Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

1 hour ago, Clunkmeister said:

No Pontos set, hubert, which surprised me alot. There's some 3D printed stuff out there and plenty of PE, Brass and resin, so we might have a shot at it. Artwox out of Russia makes a decent wood deck that's sold locally as well.

I was sure I had seen a detail set, but when I checked, after my post, I found out Pontos did not have a set, nor did Ka-Models ...

On the other hand, Shapeways seem full of detail sets for ship kits, including this one ;)

Hubert

• Like 4

• Administrators
2 hours ago, HubertB said:

I was sure I had seen a detail set, but when I checked, after my post, I found out Pontos did not have a set, nor did Ka-Models ...

On the other hand, Shapeways seem full of detail sets for ship kits, including this one ;)

Hubert

Yep, Shapeways doesn't have the full funnel and pagoda, but they have some of the otgher stuff.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

I can honestly say with 100% surety that the ONLY Trumpy/Hobbyboss kit that I've ever been truly disappointed with is the B-24.  I was rubbing my hands with glee when it was announced, and the one single thing that I prayed they'd get right is the one thing they screwed up. The center section and wing IS the look of the B-24. 

So I sit and wait to see how Iain makes out, and if his fix is successful, I'll be all over it. If it doesn't work, I'll build one anyway.  it's safe to say that if the Lanc hadn't come along, I'd have built a B-24 already. So as of now, we wait for the AM to catch up with the kit.

:lol: :lol: :lol: ... Now isn't that funny ...

The three main things I notice most about the B-24 (in no particular order) are: The huge twin paddle tail, the clunky roller-doors in the bomb bay and the really odd mis-happen turrets that look like they were just shoved on as an afterthought. Like: "oh crap, we better give these poor bastards some sort of protection ... here you go mate ... good luck!" ... :rofl:

I had never even known what a Davis airfoil looked like ... until a bunch of you more astute individuals pointed it out! ... I might give Iain's "airfoil remedy" a crack if he gets to releasing a template to work off. But in the end I'm not sure I'll be all that concerned. Some people were concerned about the half-assed looking engines ... but while they really do look dodgy on the sprue ... looking at the cowl - I'm not going to see much at all through there so - meh! For those madly desperate for a maintenance and repair dio' I'm sure Eduard or someone will launch the appropriate Brassin cowl and engine gear. The frosted turrets worried me until I saw one polished out - even the seam doesn't look THAT bad on one fixed and assembled ... If I can find some clear drying stuff to stick 'em together (I think my normal plastic glue dries opaque?!) I should be set! ...

I do know what you mean though ... about issues with a kit really bugging you ... I'm not a complete accuracy basket case ... but I do tend to notice some wildly off shape issues ... like, forgetting "nose-gate" on the HKM B-17 ... it just looks a bit chubby to me, you know? ... like it's developed a taste for a drive through diet. The Hobby-Boss Mk.V Spitfire looked very misshapen (although my HpH correction set should go a long way to fixing that one up) ... The Trumpeter F-thru-K Bf.109's look a bit too pointy, yet assembled and painted they turn out quite nice (and are pleasant to build, with no real vices in the engineering or fit department) ... Yet for whatever reason I can shrug off the Bf.109E's mistakes more easily. The more recent Revell Mk.II Spitfire had accuracy issues over the place ... but it was mainly the chunky look about it that disappointed me most. Still I haven't built one yet - so I may change my mind at a later date! ... I Still haven't got the Barracuda correction works for it either.

Rog :)

• Like 4

• Administrators

Haha, no kidding. I certainly can’t argue that the B-24 is or isn’t ugly.  I’d have better luck trying to catch moth farts in a net.

I tend to read reviews and opinion pieces when it comes to accuracy, and work with the kit that gets the most thumbs upon general shape. The difficulty of the build is secondary to opinions on shape, and I’ll deal with missing internals myself.

Take the Hurricane I started a build thread on.  The one beef I have is the flat wing syndrome that creeps into builds.  I’ll spend weeks just fixing that annoying bit. Rationality be damned, I won’t have a flat wing fighter in my collection!  :)

Now see, I never noticed any issues with the Revel Mk.ll other than the obvious fact that it was scaled off a complete collection of airworthy parts that vaguely resembles an early Spitfire.  The Barracuda and Eagle correction sets will fix that well enough, I hope.

But since being shown the B-17 nose I can never unsee it. I think I can disguise it with some careful swipes of the files and some paint sleight of hand... we’ll see. 

We will find out soon enough, I think.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Yup, that's the one. I have the hanger upgrade as well as the PE antenna and railing set. 

I love this SBY 2199 remake ...

Got a couple of '72 scale kits to go with it a while back ...

nHo5zhi.jpg

VA0K4rO.jpg

XIDVNlI.jpg

pvGlS5H.jpg

No Gamilian Czvark for Melda though :(

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Artful69 said:

I love this SBY 2199 remake ...

Got a couple of '72 scale kits to go with it a while back ..

I've got those as well except for the standard Cosmo Falcon. I did a triple build of the Cosmo Zero a few years ago.

IMG_20150520_000324-S.jpg

IMG_20150608_171649-S.jpg

I've only got the small pics left after the PB debacle.

Speaking of the Cosmo Zero, there's a Japanese artist who did some drawings based on the idea of other WWII fighters having inspirational fighters in the SBY universe.

SF51Ps-L.jpg

VaughnCorsairMkI-thumbnail2-S.jpg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I've got those as well except for the standard Cosmo Falcon. I did a triple build of the Cosmo Zero a few years ago.

I've only got the small pics left after the PB debacle.

Speaking of the Cosmo Zero, there's a Japanese artist who did some drawings based on the idea of other WWII fighters having inspirational fighters in the SBY universe.

Yeah ... I've seen some of that art work - the battleships and carriers are great! ... What scale are your Zero's?

• Like 3

Today ... I had the last two expected parcels turn up .... and one unexpected parcel - more on that later.

p2mkoke.jpg

First up a couple of books that I ordered from Amazon ...

ceizo4l.jpg

wwvAlKr.jpg

They kind of look like a Vol.1 and 2 set ... a few black and white pictures but mainly text.

Then a parcel from BNA Modelworld ...

Some battery operated paint stirrers ...

PVSpD9L.jpg

A four air-brush holder stand ... 

HJhqbko.jpg

A cleaning pot ...

RIEoMVT.jpg

A decent set of brushes for detail work ...

0eTR7d6.jpg

qy8zzah.jpg

and ... another piece of the RAAF puzzle ...

rHX6tiz.jpg

Yesterday ... I got home to find a FedEx missed delivery notice ... with a tracking number I'd never seen.

Now the only 2 FedEx numbers I DID have were from some orders from Amazon that are still showing "Shipping Label Created" from a month ago.

Amazon refunded the money from these two orders - on the expected delivery date - because they were advised that they could not fulfil them.

Each order contained 2 books ... the first was for a book on the A-20G and the He.219 ... the second order was for books on The B-25 and The Bf.110 and Me.210 and 410.

While I was waiting for the refunds to clear I ordered the same four books again (plus another) through Booktopia (and I must say that the service and level of communication has been amazing with these guys) ... at every change in the process I get an email alert - much better.

Meanwhile at some point a week or so ago ... a NEW label was created by Amazon and these items shipped to me ... somehow?? ...

59MThJm.jpg

V5kjbjH.jpg

YF2W0bl.jpg

A9WUREu.jpg

As you can see ... they are fairly chunky and about the same size as the Classics books.

They weren't packaged very well ... no packing materials inside that destroyed box ...

I'm pretty sure the ratty dust covers are the result of that sad effort.

So I guess I have a couple of spares now ... some food for the e-Bay sales maybe??

So ... like I said ... that's it for the incoming packages for now ... except for the Booktopia order ... but I have no idea when that will show up.

There's a few random tools that I'll be needing (like a CA glue applicator) ... and some AM (like RAAF decals for the Super Hornet)

... but I'll get them organised when I organise the next round of kits.

There is the upcoming Academy F/A-18A's on order ... plus the HS.129 stuff from ZM and a Lanc' (I'll decide WNW or HKM once the WNW kit hits the market)

And now I hear that the RAAF have Growlers as well as the F's!! ... stay tuned!

Rog :)

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Artful69 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: ... Now isn't that funny ...

The three main things I notice most about the B-24 (in no particular order) are: The huge twin paddle tail, the clunky roller-doors in the bomb bay and the really odd mis-happen turrets that look like they were just shoved on as an afterthought. Like: "oh crap, we better give these poor bastards some sort of protection ... here you go mate ... good luck!" ... :rofl:

I had never even known what a Davis airfoil looked like ... until a bunch of you more astute individuals pointed it out! ... I might give Iain's "airfoil remedy" a crack if he gets to releasing a template to work off. But in the end I'm not sure I'll be all that concerned. Some people were concerned about the half-assed looking engines ... but while they really do look dodgy on the sprue ... looking at the cowl - I'm not going to see much at all through there so - meh! For those madly desperate for a maintenance and repair dio' I'm sure Eduard or someone will launch the appropriate Brassin cowl and engine gear. The frosted turrets worried me until I saw one polished out - even the seam doesn't look THAT bad on one fixed and assembled ... If I can find some clear drying stuff to stick 'em together (I think my normal plastic glue dries opaque?!) I should be set! ...

I do know what you mean though ... about issues with a kit really bugging you ... I'm not a complete accuracy basket case ... but I do tend to notice some wildly off shape issues ... like, forgetting "nose-gate" on the HKM B-17 ... it just looks a bit chubby to me, you know? ... like it's developed a taste for a drive through diet. The Hobby-Boss Mk.V Spitfire looked very misshapen (although my HpH correction set should go a long way to fixing that one up) ... The Trumpeter F-thru-K Bf.109's look a bit too pointy, yet assembled and painted they turn out quite nice (and are pleasant to build, with no real vices in the engineering or fit department) ... Yet for whatever reason I can shrug off the Bf.109E's mistakes more easily. The more recent Revell Mk.II Spitfire had accuracy issues over the place ... but it was mainly the chunky look about it that disappointed me most. Still I haven't built one yet - so I may change my mind at a later date! ... I Still haven't got the Barracuda correction works for it either.

You can always convert the newly released D into a C-87 ... no turret-seams issues, and as a bonus, you can even develop new, correct-diameter, cowlings for an early C-87. 

You’re « just » left with getting the Davis wing right ;) ...

Hubert

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Artful69 said:

What scale are your Zero's?

The larger one is the 1/72 kit, same as yours. The grey one is 1/100 and is a glue together kit from Bandai. Yup, they actually make some of those.  The smallest one is the Mecha Colle version from 2199 and is box scale. I suspect it's 1/144 but haven't seen anything published to confirm that. 

• Like 3

• Administrators

Rog,

Good to see your back getting cool stuff.

That means You and Carl can start speaking English again. :)

”Can you believe the Gavorkious Lessimilator Maxi version 21 on that Xr73a1 mod 4?” 

:rofl:

You sci fi guys crack me up. I love y’all like brothers, but y’all still are funny as a good stand up routine.  :)

Now I know

what us airplane guys sound like to our wives.

• Like 5

• Administrators
7 hours ago, HubertB said:

You can always convert the newly released D into a C-87 ... no turret-seams issues, and as a bonus, you can even develop new, correct-diameter, cowlings for an early C-87. 

You’re « just » left with getting the Davis wing right ;) ...

Hubert

The C-87 is a distinct possibility for me. But everyone I know, myself included, is waiting for the PB4J-2 conversion.  Everyone loves a Privateer.  Didn’t the French fly Privateers?

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

Rog,

Good to see your back getting cool stuff.

That means You and Carl can start speaking English again. :)

”Can you believe the Gavorkious Lessimilator Maxi version 21 on that Xr73a1 mod 4?” 

You sci fi guys crack me up. I love y’all like brothers, but y’all still are funny as a good stand up routine.  :)

Now I know

what us airplane guys sound like to our wives.

Hahaha ...

Bow before our awesome nerdiness :piliot:

SBY 2199 is EPIC!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

The C-87 is a distinct possibility for me. But everyone I know, myself included, is waiting for the PB4J-2 conversion.  Everyone loves a Privateer.  Didn’t the French fly Privateers?

Indeed they did. But you know me. Boooooring camoed aircraft, roundels (even if these ones had "hooks" on them ;) ) : not my cup-o'-tea ...

The one below on the other hand :rolleyes: (pic posted under Fair Use conditions)

Hubert

C-87.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Any idea on who's doing the Privateer conversion? That would be one to see and maybe get. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, crazypoet said:

Dammit - you guys are giving me the bug for more non-standard builds.

Now I'm looking at adding a P-47N in post-war Air National Guard guise to the build queue.

Asshats, the lot of ye! :popo:

Sorry, not sorry ! :sofa:........harv

• Like 3

On 9/20/2019 at 3:38 PM, crazypoet said:

Dammit - you guys are giving me the bug for more non-standard builds.

Now I'm looking at adding a P-47N in post-war Air National Guard guise to the build queue.

Asshats, the lot of ye! :popo:

We try our bestest! :D

• Like 1