The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya Mosquito FB Mk VI 60326 - 1/32

16 hours ago, DocRob said:

Looking all good Phil, you are truly flying through this build. I loved the wheels especially, when I glued them together, as a test, if AM is necessary, but the way Tamiya engineered the wheels there is no need.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob much appreciated. I’ve never known a build to come together so quickly. I guess because the nil “cuss factors” that exist. For years I haven’t built this as it seemed daunting but not at all. Everyone should build one in the career.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Phil

Awesome progress and some mighty fine work. The Mossie is in a class by herself and maybe did Tamiya in with the cost of the kit ... who knows just glad we have the 

Thanks Peter much appreciated. In wonder if the Mossie was too much for Tamiya. Saying that I believe it still sells look at their 1975 Lancaster that is still being produced.  I miss the cuss factors a little because the kit is so good…

• Like 2

14 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Awesome looking work!  This kit really says what they can bring to the table.  Wish they'd pop more 1/32 aircraft.

Thanks Gaz, it’s a very satisfying build. When you look at the new Devastator @ around £100 and this Mosquito at around £200 the differential in detail, engineering, moulding, instructions, decals is a millennium apart………yes, so please Mr Tamiya more 32nd …………..

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Thanks Gaz, it’s a very satisfying build. When you look at the new Devastator @ around £100 and this Mosquito at around £200 the differential in detail, engineering, moulding, instructions, decals is a millennium apart………yes, so please Mr Tamiya more 32nd …………..

Ahh. You know what, I’d have bought a Tamiya 1/32 TBD in a heartbeat. Ditto for for a glass-nosed Mossie…But I am in the « non-significance » percentile of Tamiya’s market researchers. Hence why I have spent a lot more with each of Special Hobby, Kittykawk, Fisher or HpH (or even Trumpeter) than I will ever with Tamiya ;) …

This said, your build is top notch, Phil 👍 !

Hubert

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Thanks Peter much appreciated. In wonder if the Mossie was too much for Tamiya. Saying that I believe it still sells look at their 1975 Lancaster that is still being produced.  I miss the cuss factors a little because the kit is so good…

Phil

It's hard to compare Tamiya's current price with present day kits. When the Mossie first came out, it was expensive and that didn't stop me from buying the Mossie as soon as the kit was available. Over time, the talk on the street was the kit was a huge investment and the return on their investment and resources was below expectations and I have no idea if that is correct or not. We all were expecting another version or two of the Mossie from Tamiya which never appeared, as she was the last of the 'new' 32nd scale releases if I remember correctly.  🙁

I'm a Tamiya "Fan Boy" and proud of it and wish and wish they would come back to 32nd scale. My only guess is, placing their investment in their recent 48th kits, which are the class of the scale, the return is more significant. I really haven't a clue, but I have purchased all their latest 48th scale offerings are they are superb.🏆

• Like 3

23 hours ago, HubertB said:

Ahh. You know what, I’d have bought a Tamiya 1/32 TBD in a heartbeat. Ditto for for a glass-nosed Mossie…But I am in the « non-significance » percentile of Tamiya’s market researchers. Hence why I have spent a lot more with each of Special Hobby, Kittykawk, Fisher or HpH (or even Trumpeter) than I will ever with Tamiya ;) …

This said, your build is top notch, Phil 👍 !

Hubert

Hubert, thanks much appreciated. I find the same as you except with their AFV’s. They are up against some serious competition from the likes of RFM, Takom, Dragon in as far as detail but do not want to compete. Therefore I’m in your camp that I will not purchase their AFV’s…..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Phil

It's hard to compare Tamiya's current price with present day kits. When the Mossie first came out, it was expensive and that didn't stop me from buying the Mossie as soon as the kit was available. Over time, the talk on the street was the kit was a huge investment and the return on their investment and resources was below expectations and I have no idea if that is correct or not. We all were expecting another version or two of the Mossie from Tamiya which never appeared, as she was the last of the 'new' 32nd scale releases if I remember correctly.  🙁

I'm a Tamiya "Fan Boy" and proud of it and wish and wish they would come back to 32nd scale. My only guess is, placing their investment in their recent 48th kits, which are the class of the scale, the return is more significant. I really haven't a clue, but I have purchased all their latest 48th scale offerings are they are superb.🏆

Peter, I think you’re right. I’ve their P38 in the stash but that’s it as far as their new 48th scale products…..

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Engines almost finished and now mounted into the nacelles. Rear deck of the cockpit complete. Added the wiring harness with lead wire and scratch built brass cable clips which were the blackened. Fuel tanks complete and LG coming on, touch ups here and there. Props assembled and bosses in aluminium now to mask off and add the black blades. That’s where we are……

IMG_0242.thumb.jpeg.545f42855c619804b694c8aced9391da.jpeg

IMG_0243.thumb.jpeg.a8795f01f1815d09e4f9e6be27587418.jpeg

IMG_0245.thumb.jpeg.3d395731fc7825ed9033890c2501ea27.jpeg

IMG_0244.thumb.jpeg.55ca7ebbe3bcf0e5d918851967b21915.jpeg

IMG_0246.thumb.jpeg.6283efcf373d81fbb1599c0df51cd2cf.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, DocRob said:

Fantastic progress Phil, so many described the Mossie build as demanding due to it's complexity. You make it look smooth and easy. The extra detail does some eye catching, superb.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob, that’s what I read that it was demanding, complex and a mojo drainer. Man, did they get that so wrong. 
You could go overboard on the extra details, been looking at the 20mm cannons and they are ripe for plumbing and wiring……..you must do yours soon……

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Phil

Just glad you finally jumped in and enjoying a fantastic kit. Nothing like Tamiya and that's coming from a Fan Boy, even an old one.

Thanks Peter, I am enjoying it. Wish they would update and add more to their AFV range now……

13 hours ago, PanzerWomble said:

I thought this one was supposed to be the "lost grave of modellers" Phil? 

Looking pretty close to completion to me . Really beautiful looking model . Crack on !

Thanks PW, much appreciated. I’d also heard the this kit was a mojo killer and so complex. Do not believe a word of it. Yes you have to concentrate and build in sub assemblies but the instructions are flawless. Compared with Dragon or similar instructions and parts count, it’s a breeze………

• Like 3