Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Finally finished my BBQ table

BlrwestSiR

So soon after Sue and I got married she suggested we get a Big Green Egg BBQ/smoker. Who was I to say no to such a request. Anyways after we got one, I thought it needed a better stand or table than what it came with. I found some plans online but didn't get much past collecting the wood needed for the table. Last year I finally got started on building it. I started with the table top by gluing three 2x10 pine boards together with some oak strips in between them. I also used the smart oak strips as an edging. 

DSC_0064-L.jpg

DSC_0063-L.jpg

I then cut all the lumber for the legs and frame to size. Which was as far as I got. 

This past weekend was the first long weekend for the summer here in Canada (happy May 24!) so I got everything out and decided to try and get more of it done. I assembled the legs and frame, using 1" dowel at the joints to strengthen them (I hope).

IMG_20190518_125758-L.jpg

I used 5' long 1x6 for the side boards. From here it went pretty quickly. I planed down the table top, then stained and sealed it. 

IMG_20190518_171128-L.jpg

Finally I cut the hole for the Egg to fit into, then got some help from my neighbour to put  it in as the Egg is around 159-200 lbs. 

So finally, after almost 9 years, I have the table I've wanted for our BBQ.

IMG_20190518_183123-L.jpg

Best part is I got it done before our anniversary which is this Thursday. 

So now then, who's coming over for the steaks?:D 

Carl

• Like 9

50 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Carl, can you ship that to me, as I seem to have FIRST dibs, that would make an excellent model table !  WOW, nice job buddy.. I love it

Jeff, I'd have to ship it freight. It's probably close to 250 lbs all finished. 

Thanks! It was definitely a fun project. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, GazzaS said:

That table looks excellent, Carl!  The Oak strips make it look heaps better than a standard pine table.

Gaz

Thanks Gaz! I was surprised at the difference on appearance they made. It made things a bit more work but definitely was worth it. 

4 hours ago, Bill_S said:

Nice job, Carl!

Thanks Bill

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

Looks great man, those tables built for those eggs are expensive!

Thanks Ryan, and yeah if you buy one they're not cheap. 

• Like 2

Well, that freight shipping might be a bit pricey, so maybe a medium rare Porterhouse, instead?............... seriously, the fit and finish is excellent I agree with Gaz, the strips take it to the next level.......  it really is beautiful..............

• Like 3

That table looks nice and durable, great work, it's always fun to work with wood and your BBQ is awesome too, with the weight you are stating it must be cast iron. The best is that it is 1/1 scale, but it lacks some historical background :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Jeff said:

Well, that freight shipping might be a bit pricey, so maybe a medium rare Porterhouse, instead?............... seriously, the fit and finish is excellent I agree with Gaz, the strips take it to the next level.......  it really is beautiful..............

A porterhouse works for me. 

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

That table looks nice and durable, great work, it's always fun to work with wood and your BBQ is awesome too, with the weight you are stating it must be cast iron. The best is that it is 1/1 scale, but it lacks some historical background :D.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob! It's actually ceramic. The heat retention is awesome which is probably one of the reasons you can get away with a wood table for it. 

21 minutes ago, 1to1scale said:

Looks great, Im not a good woodworker, so I ended up getting some stainless prep tables for myself, but I am jealous!

Thanks! A small stainless table was the backup plan. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, harv said:

Very cool project Carl ! Came out gre as t. Now, get busy on those benches ....harv :thumbsup2:

Thanks Harv! Sue just told me how she wants the benches. They're to be in an L shape around the edge of the loggia. Should be fun.  

• Like 3