The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

More B-24J pics, a lot more detail

1to1scale

ok................... I will play the devil's advocate here................... are we sure this is the 'final' product? Maybe , and I have NO clue, but could this be a mock up? I'm only wondering, and this just came to me, as with all the hype on the HK Lanc, and what was on 'display' for prototype photos, there was a lot of talk ,that this and that was and wasn't the way the final product is going to be... I am just wondering, as the top of the turret is defiantly frosted, IF by some chance this is just for 'display' purposes only? Is that possible?  I'm only wondering, and I will agree the wing does look a tad low compared to some of the real deal photos here...... I NOT complaining or berating this, as it is a huge deal even if there are one or two abnormalities, it is so cool to have these large scale kits, , in my eyes anyway.....  so this post is just food for thought and for preponderance, what do you guys think, is this really the final product?  I think I'd be kind of surprised if it is, BUT there are guys her who know WAY more than me.... I'm just wondering......-_-

Edited by Jeff
grammar
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Jeff said:

ok................... I will play the devil's advocate here................... are we sure this is the 'final' product? Maybe , and I have NO clue, but could this be a mock up? I'm only wondering, and this just came to me, as with all the hype on the HK Lanc, and what was on 'display' for prototype photos, there was a lot of talk ,that this and that was and wasn't the way the final product is going to be... I am just wondering, as the top of the turret is defiantly frosted, IF by some chance this is just for 'display' purposes only? Is that possible?  I'm only wondering, and I will agree the wing does look a tad low compared to some of the real deal photos here...... I NOT complaining or berating this, as it is a huge deal even if there are one or two abnormalities, it is so cool to have these large scale kits, , in my eyes anyway.....  so this post is just food for thought and for preponderance, what do you guys think, is this really the final product?  I think I'd be kind of surprised if it is, BUT there are guys her who know WAY more than me.... I'm just wondering......-_-

If they are to stick to the end-of-2018 announced schedule, then this is a test shot version, but only tweaking of the molds is permissible at this stage, no major change ...

Hubert

PS: as for the front turret, frosting of the top means some polishing of the mold has yet to take place, and the ugly seam reminds me of my youth years, when I was using tube glue and was testing the fingerprints’ uniqueness theory :)

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, HubertB said:

If they are to stick to the end-of-2018 announced schedule, then this is a test shot version, but only tweaking of the molds is permissible at this stage, no major change ...

Hubert

PS: as for the front turret, frosting of the top means some polishing of the mold has yet to take place, and the ugly seam reminds me of my youth yeras, when I was using tube glue and was testing the fingerprints’ uniqueness theory :)

ok............ I get that, makes perfect sense.....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jeff said:

I had a thought here, and others have the same suspicion....

Looking at this plane, there are areas that obviously are finalized. But looking at others, like the front turret, that look very crude. I wonder if the clear parts for the turret were simply not ready for this show. Looking again, It looks like the turret was a scaled up 1/72 or 1/48 part, that was cast in clear resin just so they could show the complete model. I am starting to think that it will come out with a different turret. The wing, however, i think that's a final piece, and it wont change, everything else has full detail and looks to be final molds.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, 1to1scale said:

I had a thought here, and others have the same suspicion....

Looking at this plane, there are areas that obviously are finalized. But looking at others, like the front turret, that look very crude. I wonder if the clear parts for the turret were simply not ready for this show. Looking again, It looks like the turret was a scaled up 1/72 or 1/48 part, that was cast in clear resin just so they could show the complete model. I am starting to think that it will come out with a different turret. The wing, however, i think that's a final piece, and it wont change, everything else has full detail and looks to be final molds.  

and that is what I was trying to spit out, in my clumsy way, well explained 1to 1....... still no complaints from me...

• Like 3

Chaps,

What I see here is a rather crudely assembled model. We don't know if this is the definitive kit yet. Some observations have been made about the wing etc.

But until testshots or the kit itself is released let's keep the negative remarks at bay if you please.

Besides, has anyone of you actually seen an Emerson nose turret before?
Cees

• Like 4

Here's one. There are umpteenth variations of the nose turret installation, fairings etc. The first nose turret installations were fieldmods where a Consolidated A6 tailturret was fitted in the nose. Due to the success the manufacturer developed a similar installation, but so did Ford at Willow Run as well as various ad hoc fieldmods. Mushroom Publications has released a book on the many differences regarding the B-24. 

Cees

Emerson turret.jpg

• Like 2

weather there is a seam or not, it is still pretty darn cool in my eyes, and for me, a seam here or there is certainly not a game changer, I think this whole concept of big large scale models of big airplanes is really neat, and as I mentioned before, a few years ago, who in their wildest dreams would have thought we would have so much to choose from, and we are really spoiled these days...... yeah , you dead on Cees, no matter what these are going to be epic builds....

• Like 2