Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Canadian Smoke

Peterpools

So Friday night some campers let a campfire get out of control on one of the popular camping islands here on the lake.  Whoever is in charge made the decision to let it burn since it’s a small island and no one is in danger.   The entire lake is now covered in smoke.  We just went out for a boat ride and visibility is very restricted. 
Thankfully we are expecting storms in the next 2-3 hours for some much needed rain and hopefully it will clear out the smoke as well. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• 1 month later...

Earlier this week it was pretty bad here in Northern Va.  The building I am in overlooks the Potomac River and some days I can't see the other side of the complex, forget seeing the river which is less than 1/2 mile away.  Smells like a fire, too.  Stay safe!!

• Sad 3

Here on Long Island, we've had a few more bad air quality days from the Canadian wildfires smoke but nothing as bad as the first few days of orange, choaking smoke a few weeks ago, for us old folk. Instead, we've been under terrible heat, oppressive humidity, severe thunderstorms with horrendous rain - just a wonderful summer. JUst not our normal summer weather. Gee, I can't wait for the winter and snow. 

• Sad 1

A few weeks ago, the air here over Central Portugal was hazy with the Canadian wildfires smokes.

Nothing like last Wednesday however, where a fire on Serra de Montejunto, 45 kms north of Lisbon, was pushed by strong Northern winds. We live 20 kms south of Losbon, and the evening sky was brown with smoke, and the air smelled burnt wood during the subsequent night. The fire was put out quickly, during the night, by some 380 firemen and 10 aerial support crafts, thankfully. Nothing like that with the Canadian fires, unfortunately.

Hubert

• Like 3

Two weeks ago, we had our share of the Canadian fires here on the Canary islands. The jet stream was working perfectly and we had a burning smell in the air and lots of dark particles on the ground. Since then, there was a large fire on my neighbor island, but the situation is going for the better slowly.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

Be careful you guys................ if you complain too loudly about inhaling Canadian smoke, and if our Government sees this, they may TAX you guys on importing our exported smoke !😋🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 8

I would apologize but I have been in the US longer than I was in Canada.  I find it a bit odd that people blame bad forest management for the problem. I don’t think they realize that Canada is a vast area with most of the population near the US boarder.. There is no way the forests can be groomed to remove prior debris.  Except, possibly, by fire.

It is good to see the international volunteers arriving to help out. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Sorrento BC

Wow Martin, how terrible, we had something like that on my neighbor island for about a month. The fire destroyed 7% of the total area, luckily no houses or lives got wasted.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Terrible indeed, I can't imagine similar scenario on a closed up island. Some areas were completely destroyed, ash and bones.  I was just passing by yesterday on my way from Vancouver and thought that I would share this carnage. There was still an active fire burning somewhere in the mountains and helicopters everywhere. Just so unsettlingly sad.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...