The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

What is on your bench right now ? Share a picture :)

Martinnfb

So, a little update from my bench...

Doing some fiddly work on the scratched cockpit for the Aeromarine

IagsFlC.jpg

Not nearly there yet, but slowly, I'm working out where everything is supposed to go...

Happy modelling: Kent

• Like 7

On 5/14/2019 at 9:03 AM, Bill_S said:

Putting together a little tutorial on how I do woodgrain effects for my local club meeting...

DSCN2169-1.jpg

Looks good Bill.

I wonder how we could get manufactures to engrave wood grain patterns onto surfaces.

Sure would make life easier. Its just a wash then with no streaking needed.

• Like 2

I don't know about a video tutorial; it's beyond my technical capabilities at the moment. The finished product:

Woodgrain-test.jpg

Far left is the base color, all varying shades of tan. The top five are Model Master enamels; the lower five are Tamiya acrylics. Second column is with Windsor & Newton Burnt Umber oil applied. Third column has the the oil wiped after about 90 minutes drying time (no Japan drier). My wiping tool of choice is an ordinary cotton swab. You can vary pressure to remove as much of the oil as you deem necessary. After a few days for the oil to dry, I sprayed Tamiya clear orange on the fourth column. I still need to label each base color, but after I present it, it will go on the wall so I can use it to pick base colors.

The paints used (in order):

MM Radome tan

MM Sand

MM Armor Sand

MM SAC bomber Tan

MM RAF Middlestone

Tam XF-57 Buff

Tam XF-78 Wooden Deck Tan

Tam XF-46 Khaki

Tam XF-59 Desert Yellow

Tam XF-55 Deck Tan

• Like 6

I will re phrase.

Bill you are not indeed a tool, in contrast you have created a superb reference tool to consult before attempting wood grain techniques.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Ryan said:

I will re phrase.

Bill you are not indeed a tool, in contrast you have created a superb reference tool to consult before attempting wood grain techniques.

Just SCREWING with you Ryan !!B)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind comments, gents! I was pleased with the results of my little exercise. I'll try and get a better picture or two of the results in the near future.

In addition to the presentation, I did this because I've recently started on my WNW W.29 - I have a thing for float planes. The instruction callout for "dark wood" is Tamiya XF-70 (Linoleum Deck Brown). After giving the parts this color and my woodgrain treatment, I thought the result was too dark - the grain barely shows up. I'm undecided right now, but I may strip it and start over.

I've done wood effects in the past, but this is the first time that I've used the clear orange overspray. While it tends to darken the wood a little, I like the "glow" it gives.

• Like 3

I like to "put my bench to bed" when leaving for awhile.   Heres how it looks as I leave it be for a few weeks and all 3 projects I have actively going.  I like it this way in case someone visits while I'm gone it looks respectable. 

20190524_184316.jpg

• Like 7

Remember this list of all the projects I was going to finish before starting something new.......

1. M3A4E8
  2. Panzer III G
  3. Male IV
  4. Fw190 D9 - 48th
  5. Marder III H
  6. Matilda
  7. Tamiya Birdcage - 32nd
  8. SH  Tempest V - 32nd
  9. LRDG Chevy
  10. Sherman M4DV

well items 1, 5, 9, & 10 are finished and in the cabinet....next in line is Takom Male IV........0CEA5021-2955-43E6-8A6F-5E83BA24AE80.thumb.jpeg.84af34bc3d61ec7d724ca6c8ac8d2b81.jpeg

now the weathering and completing........

• Like 7

59 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Remember this list of all the projects I was going to finish before starting something new.......

1. M3A4E8
  2. Panzer III G
  3. Male IV
  4. Fw190 D9 - 48th
  5. Marder III H
  6. Matilda
  8. SH  Tempest V - 32nd
  9. LRDG Chevy
  10. Sherman M4DV

well items 1, 5, 9, & 10 are finished and in the cabinet....next in line is Takom Male IV........0CEA5021-2955-43E6-8A6F-5E83BA24AE80.thumb.jpeg.84af34bc3d61ec7d724ca6c8ac8d2b81.jpeg

now the weathering and completing........

That's coming together really nice Phil, and I have one of those I want to start too, but life is getting in the way..... how are you finding it to build, any issues?? I bought the clip together track package for it as well, they look a bit easier and less time consuming to assemble....

• Like 4

Jeff, the road wheels are a pain, I don’t think you’d ever  get the wheels to sit square whilst you assemble the sides, so I assembled the sides and then trimmed the road wheel axles a fraction so they would slip into there locations at an angle. Then I added extra thin to seat them square. Takom want them to be useable and rotate, why..........I replaced the tracks with Master resin ones. Even they need care snapping together as the lugs in resin are fragile. Other than that quite straight forward. Shame about the sponson 6 pounders because once installed you can’t see them...........

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

1. M3A4E8
  2. Panzer III G
  3. Male IV
  4. Fw190 D9 - 48th
  5. Marder III H
  6. Matilda
  8. SH  Tempest V - 32nd
  9. LRDG Chevy
  10. Sherman M4DV

Wow!

• Like 4