The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Zu schnell für Dich!! The Final Update 21/8/19

Hello, Friends!

One of my little quirks is that I like my models to be somewhat unique.  Instead of building Hartmann, Barkhorn, Richtofen, or some other well known ace, I look for the plane less modelled.  I won a kit in a raffle that is a one-off warplane.  Just too late to enter production.  So that left me with limited decal options.  I could either do the one, or some fantasy wartime version.  I'm not much one for Luft' 46 or paper panzers. so I decided to make a racing plane out of it.  I've removed all of the gun related stuff:  blisters, cartridge ejection ports, and holes that bullets would pass through...  oh...and the Revi gunsight...  no need for that.  I also reworked the cooling flaps which were molded completely closed.

The landing gear are just held in place by Blutack so that I could place the masks properly.

And I made masks, too!

67671351_698737633926314_605996448688059

67728770_698737627259648_130645912937562

67728762_698737643926313_435206549747112

67601803_698737687259642_643824845164485

Thanks for looking!

GAz

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Gaz, brilliant............simply brilliant............

by the way, as you now reside down under  does that mean you’re an Ashes convert........

Thank you, Phil!

As we don't have cricket in the US...  or didn't when I left, anyway..., I haven't developed a taste for the game.  It is pretty inescapable here, and I pay enough attention for conversational benefit.  We have cable TV in my workplace break-room, so I do get to watch a bit now and again.  I've always believed in being a hometown or home-nation fan.  So, it's Aussie - Aussie - Aussie!!!

Of course, being a hometown fan becomes more complicated during the Olympics when I have to consider I was born in Germany, raised in the US, and now reside in Australia.

Gaz

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Gaz, brilliant............simply brilliant............

by the way, as you now reside down under  does that mean you’re an Ashes convert........

I see sandpaper...

IMG_20190803_101830.jpg.0f7053abe36bbf990c3009b08d8c80c0.jpg

So most likely then yeah?

Is that the PCM Ta-152C Gaz?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

ooh ooh ohh...

positively BRILLIANT!

Gaz, I have a Hasegawa F2 I was going to do that to as well.  Great minds think alike.

Thank you, Ernie!  Honestly I probably wouldn’t have done it were there more schemes and markings available.  But I’ve always wanted to do a 109 in NMF.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Wumm said:

I see sandpaper...

IMG_20190803_101830.jpg.0f7053abe36bbf990c3009b08d8c80c0.jpg

So most likely then yeah?

Is that the PCM Ta-152C Gaz?

Heh....  I leave scraps of sandpaper everywhere.  You are correct...  it is the PCM kit.  I won it in a raffle.

• Like 3

• Administrators
1 hour ago, crazypoet said:

Awesome approach - I like the way you look for opportunities to play in a bigger sandbox

Agreed. I love civilian schemes on ex military aircraft, and racers are truly where it’s at!

Like, how many P-63 or P-39 schemes can you do? Most all are green with red stars. But they were super competitive in the heyday of racing...

• Like 3

Me again....

I've spent an obscene amount of time trying to make it pretty....

Bits and pieces:

KhVyed.jpg

Three views in the sun:

1geh5U.jpg

2h6WZ2.jpg

vOllVi.jpg

A few more touch ups...  and then hopefully I can get it polished up satisfactorily before Hell freezes over...

Gaz

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nice looking bird of prey and the Colour fits great. I wonder how it would compete as a racer. Maybe they have to create a new class of high altitude races. 
Is the cockpit RLM 66 or shiny red?

Cheers Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, TJTX said:

Wow wow wow! How did you get such a smooth glossy finish!?

Thank you, Tony!  After 6000, and 12000 wet sanding, I used Meguire’s buffing compound.  It’s a liquid, not a paste that I got at a local car parts store.  Oh... and microfibre cloth that hasn’t been used for anything else or contaminated by dirt.

Gaz 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DocRob said:

Nice looking bird of prey and the Colour fits great. I wonder how it would compete as a racer. Maybe they have to create a new class of high altitude races. 

Cheers Rob

In researching the Reno Air races taking place after the war, the class using Mustangs and Corsairs were won around 486 MPH.   I imagine with good fuel, this plane might have competed well.

• Like 3

On 8/14/2019 at 1:38 AM, DocRob said:

Cheers Rob

Sorry I missed this part.  I left the cockpit gray, though not a particularly dark gray.  I didn't see much point in making it a flashy color.

• Like 4

• Administrators
5 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Sorry I missed this part.  I left the cockpit gray, though not a particularly dark gray.  I didn't see much point in making it a flashy color.

Good choice, Gazz. Many of today’s Reno racers use light grey or other typical cockpit colors, but they just tidy them up some.  As you know, there’s reasons cockpits are the colors they are. Less distraction, etc.

• Like 3

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, 1to1scale said:

Looks absolutely incredible, I really wish someone would have raced one. Between this and Tony's build, I am wanting to do a racer also! 

Let’s do it Mark!!!   Seriously. 

I have September Fury that’s been whispering in my ear for a long time. I remember we talked about a semi stock Bearcat.....

• Like 2