Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

39” 1/128 Seaview and Flying Sub

Model gives you the option of two different front windshields. One is modeled after the 12’ filming prop that was used for above water shots that had a smooth edge around the glass.  
All underwater shots were done with an 8 1/2’ prop that had window edging.  I choose this one since I’m building an underwater diorama.  
But this is the final sanding after gluing in and using my sprue goo to fill the gaps  

COElRG.jpg

• Like 9

Just now, BlrwestSiR said:

There's also the 8 window nose but that's the movie version. 

Or was that the TV one?

That was the movie.  At some time this kit was put out in the movie version I think.  Movie sub also lacked the two bulges seen at the top behind the windows and did not have the Flying Sub or the bottom doors for its “garage”.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Huge is an understatement.  I know where I want to put it when I’m done, but I think it’s going to cost me.  I’ve got to move a neon light and do some wiring for it in the ceiling, which has been on my “to-do” list anyway.  I’m adding ceiling outlets and spots for my display cases.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Scott

Looking so good and like Phil, your build brings back some terrific memories.

I’ve got a little sneaky plan I’m not revealing until I finish.  But let’s just say your memories will be in overdrive when it’s revealed! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/6/2023 at 3:37 PM, ScottsGT said:

Well, no secret weapon.  Just acrylic rod mounts instead of the short plastic mounts in the kit. 
But I think I’m going to need a bigger bench. 

EB8E9446-B61D-4364-BE03-BC95BDACC558.jpeg

Scott, I'll try not to say another word about the size of my Catalina.  You have some serious styrene there!!!  Can't wait to see what you have planned for the display. 

:popcorn:

• Like 3

I’m hitting the stage where this thing is kicking my butt!  As any huge styrene kit, minor warping has occurred after production.  But even worse, the design of parts fitting without gaps is non-existent.  I’m having to add sprue goo filler for the gaps and differences in parts thickness.  Might just have to jump over to Tamiya putty for these larger joints where they transition. 
V5eM8S.jpg

It may not look bad in this pic, but there is a big difference in the “body line” where it joins together. 

jHVFUL.jpg

I’ve already done three applications of sprue goo just to get it to this point.  And the gap between the body and the prop housings or sponsons is pretty nasty. I’ve dabbed in one filler coat of sprue goo.  I need to add more and hope it levels out better.  Might need to make a thinner mix.  Hmm, I wonder if I could apply with a syringe and an 18 ga. needle? 

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

To quote a syfi character from a different TV show from the same era…..”Oh the pain, the pain, the pain of it all…..”

Talk about a fiddly cockpit build! 

54Dday.jpg

But it looks good though. Can't wait to see it under a coat of paint and the added details. 

• Like 4