Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Revell 1/32 Spitfire Mk IIa

INTRO AND STARTING

With so many starts and stops with the Kingfisher and then the weeks of the stress crack repairs, the build spent a lot of time in the repair booth doing nothing but drying as the repairs kept going on and I had basically nothing to do. I knew I wanted the build the Revell Spit Mk lla after following John’s build and would go at it a bit differently. Over the years, I had accumulated a lot of Barracuda resin sets all of which were for the cockpit except one, which was for the exterior upgrades.  Most of the sets were designed as I can see for the Tamiya Spits and with some work would work on the Revell kit. I also had Edgar’s notes and would incorporate a good number of his suggestions.

The game changer for me, was the awesome Quinta cockpit set and I’ve become a huge fan of their products as my last two builds used them: GWH P-40B and the Tamiya Spitfire Mk XVIe. Crisp and clean, easy to use and no hunting around as to where they go. I decided to save the Barracuda sets for other Spitfire builds and just use the exterior upgrade set and leave the interior to the Quinta set.  

So while waiting for the Kingfisher to immerge from the repair shop, there was plenty of time to start the Spit. Lots of part clean up and these are the old Revell instructions – so care needs to be exercised. The front office is done and except for some cables that need to be added to the right hand cockpit side wall from under the IP and the shoulder belters for the Sutton harness, the fuselage is almost ready to be glued up.

MRP RAF Interior Green was used for the entire interior – I really like their rendition and for touch up work, I have the MRP matching color from their acrylic range – perfect combination.

Typical Revell and with some work the interior looks good and with the Quinta detail set, it’s close to a wow from a just OK.

Quinta IP Set

hewK8g.jpg

wfDwQ9.jpg

lc2vEI.jpg

Both the kit joystick was done as well as the Barracuda joystick - not sure which to use. The seat still needs work as well, as I forgot to paint the actual seat the reddish brown Bakelite color - has since been repainted.

ATEGMJ.jpg

• Like 16

16 hours ago, Peterpools said:

INTRO AND STARTING

With so many starts and stops with the Kingfisher and then the weeks of the stress crack repairs, the build spent a lot of time in the repair booth doing nothing but drying as the repairs kept going on and I had basically nothing to do. I knew I wanted the build the Revell Spit Mk lla after following John’s build and would go at it a bit differently. Over the years, I had accumulated a lot of Barracuda resin sets all of which were for the cockpit except one, which was for the exterior upgrades.  Most of the sets were designed as I can see for the Tamiya Spits and with some work would work on the Revell kit. I also had Edgar’s notes and would incorporate a good number of his suggestions.

The game changer for me, was the awesome Quinta cockpit set and I’ve become a huge fan of their products as my last two builds used them: GWH P-40B and the Tamiya Spitfire Mk XVIe. Crisp and clean, easy to use and no hunting around as to where they go. I decided to save the Barracuda sets for other Spitfire builds and just use the exterior upgrade set and leave the interior to the Quinta set.  

So while waiting for the Kingfisher to immerge from the repair shop, there was plenty of time to start the Spit. Lots of part clean up and these are the old Revell instructions – so care needs to be exercised. The front office is done and except for some cables that need to be added to the right hand cockpit side wall from under the IP and the shoulder belters for the Sutton harness, the fuselage is almost ready to be glued up.

MRP RAF Interior Green was used for the entire interior – I really like their rendition and for touch up work, I have the MRP matching color from their acrylic range – perfect combination.

Typical Revell and with some work the interior looks good and with the Quinta detail set, it’s close to a wow from a just OK.

Quinta IP Set

hewK8g.jpg

wfDwQ9.jpg

lc2vEI.jpg

Both the kit joystick was done as well as the Barracuda joystick - not sure which to use. The seat still needs work as well, as I forgot to paint the actual seat the reddish brown Bakelite color - has since been repainted.

ATEGMJ.jpg

Looking good Peter! :)

• Like 4

Thanks Dennis, they are fantastic and well worth the expense. I have a good number now and treat them in the same light as canopy mask sets - a must before starting a build. I'm itching to get going on the Border Lancaster but the Quinta detail set isn't available yet. It is supposed to be released this week and I'm still tossing as to order direct or wait for SB to receive them.

• Like 3

THE FRONT OFFICE

Steady work on the front office and it’s about 95% done. A full Quinta cockpit set was used and it brought the rather plain jane office to a new level. Getting all the parts to fit has been a chore and I’m still at it. The kit’s instructions are the old style and a good number of specific fit details are either not shown or are just too unclear to be of help. I’m still fussing with trying to get everything to line up and it quite doesn't. The other issue is fitting the cockpit assembly into the fuselage half so the left cockpit wall can be added and the fuselage closed up. Just a lot of tweaking and sanding but I’m getting there.

My office has a few 'goofs' but they look fine and when everything is closed up, none can be seen. Hopefully by tonight, the fuselage will be together. One small part that stills needs some TLC is the rear portion of the Sutton harness .. just a bit finicky.

As it seems, I’m getting into WWII RAF aircraft this year and after the Spit, I’m hoping to start the Border Lancaster. I’m waiting for the Quinta Detail set to be released hopefully tomorrow and then have to decide if it’s safe to order it directly from Quinta or wait for Sprue Bros to receive it.

MmpT9b.jpg

ZhBdD9.jpg

vexuof.jpg

RwziQm.jpg

z6WQuz.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Rob, just followed the excellent mini-instructions, a set of Tamiya instructions and a few pics and all was well. I find using Micro Krystal Kleer works perfectly, with plenty of time for adjustments and I've been using Quinta decals this from the first time I tried them and never has a single decal fallen off.