Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

34 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Of course you would never attempt to do things as such :)

Closest was at a Monster Jam when they let us run our RC trucks off the same jumps the full size ones used. I was running a 1/5 monster truck and I caught the ramp at a bad angle and just missed another guy's head by inches. 35 lbs of metal, rubber and plastic at 60km/h in the face would not have been pretty... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Administrators

Honey, can you check my car  “Something popped”. 😡😡😡🤬

6K air suspension option and the idea is to use it and raise the car when you’re in a parking lot  😡

Bloody waste of money  too much to ask someone to remember to push one simple button  

EE965A3E-6C2A-4A5E-81FD-21A1B70E81E6.jpeg

• Confused 2
  • Sad 4

35 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

6K air suspension option and the idea is to use it and raise the car when you’re in a parking lot  😡

Bloody waste of money  too much to ask someone to remember to push one simple button  

Is that the one with the biodegradable wiring harness? Mechanics love the electrical issues that pop up in those models. 

• Like 4

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Is that the one with the biodegradable wiring harness? Mechanics love the electrical issues that pop up in those models. 

Yep.  CAN-Bus love affairs. All German cars, and most British cars use vegetable oil based wiring insulation. Living in Texas makes for a lot of fun keeping rodents at bay. 
But I LOVE this car. Seriously. It’s is an absolute BLAST to drive and is the ultimate sleeper. 
The electrical isn’t a big deal as long as you understand the system.  The big issue was always that a single fault could cause entire network to collapse, leaving you with a dead car. I had an update done to it to allow more info to flow on the low side of the system so it’ll all go into limp mode and bring the driver home. It’s only happened twice in 17 years.  I really like the electronic braking. The Magazines despised it, but those of us who live with it, love it.

This gives me a goor reason to install the Zenon projectors I have sitting on a shelf.  I like the Mercedes, but it’ll be a cold day in Hell before I ever own a BMW  I’m no boy racer wannabe.  I like to ride around in style..

Heck, my ancient old 300D is still clattering around town.  I got rid of it with 300K+ miles on it, a d that was 15 years ago when this W211 followed me home.  That 300D has got to be the ugliest car in Texas.   German Taxicab creamy puke yellow paint, and quite literally, a block cloud follows it everywhere it goes. 0-60 MPH in about a half hour or so as well.  Slooooooow car.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Administrators

Carl, I baby that car. It has travelled 81K miles since new and has got to be the most coddled Benz ever built.  I like a car with a good turn of speed, but I like impeccable manners as well.  So far, I haven’t found a better car for that. I’m one of the 10% of the population that is more than willing to deal with the issues of a W211 just to have the experience.  I’d like to find a babied E55, and if I do, it’ll follow me home, too.  I test drove one of them, and it turned me into the Three Legged Party Monster. It made my old XJR into yesterday’s news. 

All that being said, by far the best car I’ve ever owned is that rackety old 1985 Mercedes 300D.  Like I said earlier, it’s STILL clattering around town, years after I sold it.  It would burn literally anything, including filtered used cooking oil.  Talk about cheap to run.  Slower than molasses in January, and it was a draw between it and a loaded milk truck off the line, but one doesn’t complain when it’s cheaper to run than a Lambretta scooter.  
If I ever find a good, solid 1985-87 300SDL, I’ll probably snap it up, although it’s the Holy Grail of the old in-line diesels. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

I like the Mercedes, but it’ll be a cold day in Hell before I ever own a BMW  I’m no boy racer wannabe.  I like to ride around in style..

It reminds me of a joke I was told by a good friend, arch-fan of BMWs on top of it …

« What’s the common point between piles and BMWs ? 

One day, all a.$#@!&.es have one ! »

Hubert :sofa:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, HubertB said:

Come to Aberdeen Hubert and you'll see that day has arrived. Every w***ker in the oil industry has one and none are fitted with indicators, everyone else is meant to be psychic and know where they're going.

Still it's been great fun in the snow this week watching them all go sideways with their rear-wheel drive and low profile tyres while I pootle past in my 4x4 Fiat Panda. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

This is why the back end of my lowered 2015 Mustang always stuck out in the parking lot.  Those parking lot stops were always about 2” too tall.  Even stock ride height would hit them.  Kills me that Ford would build something that low without a warning sensor or front camera to save the front end. 

• Like 5

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

This is why the back end of my lowered 2015 Mustang always stuck out in the parking lot.  Those parking lot stops were always about 2” too tall.  Even stock ride height would hit them.  Kills me that Ford would build something that low without a warning sensor or front camera to save the front end. 

Exactly. Joy’s Ford Flex gets scratched on the bottom from those as well.  Drives me insane. I usually drive my loud, smoky, abnoxious redneck-mobile, the 97 F-250HD 4X4 diesel.  I just drive OVER those things if they’re in the way. Along with pesky boy racers in BMWs.  But it had to be THIS car that got tore up. 

• Like 4

• Administrators
1 hour ago, GusMac said:

Come to Aberdeen Hubert and you'll see that day has arrived. Every w***ker in the oil industry has one and none are fitted with indicators, everyone else is meant to be psychic and know where they're going.

Still it's been great fun in the snow this week watching them all go sideways with their rear-wheel drive and low profile tyres while I pootle past in my 4x4 Fiat Panda. 😁

Same thing here with BMWs.  They must be an extra cost option.  Also, once a Rover hits 5 years old, the indicators stop working. NOBODY who drives a Rover beer signals. 
I must admit that I feel a small bit of evil satisfaction when I spy an M series BMW all spun around, in the ditch, with nice, expensive pieces of black carbon fiber body cladding tore off by the concrete barrier.  And the hair gelled punk yelling on his phone with his free hand gesturing wildly, trying to explain to his fancy Rent-A-Wife how this old codger in a Benz was in his way.  🤣

My heart may just sing a bit more than considered socially acceptable. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Administrators
5 hours ago, HubertB said:

It reminds me of a joke I was told by a good friend, arch-fan of BMWs on top of it …

« What’s the common point between piles and BMWs ? 

We say the same thing, but it involves the difference between a BMW and a Porcupine. 

A Porcupine carries it’s pricks on the outside. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Carl, I baby that car. It has travelled 81K miles since new and has got to be the most coddled Benz ever built.  I like a car with a good turn of speed, but I like impeccable manners as well.  So far, I haven’t found a better car for that. I’m one of the 10% of the population that is more than willing to deal with the issues of a W211 just to have the experience.  I’d like to find a babied E55, and if I do, it’ll follow me home, too.  I test drove one of them, and it turned me into the Three Legged Party Monster. It made my old XJR into yesterday’s news. 

All that being said, by far the best car I’ve ever owned is that rackety old 1985 Mercedes 300D.  Like I said earlier, it’s STILL clattering around town, years after I sold it.  It would burn literally anything, including filtered used cooking oil.  Talk about cheap to run.  Slower than molasses in January, and it was a draw between it and a loaded milk truck off the line, but one doesn’t complain when it’s cheaper to run than a Lambretta scooter.  
If I ever find a good, solid 1985-87 300SDL, I’ll probably snap it up, although it’s the Holy Grail of the old in-line diesels. 

A friend bought a V8 wagon from the same generation (E400?). It wasn't safetied and he paid around $8k for it. He saw it, he liked it, he thought it couldn't be too bad to certify and pass. $10k later, it finally passed and he was able to get it licensed. A safetied one would've cost so much less but he didn't know much about cars so it was quite the learning experience.

W124s are more or less bomb proof. Of course your old is still running around. They're like the Toyota Hilux of German cars. 

• Like 3

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

A friend bought a V8 wagon from the same generation (E400?). It wasn't safetied and he paid around $8k for it. He saw it, he liked it, he thought it couldn't be too bad to certify and pass. $10k later, it finally passed and he was able to get it licensed. A safetied one would've cost so much less but he didn't know much about cars so it was quite the learning experience.

W124s are more or less bomb proof. Of course your old is still running around. They're like the Toyota Hilux of German cars. 

And the best thing about a Benz?  Nothing is ever obsolete. They’ll get it for you, it might have to come from Germany, but if DB made it, they’ll get it. 

Plus, DB can and often is much cheaper to repair. Unlike American and Japanese cars, German car parts are sold a-la-carte.  On. Toyota or a Chevrolet, if you have a broken radio button, you need to buy a new radio.  DB will simply sell you a new button. Much, much better that way. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

Same thing here with BMWs.  They must be an extra cost option.  Also, once a Rover hits 5 years old, the indicators stop working. NOBODY who drives a Rover beer signals. 
I must admit that I feel a small bit of evil satisfaction when I spy an M series BMW all spun around, in the ditch, with nice, expensive pieces of black carbon fiber body cladding tore off by the concrete barrier.  And the hair gelled punk yelling on his phone with his free hand gesturing wildly, trying to explain to his fancy Rent-A-Wife how this old codger in a Benz was in his way.  🤣

My heart may just sing a bit more than considered socially acceptable. 

Haven't noticed that problem here Ernie as by 5 years old in our climate the Rovers have all rusted beyond repair! 😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 2