The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

I must be crazy, B-24J on the bench.

23 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

This baby is coming on a treat, I reckon I only have one big bomber in me.........would love a 24 but I have heart set on the Lanc.......that’s a lot of plastic for the money.........

But dude, you're Bomber_County! Surely you have more than one in you.

• Like 1

Hey 1to1

After looking at Nige's build on the Lancaster I'm wondering did the B-24's have padded seats or should they be bucket shaped like Nige did on his seats to make room for the parachutes that the pilot and co pilot would have been wearing? The other thing is, if the front turrets guns are done to close together can they be moved outward? I'm going to experiment on mine to see if I can correct them, also did they use flash shields on the B-24's machine guns?

Ron G.

• Like 1

I have been busy. I have started scratch building the Navigator's compartment. After removing most of the structure from the cockpit bulkhead, I rebuilt the framework with evergreen strips. I added the plywood square behind the pilot for mounting portable oxygen bottles on, as well as the sructure to support the navigator's radio table ( I still need to add the left, folding, table leg. I built the (I assume) conduit channels on either side, made a small pedestal for the radio under the table, and I added more details above the bomb bay. 

IMG_2339.jpg

IMG_2341.jpg

IMG_2343.jpg

• Like 4

Hey 1to1  [DISREGARD THIS POST]

After looking at Nige's build on the Lancaster I'm wondering did the B-24's have padded seats or should they be bucket shaped like Nige did on his seats to make room for the parachutes that the pilot and co pilot would have been wearing? The other thing is, if the front turrets guns are done to close together can they be moved outward? I'm going to experiment on mine to see if I can correct them, also did they use flash shields on the B-24's machine guns?

Ron G.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

Hey 1to1  [DISREGARD THIS POST]

Ron G.

The best I could tell, the crew did not wear their parachutes while flying, every picture other that pre-D models, showed a padded seat. I believe that they kept them nearby, but the tight quarters and long missions, it was better for them to not wear their chutes. I could be wrong, but I think they had to grab them and put them on while leaving the aircraft. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

Ok

But not easy to do when your on fire and plummeting out of the air

Ron G 

Ha Ha...very true.

I think I need to retract that statement I made. I just dont know, but if you look at this picture, this was from a period B-24, notice it has nice smooth seat cushions.

B24-Cockpit_USAF.jpg

• Like 3

Hey 1to1

I found a similar photo/vid thing it was a virtual walkthrough. You could see very deep cushions, look to be almost a foot thick, but they were sitting in a typical sheet metal seat pan, so maybe maybe not probably will never know since it's hard to find any info on original ww2 aircraft. 

On another note I did find some aftermarket brass landing gear for this BIG ASS bird. They are brass copys of the internal pieces from the kit, you still have to use the outer parts. I found them on LSP.  I ordered a set will let you know what there like when I get them in the mail.

Ron G 

https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/internal-undercarriage-set-for-hobby-boss-b-24-liberator

• Like 1

• Administrators

You gotta love those panel designs. Instruments placed totally haphazard, if there's space for an instrument, stick one there!

The B-24 seems better than most, though. At least the basic flight instruments are (more or less) directly in front of the pilot.

• Like 3

Hey all

I did some work on the B-24's frt. & rr. turrets. I tried to remove the pin & socket attachment points there not bad but not great either. The front did polish out with alittle help from my Foredom tool, sanding sponges and Tamiyas polishing compounds. Here are some pics.

20190117_163908.jpg

20190117_163829.jpg

20190117_163825.jpg

20190117_163918.jpg

20190117_163926.jpg

20190117_163935.jpg

Not the best but better then they came in the kit. I sure hope somebody comes out with some aftermarket ones :(

• Like 2

17 hours ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

Hey all

I did some work on the B-24's frt. & rr. turrets. I tried to remove the pin & socket attachment points there not bad but not great either. The front did polish out with alittle help from my Foredom tool, sanding sponges and Tamiyas polishing compounds. Here are some pics.

20190117_163908.jpg

20190117_163829.jpg

20190117_163825.jpg

20190117_163918.jpg

20190117_163926.jpg

20190117_163935.jpg

Not the best but better then they came in the kit. I sure hope somebody comes out with some aftermarket ones :(

I was able to get mine to polish up, however, i ran a few experiments, you cannot get the clear to join and make the seam disappear. I tried several different solvents. My solution is going to be Vac-u-form some new transparencies with an old Mattel machine. I'm doing experiments on if I can get a whole turret, or if I will need to glue them at seam lines, since the rear turrets had several clear sections, it might be easier.

• Like 1