Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Same Old Story

3 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

For a moment, I thought that you'd managed to sneak into Ernie's place and get pics of his stash! :lol:

Then I saw the Gundam models. 

Hey that's what the kids like building might move them into other areas.;)

• Like 1

Well, same old story just got me again.  Decided to stock up and went to the USA Gundam store for leveling thinner and white primer since I’m almost out.  

NOPE! No you’re not! All white primer is out of stock.  :wallbash:

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, ScottsGT said:

Well, same old story just got me again.  Decided to stock up and went to the USA Gundam store for leveling thinner and white primer since I’m almost out.  

NOPE! No you’re not! All white primer is out of stock.  :wallbash:

What about Tamiya white primer in the bottle? Do you guys have that in the US or is that another only in Canada thing?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KevinM said:

Hey that's what the kids like building might move them into other areas.;)

My boys keep buying the Zvezda 1/100 tank kits every time we go to the LHS. Which means they walk right past the Gundam section.

But thy are definitely a big thing. 

Talking to the shop owner, he said he's glad his nephew got him to start carrying Gundam kits. They've really helped keep the business going. That and Warhammer. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

What about Tamiya white primer in the bottle? Do you guys have that in the US or is that another only in Canada thing?

Yea, that what I have now. Tamiya and Gunze were both out.  My last bottle of Tamiya came from Hobby Lobby, but I haven’t seen it on their shelves in quite a while.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

Yea, that what I have now. Tamiya and Gunze were both out.  My last bottle of Tamiya came from Hobby Lobby, but I haven’t seen it on their shelves in quite a while.  

These guys will ship to the US. 

https://www.sunwardhobbies.ca/mr-surfacer/?page=2

If you haven't tried the Aqueous version , that works really well too. Plus much less smell.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

My boys keep buying the Zvezda 1/100 tank kits every time we go to the LHS. Which means they walk right past the Gundam section.

But thy are definitely a big thing. 

Talking to the shop owner, he said he's glad his nephew got him to start carrying Gundam kits. They've really helped keep the business going. That and Warhammer. 

Well your boys learned history then so many today do not as to the LHS changing it is what it is.I remember a HS in Pensacola that was like a warehouse went one time belong to an ole navy fella if not mistaken.It was the biggest HS I had ever been in he closed due to the internet when I went back some years later for a second visit.:hsmack:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yup, same old story .... been looking for specific paint masks for the Tamiya 1/48 P-47D Razorback and except for eBay. searches have come up: Backordered - Out of Stock.  It's almost to the point now that if I can't purchase a canopy mask with a kit, I pass up buying the kit. Just don't understand why it's so hard to keep the more popular masks in stock. Another reason to try and focus buying kits that come with at least a canopy mask and seatbelts.  I'm worn out and will need a nap. :hsmack:

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Yup, same old story .... been looking for specific paint masks for the Tamiya 1/48 P-47D Razorback and except for eBay. searches have come up: Backordered - Out of Stock.  It's almost to the point now that if I can't purchase a canopy with a kit, I pass up buying the kit. Just don't understand why it's so hard to keep the more popular masks in stock. Another reason to try and focus buying kits that come with at least a canopy mask and seatbelts.  I'm worn out and will need a nap. :hsmack:

🤪

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Went to order paint for the newest build on the bench and of course Sprue was completely out of RLM 02. Scratch that…back to USAGundam for the paint.  (Slow to ship, but they have it ). RLM 02 is like the primer, base color coat for everything German. Ugh…either Luftwaffe is very popular right now or someone forgot to stock up! 

• Like 2

Just seems as if this is the way of the future for not just our hobby but almost everything. 

I tend to spend more time trying to find online what I need from the fewest number of vendors, so I just don't keep paying for shipping over and over again. Being nearly impossible, I now plan out and commit to a project after I have found, ordered and have what I need on hand, otherwise, the project is not even started - just too frustrating and time consuming any other way. :hsmack:

• Like 5

Just seems as if this is the way of the future for not just our hobby but almost everything. 

I tend to spend more time trying to find online what I need from the fewest number of vendors, so I just don't keep paying for shipping over and over again. Being nearly impossible, I now plan out and commit to a project after I have found, ordered and have what I need on hand, otherwise, the project is put on a hold until I have what I need - jus and or build after

• Like 2

I can sympathise Guy. I ended up buying the Swedish colours for the Viggen from Super Hobby in Poland. None of the UK or French stockists had much of anything useful in stock.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, GusMac said:

I can sympathise Guy. I ended up buying the Swedish colours for the Viggen from Super Hobby in Poland. None of the UK or French stockists had much of anything useful in stock.

Everyone rants about how good they are but they are nearly always out of stock in the UK  , TBH given up on the idea of using them , I'm not paying to import them from CZ , or buying endless 'sets ' to get a particular colour.

I'm also not sure what the score with Alclad UK is now either as they seem to have disappeared / rebranded / doubled in price/ half the range they used to have . Meanwhile I can walk into any Hobbycraft and pick up most Tamiya's colours for a coupla quid. 

Go BREXIT I thought. 🤮

• Like 4

• Administrators

Some Hobbytowns carry Gunze, and I'm blessed to have two close by. One about a mile from my office, and another about 20 miles distant. 

Gunze (Mr Color) is really hit and miss around here, but if the Gundam store has it, then it's a decent backup I suppose.

I can't function without Leveling Thinner. That stuff, to me, is a magic elixir

• Like 7

For years in Canada the only way to find Mr Color was at the local anime shops which also sold Gundam kits. Then a couple hobby shops started getting it in and it's been much easier to find since. 

Same goes for Tamiya, looks like we get their entire line of paints, including their enamels but I think that's partly due to the long relationship between Tamiya and the Canadian distributor.

MRP on the other hand, is forbidden fruit. Same as Zero paints. 

• Sad 2

There is no local supplier for Mr. Color paints near me. I order from Burbank's House of Hobbies; they almost always have the colors I need in stock, and they're usually delivered within four days.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bill_S said:

There is no local supplier for Mr. Color paints near me. I order from Burbank's House of Hobbies; they almost always have the colors I need in stock, and they're usually delivered within four days.

I order from them a lot...a good business.

• Like 2

same problem over here.

I also try to order everything from one shop but its always somthing thats missing.

Its gettig frustrated.

I need to order reskit parts but 25percent not in stock.

So i have send them a email (the lhs) and the are going to order them for me so everithing can be shipd in 1 time.

Mark

• Like 2

13 hours ago, PanzerWomble said:

Everyone rants about how good they are but they are nearly always out of stock in the UK  , TBH given up on the idea of using them , I'm not paying to import them from CZ , or buying endless 'sets ' to get a particular colour.

I'm also not sure what the score with Alclad UK is now either as they seem to have disappeared / rebranded / doubled in price/ half the range they used to have . Meanwhile I can walk into any Hobbycraft and pick up most Tamiya's colours for a coupla quid. 

Go BREXIT I thought. 🤮

I think that the metal lacquers sold by Ammo, Mig Jiminez's company, are rebranded Alcald paints. I could be wrong but the bottles look very similar.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, GusMac said:

I think that the metal lacquers sold by Ammo, Mig Jiminez's company, are rebranded Alcald paints. I could be wrong but the bottles look very similar.

I think you maybe right , i did look at HR Hobbies website last summer ( they had basic colours only then) but now apparently according to some other f'rum ...

It seems Alclad split into a UK and USA operation. So, if you're in the USA, don't worry, it's business as usual. In the UK, Alclad became HR hobbies but Alclad (USA) weren't happy as the two ranges were too similar. So in the end, the UK paint is now distributed by Mig, after slapping a nice little premium on the price ! 

My thoughts on ammo are they would bottle 2nd hand dogfood and sell it as a "modelling texturing product" if they could ....snake oil salesmen and I've never got on with their bottle paints much . *

*Just my opinion , if you love their stuff thats ok with me , no need to get upset. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, PanzerWomble said:

I think you maybe right , i did look at HR Hobbies website last summer ( they had basic colours only then) but now apparently according to some other f'rum ...

It seems Alclad split into a UK and USA operation. So, if you're in the USA, don't worry, it's business as usual. In the UK, Alclad became HR hobbies but Alclad (USA) weren't happy as the two ranges were too similar. So in the end, the UK paint is now distributed by Mig, after slapping a nice little premium on the price ! 

My thoughts on ammo are they would bottle 2nd hand dogfood and sell it as a "modelling texturing product" if they could ....snake oil salesmen and I've never got on with their bottle paints much . *

*Just my opinion , if you love their stuff thats ok with me , no need to get upset. 

Ha ha, yes they do produce an awful lot of 'stuff' which can be achieved by other means and the panel line washes and oilbrushers and things do tend to go off very quickly. I've got tubes of oils which are older than my kids and still going strong!

The paints are finicky and a bugger to get to spray nicely. I've done a couple of builds exclusively using Ammo but they aren't very robust although the colour range is decent.

• Like 3