The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Nichimo 1/20 Cessna 172 N9812J "Juliet"

For 2023, I've decided to temporarily shelf all my helo builds so that I can concentrate on building this model for a friend's dad using the OOP Nichimo 1/20 Cessna 172 model.

Nichimo S-2002-2500 172gd++ (1)

I reached out to Josh Flowers (Aviation101) on YT about building his father's airplane from years ago as a surprise gift. 

Josh is all for it and we are supposed to surprise his dad with the model the week of the 2023 Nats in San Marcos, Texas.

His dad's 172 was N9812J. He called it "Juliet".

It carried this exact paint scheme except the wheel pants were all white.

630b0491fe987ce5b745d6b25f6b4ad8_zpsrrzs9s4l

The model requires alot of scratchbuilding especially on the inside to accurately show a 1980 model 172 instead of the early 70's 172.

The first hurdle was the rear passenger seat. The Nichimo model's seat looks nothing like the later version on the seat, so many nights were spent scratchbuilding the new seat. It still needs painted and seat belts, but I wanted to show off the seat.

20230101_000058 20230101_002121 20230101_002018

I took the children's seat and sanded down the upholstery ends to replicate what the rear passenger seat looks like in 1980 Cessna 172.

I then scratchbuild the seat frame and seat legs from Evergreen styrene rod.

Here's a not very good pic of the real seat.

20221212_041337

Comments and critiques welcome!

Tim

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

• Hawkwrench changed the title to Nichimo 1/20 Cessna 172 N9812J "Juliet"
1 hour ago, HubertB said:

I hope your mojo will take you through this build. This kit is the only one that prompted my getting out of my sacro-sanct 1/32 scale :)

Looking forward to see more :popcorn:

Hubert

Thanks Hubert, my mojo has to stay kicked in seeing I'm hand delivering it in Aug! Lol

Tim

• Like 6

2 hours ago, PanzerWomble said:

Really precise work there ! Nice to see some older techniques than reaching for the CAD and printer. 

Thanks.

I know nothing about 3d printing but have a buddy who is a wizard at that stuff. I just prefer to scratchbuild whenever possible. 

Tim

• Like 7

Tim, welcome to the forum.

WOW, a Cessna 172 Skyhawk. Will be following all the way, as I've logged more hours in Skyhawks then any other aircraft. Even took my commercial check ride in one. Back when I was flying 172's they were all four cylinder engines, not like the smooth sixes of today. For me, your build is going to be a trip down memory lane. 

Very nice work on the rear seat - looking mighty good.

• Like 4

On 1/25/2023 at 4:06 PM, Peterpools said:

WOW, a Cessna 172 Skyhawk. Will be following all the way, as I've logged more hours in Skyhawks then any other aircraft. Even took my commercial check ride in one. Back when I was flying 172's they were all four cylinder engines, not like the smooth sixes of today. For me, your build is going to be a trip down memory lane. 

Thanks Peterpool!!!

You oughta try and snag one of Ebay sometime.

Tim

• Like 3

Hi Ernie

You're so right as I'm pretty sure the number of Skyhawks that have rolled off the Wichita assembly line has passed 43,000. I've always loved flying 172's, sweet and easy and no bad habits. As a renter back in those days, every time you climbed into the lefthand seat, you needed to familiarize yourself where Cessna moved things as they did change from model year to model year and that did include changes to the interior upholstery. Back then, the material of choice was 'pleather' or a fabric, as the 172 I flew hadn't made it to the ranks of leather yet - that was the realm of Beechcraft. 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, it turned in to more than a few days, but I finally started on the pilot seats.

First up was the left seat. I added the forward/aft handle from .030 rod bent to shape and the 2 ends of rods are for the crank handles for height adjustments. 

I also added a back pouch made from 2 part aves putty.

20230305_005212

More later tomorrow after church.

Tim

• Like 11

On 3/6/2023 at 10:38 PM, shark64 said:

Wait a second here Tim, I recall you were doing a Blackhawk....did u finish it?

In any case a good start on the Cessna.

No, this model has to be finished by the nationals as I am delivering it to a youtube pilot's father who lives in San Marcos.

Once it's done, I'll finish up the blackhawk. 

I'd love to you work your magic with this model Shark!!!

Tim

• Like 2

When I was a kid living in Oak Brook, Illinois they used to have air shows at a local

airstrip. One time a pilot who owned one of these aircraft took my sister and myself,  up

for a ride. These days such an event would be unthinkable..... We had no parental

consent....we were alone. He took us up for a short trip.....he even flew us over our

own house, brought us back down in just...probably, no more than 10 minutes.

Very cool. It's still the only time I was ever in a light aircraft. But I remember the type.

Your build reminds me of the time. 1974 I think it was. I also remember seeing this kit, and taking a peek inside the box at my favorite hobby shop-now sadly, long gone.

Thanks;

I'll be viewing with intrest.

Paul

• Like 3

Thanks Paul. I remember one Saturday, my dad and I rented a 172 and took off from Ft. Knox and just puttered around the surrounding base for awhile. It's a memory I cherish so much!

While I wait for the Vallejo putty to dry on my seats, I decided to tackle the oval that houses the dual landing lights under the nose. 

Screenshot_20221217-062443_Chrome

After a few hours of shaping and sanding with files and sanding sticks, I have the rough opening finished. 

20230311_205224

In hindsight, I wish I would have made it a little smaller, but it's done now so it is what it is.

Hopefully as I fill it in with details, it will look a little closer to real.

Tim

• Like 6

On 1/25/2023 at 4:06 PM, Peterpools said:

Glad I could take you down memory lane, it's good to go back once in awhile and think about the good memories!!!

Tim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Hawkwrench said:

Thanks Paul. I remember one Saturday, my dad and I rented a 172 and took off from Ft. Knox and just puttered around the surrounding base for awhile. It's a memory I cherish so much!

While I wait for the Vallejo putty to dry on my seats, I decided to tackle the oval that houses the dual landing lights under the nose. 

Screenshot_20221217-062443_Chrome

After a few hours of shaping and sanding with files and sanding sticks, I have the rough opening finished. 

20230311_205224

In hindsight, I wish I would have made it a little smaller, but it's done now so it is what it is.

Hopefully as I fill it in with details, it will look a little closer to real.

Tim

Well, your opening is good for the outside perimeter. Now to reproduce the embossed center part with its outside rivets and lights in the middle …

Taking notes for my own build :popcorn:

Hubert

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

After looking at the nose a little longer, my AMS kicked in and I had to make it better.

First, I took a scrap piece of .010 sheet styrene and glued it to the back to make the mounting wall for the landing lights.

Secondly, I then took a strip of .030 styrene and heated it up using my floor heater and began to roll it back and forth using a paintbrush handle till I got the rough shape and then snipped it and glued it into the opening to look like the bezel.

Finally, I took Vallejo putty and filled in the gaps and sanded. (Looks like a small gap needs more).

I temporarily placed 2 resi-cast 4mm light lenses inside to see how much it better it looks.

I think it looks ALOT better. All I need to do now is glue on some resin rivets and I'll call it finished. 

20230327_022743

Chow until next update this weekend.

Comments and critiques welcome!

Tim

• Like 10