The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

Got a package for Biggtim of B&B Resin Design.  Woohoo! Phantom stuff!  
Some nose corrections and hard to find (until I found out Tim has the molds) early hard wing tip conversions for the Revell Phantoms.  These open up a lot of options with the old Revell kit. 
IMG_1697.thumb.jpeg.76b7f11f01f53fedde75b801abe22ade.jpeg

• Like 10

Today my third Model Factory Hiro kit arrived, a 1968 Ferrari 312. I decided against the same car with wings, because I like the undisturbed view at the beautiful 12 cylinder engine. Before I received the kit, I thought about riveting the whole body with tiny resin rivets, but after inspecting the resin part, decided against, as there are so many so close to each other, I would fear for the stability of the body.
I think, this will be my first MFH building venture, to get a grip for the materials, specially white metal.
I try to get a magnetic tumbler polisher to my place at the world, but until now without success.

P1011338.thumb.JPG.78c414cc10b58949038afbf1ddb5f8a4.JPG

Also my Proxxon drill stand arrived, which will be a nice ´third´ hand for metal polishing and of course drilling with my trusted old Proxxon drilling machine.

P1011337.thumb.JPG.53d858e1ebb803281cb2a061ce168169.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, DocRob said:

Today my third Model Factory Hiro kit arrived, a 1968 Ferrari 312. I decided against the same car with wings, because I like the undisturbed view at the beautiful 12 cylinder engine. Before I received the kit, I thought about riveting the whole body with tiny resin rivets, but after inspecting the resin part, decided against, as there are so many so close to each other, I would fear for the stability of the body.
I think, this will be my first MFH building venture, to get a grip for the materials, specially white metal.
I try to get a magnetic tumbler polisher to my place at the world, but until now without success.

Also my Proxxon drill stand arrived, which will be a nice ´third´ hand for metal polishing and of course drilling with my trusted old Proxxon drilling machine.

Cheers Rob

Good catch. Please post a WIP, I’m intrigued on how these go together. My only whitemetal modelling was with 4mm railway kits. I never soldered but with the right solder, flux and iron it is very successful…….looking forward to the build…….

• Like 5

20 hours ago, DocRob said:

Cheers Rob

You're building up quite the collection of MFH kits Rob. 

MFH are releasing the Williams FW16 in 1/12 as a limited run of 200 kits on the 30th anniversary of Ayrton Senna's death. There's updated white metal and 3D printed parts as well as revised decals with full sponsor markings. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

MFH are releasing the Williams FW16 in 1/12 as a limited run of 200 kits on the 30th anniversary of Ayrton Senna's death. There's updated white metal and 3D printed parts as well as revised decals with full sponsor markings. 

I´ve seen the the FW16 on the MFH site. I could be tempted, but never liked the Williams too much. There is also a standing Senna figure included into the set.
I have until the seventh of may to decide.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

I'm ready and waiting and will be in the center of the front row for the entire build. Awesome choice for MFH build number One

Poco a poco, I still have to figure, how to get a magnetic tumble polisher to my island. Not so easy unfortunately, but this helps a lot with cleaning and refining the metal parts.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

I went to a show in Buffalo a couple of weeks ago. Four entries; I came home with five awards. Two firsts, a second and a third.

DSCN3276.jpg

The Best Aircraft award was for my WNW Pfalz DIIIa.

I also picked up this kit for a really good price.

DSCN3277-1.jpg

• Like 10

Some items today:

From Dspiae, a nice drill set. (AT-SHD). This is typical Dspiae quality. 

It includes a anodized aluminum and steel hand drill having a smooth

palm swivel at top, a twist collet Chuck ,and a magnet that holds the bit

in place while inserting the bit. It also comes with 10 tungsten drill bits.

Next; from ASK Distribution, a mask set for the Tamiya "Betty" I bought

recently. Their G4M1 Betty Type 11 1/48 (200-M48059). Lots of windows on

a Betty.

Next; from STAR DECALS, their set for Hetzers used during the 1945

Prague uprising. An impulse buy, it just looked interesting. Jagdpanzer 38(t)s were used with their main guns removed and replaced with MGs

and some weird graffiti and markings.

Last; more Friulmodel  track sets.

ATL-14 for my Tamiya JS-2

ATL-71 for my Tamiya Matilda.

I had another set on the way but USPS decided that the parcel needed

a 700 mile detour westward to San Francisco instead of sending it eastward to Illinois-- inexplicable

DSCN1591_kindlephoto-85185519.jpg

DSCN1593_kindlephoto-85137033.jpg

DSCN1590_kindlephoto-85297163.jpg

DSCN1586_kindlephoto-85250521.jpg

DSCN1587_kindlephoto-85400381.jpg

• Like 5

Nice haul, Paul, like Peter, I´m interested into the quality of the DSPIAE drill vise. I have the Tamiya one, not bad, but yesterday, I tried to hold a 0,3 mm bit with it and couldn´t tighten it properly. A 0,4mm bit worked.

I once built a Prague Uprising Hetzer from Academy, the `B´ version on your sheet. It was a nice little kit and looked different.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Paul

Nice additions for sure. When you use the  Dspiae please do a review, as I'm always looking for a better pinvise and heard very good things it. Will be very much appreciated.

Well Peter, I've already used it and my impressions are positive. It's

solidly built and very easy to use. Formerly, Dspiae used two set screws

on their drill/pin vise to hold the bits in place. I think the change to a twist

Collet  makes more sense. The drill bits look to be good quality and are

very sharp. I've tried the drill with other bits I purchased from Amazon and

Harbor Freight and they fit. Please note the bits have what appears to

be about  1/8 inch shanks ( 3 something mm.) and the drill does not adjust to smaller shanked drill bits. Drill bits with this size shank are common and Dspiae

sells sets of these. I paid about $20.00 US. For the set. The set comes

in a nice case and the usual Dspiae packaging ...also nice.

Incidentally, I purchased the set because I was looking a set that included

drill sizes typically called-out in Tamiya's instructions.

The sizes included are : 1.2mm, 1.1mm, 1mm, 0.9mm, 0.8mm, 0.7mm, 0..6mm, 0.5mm, 0.4mm, and 0.3mm.  

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, DocRob said:

Nice haul, Paul, like Peter, I´m interested into the quality of the DSPIAE drill vise. I have the Tamiya one, not bad, but yesterday, I tried to hold a 0,3 mm bit with it and couldn´t tighten it properly. A 0,4mm bit worked.

I once built a Prague Uprising Hetzer from Academy, the `B´ version on your sheet. It was a nice little kit and looked different.

Cheers Rob 

Thanks, I have a Tamiya Hetzer....didn't know about the Academy kit.

I'll see if I can download that kit's instructions on scalemates... To get

the color call-outs.

• Like 4

HI Paul

Thanks so much for your thoughts and experience on using the pinvise. Since this is a newer version, I'll be careful to purchase the correct new set: AT-SHD with the drill bits. My go to drill bits is a Tamiya three case set and the bits themselves are of excellent quality.

I now understand what the differences are in the drill bits and found the set with the new pinvise on eBay. I rarely shop or buy on Amazon. 

👍

• Like 3

Nice drill bit set and pin vise Paul. Still buying up the world's supply of Fruil tracks too. :D

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

Rob, I have a couple Tamiya pin vises.

PXL_20240420_195421352.thumb.jpg.fe1564a9087a316baa64b2bbf454826c.jpg

Not sure if you're aware but both have double sided collets. 

PXL_20240420_195436019.thumb.jpg.bf36a01c237eee0b62a70427bfd43105.jpg

They're reversible with one side opening larger than the other. 

PXL_20240420_195509403.thumb.jpg.b3a9a39c54ad2bf78781bd7ccc21a641.jpg

PXL_20240420_195517712.thumb.jpg.2d74528038954be2bcb05dfabf4a311b.jpg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Not sure if you're aware but both have double sided collets.

Thank you Carl, I´m indeed aware of the two side collets of the Tamiya pin vises. Mine took hold of a 0,3 mm drill bit a while ago, but seemed to be worn out a bit due to constant use of tiny drill bits.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, DocRob said:

Thank you Carl, I´m indeed aware of the two side collets of the Tamiya pin vises. Mine took hold of a 0,3 mm drill bit a while ago, but seemed to be worn out a bit due to constant use of tiny drill bits.

Cheers Rob

Not to interrupt here but sometimes hitting the collet with a little

degreaser will help the bit from slipping....even Tamiya extra thin can be used. I even did this with my new Dspiae before using it.

Do this with a small brush on the part that fits inside the pin vise.

• Like 4

Well recommend the Dspiae bits, this is my setup. The bit holders fit all their 3.175 shanked tools. The chuck assembly is magnetic plus a collet. The assembly is plastic but I prefer the small size for one hand operation. The bits themselves having amazing chip removal qualities and can also be purchased separately.

IMG_8079.thumb.jpeg.6981d8e9dc3f5971cfcd015ea5fa3ce5.jpeg

• Like 6

On 4/20/2024 at 3:00 PM, BlrwestSiR said:

Nice drill bit set and pin vise Paul. Still buying up the world's supply of Fruil tracks too. :D

Yes, got another set today--------but these are special; 

First, they are the ATL-54 set that I've been looking for, for soo long!

They fit the JSU-152 I'm working on now. They are the light type with

guide horns on every other tack link.......A set that has been hard to find for

me....finally found them!

Secondly, they  special because of the trek---the virtual odyssey --that

they took to arrive. 

Sent from Avondale Arizona, to Phoenix, then to San Francisco (754 miles in the wrong direction),

to Oakland California, back to San Francisco, to Chicago Illinois, to Palatine

illinois, to Waukegan Illinois, to Wandsworth Illinois, finally to Beach Park Il.

Now normally, when I order from Andy's there's no side trip to California.

Things arrive in a couple of days in Palatine Illinois and then I get them the

next day. Not in 11 days!

Anyway, this set includes: 90 links with guide horns, 90 without, the

usual brass wire, and a bunch of little "bungs" to close up the ends where

the wire is inserted---- very tiny, these bungs!

DSCN1605_kindlephoto-3145928.jpg

DSCN1604_kindlephoto-3182160.jpg

• Like 6

On 4/20/2024 at 12:03 PM, belugawhaleman said:

Some items today:

From Dspiae, a nice drill set. (AT-SHD). This is typical Dspiae quality. 

It includes a anodized aluminum and steel hand drill having a smooth

palm swivel at top, a twist collet Chuck ,and a magnet that holds the bit

in place while inserting the bit. It also comes with 10 tungsten drill bits.

Next; from ASK Distribution, a mask set for the Tamiya "Betty" I bought

recently. Their G4M1 Betty Type 11 1/48 (200-M48059). Lots of windows on

a Betty.

Next; from STAR DECALS, their set for Hetzers used during the 1945

Prague uprising. An impulse buy, it just looked interesting. Jagdpanzer 38(t)s were used with their main guns removed and replaced with MGs

and some weird graffiti and markings.

Last; more Friulmodel  track sets.

ATL-14 for my Tamiya JS-2

ATL-71 for my Tamiya Matilda.

I had another set on the way but USPS decided that the parcel needed

a 700 mile detour westward to San Francisco instead of sending it eastward to Illinois-- inexplicable

DSCN1591_kindlephoto-85185519.jpg

DSCN1593_kindlephoto-85137033.jpg

DSCN1590_kindlephoto-85297163.jpg

DSCN1586_kindlephoto-85250521.jpg

DSCN1587_kindlephoto-85400381.jpg

Are you planning on building the Betty any time soon?  I was recently looking at the kit on the shelf the other day and thought it would be a fairly quick and painless build.  I kinda need something like that working through my JRS-1 at the moment.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Are you planning on building the Betty any time soon?  I was recently looking at the kit on the shelf the other day and thought it would be a fairly quick and painless build.  I kinda need something like that working through my JRS-1 at the moment.

Not sure when, but I agree it looks like a quick trouble-free build and

an aircraft would be a nice departure for me. However, I have some unfinished kits to get to. I looked at some builds online and most agree

that the interior color call-out should be a "bamboo" green instead of

what the instructions call for. Anyway, I'll need to buy some paints first.

• Like 4

Today, I received a packet full of car goodies. Carbon decals for the innards of my Tamiya Sauber Mercedes C9 from Studio 27 along with full body carbon decals for the same car from Scale Motorsport. I can´t get cured from the ´decal it completely´ plague.
There is an antenna for my paused McLaren MP4/6 and colors from Number Five for different projects. 
Pink primer and GTO red for my MFH Ferrari, three jars of Cobra Blue for my MFH LM Cobra, WRC Dark Blue for my Crocker motorcycle and finally Spiderman red and blue metallic for my Yamaha superbike, also completely decaled with spider web.
The cute Fiat 500 will serve for a conversion... 

P1011369.thumb.JPG.6fa10831fe3ef86b2b44015571d3a772.JPG

... for this tiny hill climber, which will be soon released by KMP

Fiat650 NP Giannini gr2 - Full Transkit - With decals

Cheers Rob

• Like 11

Rob

Nice package of goodies and you're on a roll. 

For my limited car modeling, I use Gravity Paints from Spain and their products are awesome. Which brand of paints are you using?

• Like 3