The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

On the mend.

Bill_S

On Monday, I finally had it done. Supposed relief that has plagued me terribly the past couple of years. Spinal stenosis, a closing in of the vertebrae, causing a pinch of the spinal cord. The surgeon removed part of the aft side of four of the lumbar vertebrae, leaving just muscle and scar tissue to protect the nerve. No pins, screws or rods involved! Right now, it is one angry nerve, too. I'm still in a lot of discomfort, but at least the pain down both legs has subsided.

While I'm recuperating, I've yielded to temptation and started drilling lightening holes in the Kotare Spitfire. Don't expect progress reports any time soon.

• Like 9

Good luck man!  I suffer from severe stenosis and arthritis as well.  Not really bad shooting pains like I had back in 1999 when I had surgery, but I will get strange sensations in my lower legs, weakness in my legs depending on weather.  
One day I’m barely able to walk up the stairs and the next is like nothing is wrong.  

Surgeon told me my only option was a lower fusion and recommended I avoid that as long as I can.  

Of course I’m also dealing with flat feet and bad knees.  Going to a knee guy and a podiatrist later this month. 

• Like 6

All the best and speedy recovery Bill. I don't understand all the specifics you had to go through, but I had my share of pain in the back some years ago, albeit not with the legs being effected. I trained a lot over the last year to strengthen my core, where especially surfing, swimming, yoga and dedicated training helped a lot as well as stopping to play baseball. Now, I'm more or less pain free in the back, a status, I would have thought impossible to achieve some years ago. 
Why am I telling this, it's to show, there is a perspective often, to acquire new life quality after the valley of pain. If I have health issues, I tend to think of the ones which went by and are forgotten now and this makes it easier to deal with.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 5

22 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Of course I’m also dealing with flat feet and bad knees.  Going to a knee guy and a podiatrist later this month. 

Right there with you on that one. been wearing orthotics for years, and my knees and back are still crap because of my dumb feet! Might help if I took some weight off of them......

• Like 5

3 hours ago, biggtim said:

Right there with you on that one. been wearing orthotics for years, and my knees and back are still crap because of my dumb feet! Might help if I took some weight off of them......

Seems to be a common theme we have. :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Been there done that Bill!!! Here's a peek at my "hardware". Worked fine and gave me good relief for several years but now, not so good. NOT going to do it again though!

9-27-17.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

Bill,

Great to hear that yoyr pain has somewhat lessened  and you are on the mend.

Get well soon and wish you all the best in your recuperation. 

And John  OUCH !! seeing that , it looks like it was a painful and long haul of an operation.

Both of you and others in similar position, take care and Get Well soon.

:wub:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MARU 5137 said:

Bill,

Great to hear that yoyr pain has somewhat lessened  and you are on the mend.

Get well soon and wish you all the best in your recuperation. 

And John  OUCH !! seeing that , it looks like it was a painful and long haul of an operation.

Both of you and others in similar position, take care and Get Well soon.

:wub:

Thank you Maru!

• Like 2