time since the ZM 109 was front and center on the bench and the irony is the build stopped as I needed to buy paint masks for the upper wings and fuselage crosses. The DN mask set had arrived a while back and now I’m waiting for cockpit glass masks for the P-38. The 109 is back on the bench and underway again.

Fingers crossed all goes well, as I needed to review where I left off and pick up the build at that point. Of course, the morning I was ready to get underway, the forum was down; not good.

Full confession: except for canopy masks, I’ve never used a single aircraft paint mask; I have bought them in the past but just never used them. I struggled to figure out how to get the crosses on correctly and the fuselage crosses also needed the center of each cross painted RLM 74, it’s a lot harder then I thought. I finally remembered about marking the masks and the placement marks on the model after the fact – next time I’ll know.

Decals are by Cartograf, beautifully done and nothing more need be said. The white could have been a bit more opaque but more then usable.

The tulips around the nose took a lot of time to get right and they did fit perfectly.  Just take your time, A few more decals to go and this phase of the build will be completed.

YS7RsT.jpg

JIECOX.jpg

YEHfAY.jpg

5kS0ks.jpg

UIglmI.jpg

VSPEkX.jpg

• Like 10

Peter, that looks great. Nice work on the masks for the insignia.

Comparing the one I started with yours and others, I have realized that mine isn't off like I thought it was and I'll need to get back to it. 

• Like 1

Fantastic progress Peter, painting and decaling / masking looks perfect. I used some masks on planes over the years and normally, I was pretty satisfied. Last time with my Corsair build, I had some difficulties to align the 1ManArmy masks for the stars and bars correct on the rounded fuselage. It was not the fault of the masks, quite the opposite, as 1ManArmy recommends to use transparent transfer film onto the mask, which helps placing and aligning different elements of a stencil or insignia. By the time, I had no frisk film, but used clear adhesive tape after my first fail, which worked as well.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

THE HOME STRETCH

Paint work, decals and masking are finished, or at least as much as I am planning on doing. Pin washes were done and for the first time, I made my own oil washes along with some Ultimate Model Products panel line wash. Once dried and cleaned up, Alclad Semi Matte Clear was air brushed on and the ‘feel’ looks good.

Exhausts and the upper exhaust shields were glued in place, as well as the prop and spinner. Working on the gear, which I have to confess, I missed the mark here pretty badly.

I decided to have the canopy in the closed position (just resting in place for now), as almost everything can be seen in the front office, as the glass is crystal clear, plus the AirScale shoulder harnesses still need to be made and installed. I’m in the process of wrestling with the carpet monster, as I dropped the antenna and can’t find it; par for the course. The last of the smaller bits and pieces still need to be added: nav lights, antenna & aerial wires, pitot tube, engine cowl braces and a few other goodies and the 109 is done.

The fuselage radio access panel needs to be painted, decaled and installed as well (completely forgot); one of the casualties of the long break between stopping and starting again.

What I enjoyed most: the cammo air brush work and learning to use paint masks.

mJMect.jpg

6bWq5r.jpg

YGazc6.jpg

77uD00.jpg

rRZLyj.jpg

7mKz65.jpg

• Like 6

Beautifully done, or almost done, Peter. The markings blend in perfectly with the paintjob, which in itself looks great. The best thing you can achieve with a kit to my eye is, when everything looks right, which is definitely the case with your 109.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

Thanks Rob

Very much appreciated. Learned a few new tricks and techniques along the way and am very pleased how everything blends together. ZM's instructions, while good looking, are over complicated and that, for me, added to some questionable moments. Hoping to finish her up over the weekend and then onto my next 32nd scale project:

Tamiya P-51D-5 with a Quinta front office and all the rivets puttied in.

• Like 1

I’m with Rob and Mike. This is looking extremely good.
It may have been difficult at times, but the finished product definitely looks like - to my 109-layman’s eyes - the the best 109-G in this scale, and you’ve done it it justice.

Hubert

• Like 1

Hubert, so very much appreciated. A few bits tomorrow to do and she will be in the books and done. To me ZM just has a way over complicating things, starting with the instructions that are way too cluttered. All in all, I'm very pleased with how the Bf 109 came out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peterpools said:

THE HOME STRETCH

Paint work, decals and masking are finished, or at least as much as I am planning on doing. Pin washes were done and for the first time, I made my own oil washes along with some Ultimate Model Products panel line wash. Once dried and cleaned up, Alclad Semi Matte Clear was air brushed on and the ‘feel’ looks good.

Exhausts and the upper exhaust shields were glued in place, as well as the prop and spinner. Working on the gear, which I have to confess, I missed the mark here pretty badly.

I decided to have the canopy in the closed position (just resting in place for now), as almost everything can be seen in the front office, as the glass is crystal clear, plus the AirScale shoulder harnesses still need to be made and installed. I’m in the process of wrestling with the carpet monster, as I dropped the antenna and can’t find it; par for the course. The last of the smaller bits and pieces still need to be added: nav lights, antenna & aerial wires, pitot tube, engine cowl braces and a few other goodies and the 109 is done.

The fuselage radio access panel needs to be painted, decaled and installed as well (completely forgot); one of the casualties of the long break between stopping and starting again.

What I enjoyed most: the cammo air brush work and learning to use paint masks.

mJMect.jpg

6bWq5r.jpg

YGazc6.jpg

77uD00.jpg

rRZLyj.jpg

7mKz65.jpg

Outstanding Peter. Really nice!!! :)

• Like 1