The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/32 Lancaster build and improvements

20 hours ago, NigelR32 said:

Today I've been playing with the U/C bays and legs. I'll put a video up later on my channel if the newer modellers want to see it in moving pics rather than just the end result..

First job was to open up the framework in the ribs, visible up in there.

IMG_5096.thumb.JPG.6d471f29b559820e72e92e94b841fdb3.JPG

This is pretty time consuming, but it makes a huge difference and is more accurate than the kit OOB.

Next up were the main gear legs. First remove the brace which would not be fitted on an aircraft ready to go out on a mission, which mine is.. it's Night time May 16th 1943 and shes off to drop a cylinder off at a Dam or something??

Then i thought I'd improve the look of the moulded "lump" where the linkage folds and carries the locking mechanism to hold the gear up in the nacelle.

Upper leg in the picture is as per kit but with brace removed. Lower is with the block drilled and trimmed to suit.

IMG_5097.thumb.JPG.dac1ee1facf63ad72eab9ebe85fdfaf8.JPG

It's a massive improvement for a scale look and I feel doesnt weaken the leg at all.

Does this kit need Brass U/C legs?? What do you think? I think not.

IMG_5099.JPG

Hey Nige 

I just watched your video on YouTube showing the mods that you did to the undercarriage bays and landing gear. You showed a book that had lots of pictures, can you please post a picture of that book and were to get it please.

Ron G 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

Hey Nige 

I just watched your video on YouTube showing the mods that you did to the undercarriage bays and landing gear. You showed a book that had lots of pictures, can you please post a picture of that book and were to get it please.

Ron G 

If you watch the video at 7:35 you'll see the book, the title and the isbn number Ron..

• Like 3

• Administrators

This is an awesome thread guys. Nige, your Lanc is going to be brilliant, and Martin, what can I say? Nige, my good friend Martin has been documenting my builds with pictures previously unseen in the West for more years than I care to admit.

The man’s a veritable fountain of the obscure. Every single last build I’ve needed documentation on, Martin, UNASKED, has gone to his crazy search engine and library, and given me priceless pictures. I’m in continuous and lifelong debt and awe.

• Like 3

Just one more thing, here is the famous picture from Avro factory in Woodford. You can see the red oxide fuel cells on the left, however those are intended for bomb bay use. Yet, I haven't seen red painted tanks in the wings.

Avro_Lancaster_aircraft_under_constructi

like this one in a bomb-bay of a Lincoln

13-4.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Just one more thing, here is the famous picture from Avro factory in Woodford. You can see the red oxide fuel cells on the left, however those are intended for bomb bay use. Yet, I haven't seen red painted tanks in the wings.

Avro_Lancaster_aircraft_under_constructi

like this one in a bomb-bay of a Lincoln

13-4.jpg

Ah.. ok.. that explains why the fuel tanks are red in my Tamiya Mossie. I was going to ask, but didnt want to hear the answer you might give me if I got it wrong??

Thanks again Martin. Your pictures are very much appreciated.

• Like 4

superb job Nige

it really flicks my switch when I see thorough research and fuss free tips on how to improve a kit - no kit is perfect and I think HK have done an astonishing job in getting this out to market - for that they should be thanked & congratulated and I know Neil would love to see how people go the extra mile to take his canvas and make it their own...

nice job

Peter

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, airscale said:

superb job Nige

it really flicks my switch when I see thorough research and fuss free tips on how to improve a kit - no kit is perfect and I think HK have done an astonishing job in getting this out to market - for that they should be thanked & congratulated and I know Neil would love to see how people go the extra mile to take his canvas and make it their own...

nice job

Peter

Peter,

I couldn't agree with you more. People complain about every little short coming a kit has without realizing much work and money it takes to get it to market. We should be grateful for everything we get and if we want more detail that's up to us to make. That's what this hobby is about.

Robert

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, FME erk said:

From which aircraft is that photo taken please ?

No doubt a post-war survivors ??

23 minutes ago, FME erk said:

From which aircraft is that photo taken please ?

No doubt a post-war survivors ??

Sorry, I don’t know where I downloaded it from. I have thousands of references pics. I’ll see if I can find out. 

• Like 1

Started some work on the lovely Airscale IP upgrade today. I'm pretty pleased so far...

IMG_5192.thumb.JPG.7c779cffbaaebce50ff224b35db468a7.JPG

Note the fuel cocks are cut from the original kit parts and glued onto rod to give a 3D effect to the panel. they will be fitted correctly once the panel is built. More Decals are to go on yet... JUST NOTICED>> THINK I GOT THE BLUE AND YELLOW UPSIDE DOWN ON THE GAUGES??

IMG_5193.thumb.JPG.3d79dd36f22d7ec8d2e887701db9d33a.JPG

• Like 4

In the attached pic we can see that I've done the yellow below the blue on the gauge faces on the engineers panel.

I used an old pic from a Lanc manual and also referred to the Eduard set which has yellow below blue and was readily at hand when it came to painting time. To my horror, I noticed I had got them inverted, ie, most images show the yellow above the blue?

IMG_5192.thumb.JPG.7c779cffbaaebce50ff224b35db468a7.JPG

lan13.jpg.d2b6883640536d8b0177be249c82bcab.jpg

Can anyone, ( @Martinfb ) please confirm I am right or wrong please?

• Like 1