The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

I must be crazy, B-24J on the bench.

8 hours ago, HubertB said:

Just a (friendly) basic physics reminder that the brunt of the weight will be taken and withstood by the main landing gear ... The nose gear will only take a small portion of the total weight, just the extra required to tip the balance the kit « nose heavy » ...

Hubert

You are correct! I never thought about that, I’m a knuckle head.

• Like 5

On 12/22/2018 at 11:26 PM, MGunns said:

Okay folks:  We now have beaten the Wing and Glazing horse pretty much to death.  We have no idea the motivation, the amount of rearch or lack there of, the intent the motive or profit tipping point of Hobby Boss to produce this kit other than to produce a 1/32nd Liberator.  I give them an A for effort and C for execution.  We can slam Hobby Boss for the errors of the kit but what It boils down to is the kit worth the money for the modeler to buy?  I for one have always liked the Liberator from the moment the "Lady Be Good" story hit "Life" Magazine back in about 1960 or so when I was a lad of about eleven.  I couldn't wait to get my hands on the Revell B-24, how disappointed I was when I saw the photo's of the "Lady Be Good" and it was a "D" not a "J", still I had my Liberator in the odd Revell box scale of 1/100 and was happy to bomb the crap out the "enemy" flying at least four feet off the deck  So here we are 58 years later with a 1/32nd "J" on our hands.  I don't care about the wing being off, albeit would that it be more representative of the Davis wing, nor am I happy with the turret glazing, but some fine sandpaper, Brasso and Future and it will be fine, the wing will be fixed as is; to me neither are show stoppers.   Maybe the AM will provide a better turret and other things, but until that time, I am going to proceed to build the model.  Anyone have the box art to the Revell "Buffalo Bill?"  Post it as that's the markngs I want to do.

This same hue and cry went up with Roden kits after Wingnut WIngs started flooding the market with their superb WWI offerings.  Roden were putting out some pretty interesting and esoteric  WWI models, but then the naysayers, rivet counters and blatherskites started bashing their models.  Roden stopped making WWI kits and I doubt they will ever do another one.  I have built several Roden WWI models and with a little "modeling' they turn out quite well.  This Hobby Boss B-24 may not be the be all end all, but it's here, it's big and when it's finished it looks like a B-24, no one would possibly mistake it for a Betty.  If anyone would criticize the model after the effort to build it, I would tell them to pound sand.  I build for the enjoyment of the hobby and I will enjoy this model.  If per chance someone comes up with a fix for the wing, share the info and let the modeler decide.  Rant mode off.

This time in life is definately the "golden" age of modeling, let's model.

I applaud your comment. This hobby requires some level of skill and effort. The perfect model does not exist and never will. 

Sadly, we modelers, have become too picky when it comes to building flawed model kits and I think is because we lack of the necessary skills or simply we are too lazy.

I invite modelers to leave the “inaccurate” models alone.

Most of the people bashing the HB B-24 don’t even owe one.

• Like 4

• Administrators

I’m loving this. I’m going to pull the lever on mine in a week or so as soon as I wrap up all my Christmas obligations here.

From what I can see, we Stateside are better off going through Hannants and paying the shipping. It’ll still land here 50 bucks cheaper than what it sells for here.  I usually do 3 or 4 orders a year from Hannants, mostly cool Eastern European and Russian cottage industry stuff that’s hard to get here unless you want to spend days chasing down the hundreds of little garage A.M. manufacturers throughout Eastern Europe. Hannants make it easy.. all in one spot.   The Big Lib gives me the excuse for one more order.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

I’m loving this. I’m going to pull the lever on mine in a week or so as soon as I wrap up all my Christmas obligations here.

From what I can see, we Stateside are better off going through Hannants and paying the shipping. It’ll still land here 50 bucks cheaper than what it sells for here.  I usually do 3 or 4 orders a year from Hannants, mostly cool Eastern European and Russian stuff that’s hard to get here. They make it easy.. all in one spot.   The Big Lib gives me the excuse for one more order.

The one I ordered cost me $174, that’s because I hit the exchange rate on a high day. I actually have 2 now, I’m probably going to trade it soon. 

• Like 4

Dennis, excellent observation, I had to go to the books to research that one. It looks like the seats slide back on tracks for crew access, and Hobbyboss chose to make the mounting notches in the far aft position. There is a lever on the floor near the bolkhead that releases the slider. This is an easy fix, just cut new notches in the rail. I think I will go back and re-mount mine.

• Like 3

I ordered a set of Liason Radio receivers in resin, as HB gives you nothing, and they are very visible from the cockpit.

B920C713-EB37-4E7E-80F3-C69294E85027.jpeg

The small set goes on top of the navigator table, the large set goes under it, and the other receivers go above the bomb compartment, and can be seen from the waist gunner area and partially from the bomb bay. For $9, these are a must.

50EC0E32-63C3-4164-852A-3E6D48B7170D.jpeg

CB28C31D-5D12-4979-8257-17979F98116D.jpeg

D5972128-3327-46F5-B8B2-78B2AB8AA31A.jpeg

• Like 8

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 1:55 PM, Peterpools said:

Guys, I always seem to take the same stand on all kits; just glad to have them and  when time allows; to build them. Back in the day, when I was young ( nope I didn't go to school with George Washington, but Abe .. maybe) we fell off our chairs when Monogram brought out the WWII  heavies in 48th scale and Shep Paine graced us with his superb dioramas. Who could have ever imagined the heavies of WWII being available in32nd scale; not I for sure. As always buy what you like and enjoy building the kit as you want. Just enjoy the road you take on each journey.

Peter ;)

Well said Peter:  Couldn't agree more.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

I ordered a set of Liason Radio receivers in resin, as HB gives you nothing, and they are very visible from the cockpit.

B920C713-EB37-4E7E-80F3-C69294E85027.jpeg

The small set goes on top of the navigator table, the large set goes under it, and the other receivers go above the bomb compartment, and can be seen from the waist gunner area and partially from the bomb bay. For $9,

These look really crisp and all for $9 ......wow

• Like 2

On 12/29/2018 at 11:25 PM, Clunkmeister said:

From what I can see, we Stateside are better off going through Hannants and paying the shipping. It’ll still land here 50 bucks cheaper than what it sells for here.  I usually do 3 or 4 orders a year from Hannants, mostly cool Eastern European and Russian cottage industry stuff that’s hard to get here unless you want to spend days chasing down the hundreds of little garage A.M. manufacturers throughout Eastern Europe. Hannants make it easy.. all in one spot.   The Big Lib gives me the excuse for one more order.

Hey Clunky

I got mine at a local brick & mortar hobby shop here in Michigan. The B-24 was $149.00 and the Lanc was $245.00 so $394.00 total out the door! The wife got them for me for Christmas. I've looked at both, but haven't started them yet, still have 20 other 1/32 kits to do before I start on them (I also need to find a place to put em). Was disappointed with the Hobbyboss B-24 frt. & rr. turrets, but it won't stop me from building it. Going to try and polish out the frt. and fix the joint issue on both. To bad all Hobbyboss had to do was create them like the top turret and there wouldn't be an issue. The Lancaster is amazing, four merlins to build and detail!!! I got the brass gun barrels for it, also picked up a set of the ones for HK's B-17G there the same as the B-24.

Happy holidays Ron G.

• Like 3

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

Hey Clunky

I got mine at a local brick & mortar hobby shop her in Michigan. The B-24 was $149.00 and the Lanc was $245.00 so $394.00 total out the door! The wife got them for me for Christmas. I've looked at both, but haven't started them yet, still have 20 other 1/32 kits to do before I start on them (I also need to find a place to put em). Was disappointed with the Hobbyboss B-24 frt. & rr. turrets, but it won't stop me from building it. Going to try and polish out the frt. and fix the joint issue on both. To bad all Hobbyboss had to do was create them like the top turret and there wouldn't be an issue. The Lancaster is amazing, four merlins to build and detail!!! I got the brass gun barrels for it, also picked up a set of the ones for HK's B-17G there the same as the B-24.

Happy holidays Ron G.

I'm thinking of an appropriate response over and above the obvious kudos for an awesome job sniffing out that super smoking hot deal!

Remember those gag Hitler memes where he's told that "INSERT PUNCHLINE HERE" just happened, and he has the slow boil eruption?  I just wish, just once, I could film myself doing that as a gag of that Hitler gag....    :rofl:   :rofl:  :rofl: 

• Like 2

I had to preorder them to get the deal. Which he said when I ordered them was $149 for the B-24 & $219.00 for the Lanc. When he called and said they were in he said that his importer gave him the wrong price, and said that the Lanc would be $379.00!!! I said thats not what you told me we went round and round he said the best he could do was $245 which was still $144.00 cheaper then the lowest price I could find on the internet plus a two to three week wait. So I  said yes and the wife stopped by and got them had to wait two weeks till Christmas to open em but it was well worth it.

• Like 1

I just purchased this kit and I plan to start building it.  I guess i have some questions, I am no USAAF expert so I will be watching closely.  I love building huge models out of my comfort zone, and this fits the bill.  I guess the questions I have are this......Does anyone have actual pictures of this wing issue?  There is a lot of technical talk here but I have no idea what your talking about.  You know they say a picture is worth a thousand words.....also someone referenced another forum where someone is doing a build....can you provide a link or at least the name of that forum as I would love to check that out too....Thanks and sorry for my newbie issues.  I know this stuff is all obvious to to guys so please take pity on me I just want to learn from all experts and all of the knowledge here.....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, zavod44 said:

I just purchased this kit and I plan to start building it.  I guess i have some questions, I am no USAAF expert so I will be watching closely.  I love building huge models out of my comfort zone, and this fits the bill.  I guess the questions I have are this......Does anyone have actual pictures of this wing issue?  There is a lot of technical talk here but I have no idea what your talking about.  You know they say a picture is worth a thousand words.....also someone referenced another forum where someone is doing a build....can you provide a link or at least the name of that forum as I would love to check that out too....Thanks and sorry for my newbie issues.  I know this stuff is all obvious to to guys so please take pity on me I just want to learn from all experts and all of the knowledge here.....

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/78152-hobbyboss-132-liberator-gr-mkvi-raf-coastal-command/&page=7

• Like 1

12 hours ago, zavod44 said:

I was thinking the same thing about the link to the referenced build...thanks for asking. As for everyone commenting about everyone else "complaining" about this kit, I see nothing wrong with pointing out the inaccuracies of any particular kit, it all seemed fairly respectful compared to what I've seen in the past on other sites on related and unrelated subjects...i.e. guitars, classic car restoration parts, model railroad ect. The B-24 a great subject and I think knowing inaccuracies of a kit is very helpful to the decision of buying a particular kit.

I'm certainly looking forward to seeing this build progress.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, zavod44 said:

See my previous post about the correct wing profile, in this thread. The wrong profile issue of the kit is compounded by the too small incidence (the drawing in my previous post has the right incidence, i.e. 3.26°), which is apparently slightly less than 1° on the kit. 

Iain on LSP is using the same data and internet site as I showed in my posts to determine the right profile. He seems to be getting there changing the wing to a more correct profile and incidence. Most likely, as I mentioned, he will have to correct the angle of the nacelles to bring them back in the slipstream, and may ending having an issue with the MLG legs angle as well. Nothing that can't be corrected when you have had the guts to correct the wing to start with ...

Hubert

• Like 3