Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

The funny thing about 3d printing at home...

seiran01

... is that before long you have a 1/32 scale Ki-98!

A friend and I have designed this from scratch with the hope of making it into a full kit.  No plans to sell it but just to see if we can do it. The tail booms are printing right now, and then the detail stuff can start getting developed once we know the airframe part breakdown is good. 

Guys, words can’t describe how excited I am to have this plane in large scale!

R5WkD3a.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

How cool is that! Do you have much experience with computers and programs your using to do all of this Mike, or are you learning along the way? How I would love to just have the basic skills to print odds and ends.

• Like 2

Thanks guys. Yes, for the most part we're learning along the way. Likely will use parts robbed from a j2m (prop and some cockpit internals) and me262 (metal gear from the trumpy kit) to help this one along.

Anyone who isn't Ernie want to guess the next project? He knows too much.

• Like 4

1:24 B-58 Hustler.

Anycubic Photon S eh? I'm seriously considering one. What's you opinion of it?

I have a modded up CR-10S currently but it's pushed about as far as it can be. My next rig will not be a filament printer.

• Like 2

Well, no, the Photon S is my friend's that I'm borrowing to set up and speed up the printing of the plane, my one is a regular Photon.

Been having difficulty getting prints to stick to the build plate with the S, and as of right now there is no firmware upgrade for the S to add the anti-aliasing that my standard one was upgraded to last month. So right now, the "standard" Photon is hands down the way to go for quality of the print resolution.

Kev, yes this is a resin one.

Whatever designs I'm doing, they're going to be in 1/32.  I did think about a B-58 briefly, but that's not in the top ten for full aircraft kits to develop. Vampire/Venom would have been near the top of the list but once LEM announced they're doing the vampire (which will almost certainly need detailed cockpit and gear well...), they dropped off my must-design list.

• Like 2

Thanks guys, I’m excited too! The projects queued up are all 1/32 Korean War/Cold War (yes, the Arrow and Clunk are very high on that list) and RNZAF. The next ones we will work on are hush hush for now but are long overdue in any scale, and I’ve just started working separately on a Lancaster B.Mk.II conversion and am planning a Lancastrian nose/tail cone (for Ernie?) and Lincoln conversion for myself. Announcement coming soon from a real resin manufacturer using one or two of my component designs too, this is something I’m really, really excited for :-D

Guys remind me to bring my Ki98 to the Nats...

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah me too Carl! 

Got the last major airframe parts printed today, man we are proud of this as a first effort. Prop is from a Hase j2m, a few major cockpit parts will come from the j2m as well. Im making this as an in-flight display now with a ZM pilot looking over his shoulder, so we have opted to not go out of our way adding pit details.

This new approach is so that we can start on the next project which will be a conversion for a plane we both love, and it’ll be done to fit kits in 32nd, 48th and 72nd with a goal that it *could* be a product made available for sale. The conversions will require a bunch of new cockpit parts as well as major (yet simple) fuselage and cowl modifications. 

Anyone wanna hazard a guess what it might be? I won’t give any hints or answers :)

2n4VsZI.jpg

• Like 2