The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

• Members

I'm going to follow your lead on this one, I have the E-3.  Biggest issues;

1: Cockpit is nowhere near reality (I got a good deal on Aries E cockpit on ebay). 

2.  Lower contours (oil cooler cover and lower fuselage aft of wing) way too sharp.  Some sanding may help but the plastic isn't thick enough to fully correct. 

3.  Mis-shaped rudder (steal from Revell 109, it's a perfect fit). 

4.  No detail on for propeller collars on hub, this was a prominent feature (I've got some Eduard E-1s that I'm using for earlier conversions so I'll steal from one of those). 

5.  Wheels, easy fix (CMK). 

I'm sure there are more but those are the biggies off the top of my head.  Good luck!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Mikester said:

I'm going to follow your lead on this one, I have the E-3.  Biggest issues;

1: Cockpit is nowhere near reality (I got a good deal on Aries E cockpit on ebay). 

2.  Lower contours (oil cooler cover and lower fuselage aft of wing) way too sharp.  Some sanding may help but the plastic isn't thick enough to fully correct. 

3.  Mis-shaped rudder (steal from Revell 109, it's a perfect fit). 

4.  No detail on for propeller collars on hub, this was a prominent feature (I've got some Eduard E-1s that I'm using for earlier conversions so I'll steal from one of those). 

5.  Wheels, easy fix (CMK). 

I'm sure there are more but those are the biggies off the top of my head.  Good luck!

Cheers Mike,  that's the sort of help i need for this one. 

• Like 3

• Members
1 hour ago, Martinnfb said:

It does have some warts, but I'm always up for a challenge.  if you want to do a Trop version it's currently the only game in town damn near.  Been Jonesin' to use my Hataka LW desert paint colors set too.

• Like 4

Ok so we are go, i have decided to wing it. First little bit to get started. Don't laugh, scratching odd little  bits I'm ok with.... just. I still haven't or can't decide on an E4. I like the idea of a clean cammo (no mottle) and also with the front nose cone removed and a lookalike cannon up front. Hummmm.....20190402_215658.thumb.jpg.71fb0e52c0e6d8be72f6250d93e84d6a.jpg

So i cut away bottom row of gauges.

Put a small 1mm shim on back dash support piece, and now i can add missing gauges. Putting the shim on the back support allows me to move gauges back also..

20190402_220328.jpg

• Like 4

Coolboxx,
that's right. 
The throttle then has a thumb rocker switch to do the function when the prop pitch is in manual.
Be careful of the compass represented in your drawn image, the E compass was a fluid filled bulged affair as in the photo you posted.

cockpite4.jpg.6f17596b4e6463d5f3c0e5a0a862a592.jpg

cockpite4a.thumb.jpg.dfd06a55c1b161dd9866805dfb0647c1.jpg

• Like 4

Hi all, this update has had me thinking, many little problems to resolve but nothing to serious....honest. it's the cockpit i'am working on. Trumperter have got the detail in their, but all in the wrong place lmao (how did this happen).As the pictures will show side panels and seat moved forward 4mm. Floor chopped up and put back together in the right places...Detail now being added. Throttle body, taps, pipes, pilots hatch and shelf behind seat ect. Then will clean up and paint. I'am not trying for 100% limited knowledge, but something a little bit closer.

20190414_190626.jpg

20190419_012055.jpg

20190415_201104.jpg

20190418_205822.jpg

20190418_210629.jpg

20190420_215103.jpg

20190420_220055.jpg

20190420_220015.jpg

20190420_214628.jpg

20190420_214702.jpg

• Like 4

I couldn't do that .......................... oh I could 'try' but would end up with a box of very expensive shavings...................... very precise.............. and very sharp.......... I am a little perplexed as to why some of these fairly expensive kits always need , what looks like, a lot of reworking, it's all in the details, and these small adjustments make it museum quality........ I love what you're doing....... looks excellent...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

I couldn't do that .......................... oh I could 'try' but would end up with a box of very expensive shavings...................... very precise.............. and very sharp.......... I am a little perplexed as to why some of these fairly expensive kits always need , what looks like, a lot of reworking, it's all in the details, and these small adjustments make it museum quality........ I love what you're doing....... looks excellent...

Thanks Jeff, i didn't really want to chuck money at this kit if i could help it. And to my surprise and a little creative license you can make good a lot of the inaccuracies. 

• Like 3

• Administrators
On 4/7/2019 at 12:36 AM, Kais said:

Coolboxx,
that's right. 
The throttle then has a thumb rocker switch to do the function when the prop pitch is in manual.
Be careful of the compass represented in your drawn image, the E compass was a fluid filled bulged affair as in the photo you posted.

cockpite4a.thumb.jpg.dfd06a55c1b161dd9866805dfb0647c1.jpg

Hey Kais,

Is that Ed Russell's old Emil?  I knew it got sold and brought to England...   I've seen it fly several times, and was cool to see in formation with a Spitty, Hurricane, P-51, and a Lanc.   You never realize how small the 109 really is until you see one next to an Allied fighter.

• Like 4