Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

Kia Sportage X Line Pro - my new wheels.

OMG, right now just trying to learn how to use all the electronics is overwhelming for my generation. I'm working on how to use the emergency brake and even how to open up the gas fill door. Who would have thought a car could be so complicated but for being almost 77, it's quite a huge step for me in technology. In a day or so, I should hopefully in a day or so, I should have come to grips on how to use everything and have the setup done to my likings.  Right now it feels as if I'm sitting in the left hand seat of a 787 getting use to a brand new glass cockpit.

Later today, I'll take some images of my car, as this is just a photograph I found online. 

JYkTLp.jpg

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

Is it an hybrid ?

I bought recently, to replace the company car (which I cannot keep when I sell the company), a BMW X1 PHEV.
i just love the electric mode, which allows to do daily shopping without burning a single drop of gas. Of course it consumes electricity, but a reminder to all that an electric motor has an energy yield of 95 %, when a gas-burning one has at best 30/35 % yield, the rest being lost in heat … So basically, you use 1/3 of the energy of a gas-burning engine for the same mileage. Of course, it all depends on the way the electricity is produced, and how efficient the power grid is, to get the full picture …

Great purchase, Peter. I’m sure you’re gonna love it. I would also not know nowadays how to do with all the electronic gimmicks that seem initially so futile 😏

Hubert

• Like 4

Nice looking new set of wheels Peter.  I'm sure you'll have most of figured out shortly. We got our RAV4 hybrid last June and I'm still finding the odd feature I didn't know about. 

If it's a hybrid, like Hubert said you're going to love the lower gas bills. We got a RAV4 hybrid last June and the mileage has been great. Easily double the mileage of our Honda. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Peterpools said:

OMG, right now just trying to learn how to use all the electronics is overwhelming for my generation. I'm working on how to use the emergency brake and even how to open up the gas fill door. Who would have thought a car could be so complicated but for being almost 77, it's quite a huge step for me in technology. In a day or so, I should hopefully in a day or so, I should have come to grips on how to use everything and have the setup done to my likings.  Right now it feels as if I'm sitting in the left hand seat of a 787 getting use to a brand new glass cockpit.

Later today, I'll take some images of my car, as this is just a photograph I found online. 

JYkTLp.jpg

Nice one Peter! I just returned the rental car my insurance provided me with while

My Cherokee was in the body shop. The rental car was a Kia and I really

enjoyed it. Yes, the technology can be hard to get used to, but I'm sure

You'll do just fine. Enjoy your new ride!

• Like 2

Kia- change the oil every 3500 miles no matter what the oil jockeys or owners manual suggests.  
I know a top notch Kia mechanic on another forum that is constantly telling us stories of motors blowing up because “the oil container said it’s good for 10,000 miles….”

Maybe a Honda, but not a Kia.   

I think a car company would own the market if they came out with a really nice car without all that lane keeping crap, self braking advanced cruise control, warning bells and lights flashing because an on coming car had a sun reflection hit your sensors….

Our Honda Pilot is the worst.  And don’t get me started on throttle response lag.  I swear I sometimes stomp the pedal and hear elevator music playing.  

Okay, enough of my boomer rant about cars made in the good old days. 
Peter, looks great and you’ll enjoy it. 

• Like 1

More items trickling in today......

An oldie from Tamiya in 1/35, their  British Universal Carrier Mk.II European

Campaign (35175).

From Friulmodel, their ATL-65 tracks for the Centurion tank in 1/35.

I will use this on my Amusing Hobby FV4005 as the "snap together"

tracks from the kit, well, ......I don't think are worth the effort as they

come apart again too easily.

Last, some Surface Primer from Tamiya. Yes, it's Pink. This will be used

on my '53 War of the worlds movie Martian. I heard that the Tamiya primer

works on Vinyl (We'll see) and I thought that the pink primer would make

a good base for the red-ish color I'll use on that thing.

Anyway, I'm expecting more this week including some interesting items.

DSCN1866_kindlephoto-61684435.jpg

DSCN1867_kindlephoto-61650797.jpg

DSCN1868_kindlephoto-61589007.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Kia- change the oil every 3500 miles no matter what the oil jockeys or owners manual suggests.  
I know a top notch Kia mechanic on another forum that is constantly telling us stories of motors blowing up because “the oil container said it’s good for 10,000 miles….”

Maybe a Honda, but not a Kia.   

I think a car company would own the market if they came out with a really nice car without all that lane keeping crap, self braking advanced cruise control, warning bells and lights flashing because an on coming car had a sun reflection hit your sensors….

Our Honda Pilot is the worst.  And don’t get me started on throttle response lag.  I swear I sometimes stomp the pedal and hear elevator music playing.  

Okay, enough of my boomer rant about cars made in the good old days. 
Peter, looks great and you’ll enjoy it. 

Yes mechanics suggests to use longlife oils which ruins motor and transmission in long run. Better use cheaper oil and change more often. 

• Like 1

Thanks, Guys, for all the best wishes for enjoying my new toy - I've been spending a lot of time learning all the new computer systems and wizardry in the Sportage X Pro and it is simply amazing. I am torn between the classic smart drivers display and the new "Glass IP" look. - still deciding. The safety features in the car are amazing and I'm slowly setting them up.  Sound system is awesome 

My previous SUV was a Kia Sorento, fourth Kia (I've been a loyal customer) and her name was Hotlips (from MASH, the TV show) and that tradition continues.

• Like 6

On 7/30/2024 at 12:40 PM, Peterpools said:

Congratulations to your new 1/1 scale ride, Peter. I wish you lot of joy and plenty of fun miles with your Kia, BUT, where are the photos of yours?

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

Ron

Thanks you and much appreciated. Hopefully will be taking the photos around 6 PM today and I'll post them tonight or tomorrow morning. Just been so busy plus we have construction going on next door so just too many trucks in the street. 

• Like 1

Finally, my Saraf arrived as well as the needed two Quinta detail sets. For weeks I’ve been knocking myself out trying to figure out the right colors and which paints to use: MRP IAF paint set to the rescue. I’m ready and loaded for bear. Of course, I’m holding off and hoping the next GB will be the sand theme and I’m ready to go.

RIFWvL.jpg

DndT9Q.jpg

• Like 7

Bagged kit sale at my LHS. Sort of. They have offsite storage which unfortunately suffered a flood. So they're trying to move the kits there into the store. Many have wet boxes and therefore unusable decals and instructions. Who reads instructions anyways? So they're blowing them out at amazing prices. 

PXL_20240801_204433213.thumb.jpg.e4ada8f7d9d46398c70b11d930cbf86a.jpg

In the above, there's

- 3 1/32 Hasegawa P-47D kits

- 1 Hasegawa 1/32 P-40E, 

- 1 Tamiya  1/32 A6M2 Zero

- 2 Tamiya 1/35 Panther G late 

All for $100 CAD!

I had to stop there or I'd have been in real trouble. 

@Martinnfb did even better with his pile (s) of kits. 

Now to give everything a good wash.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Wow, that's a result Carl and Martin. You can probably get the instructions off Scalemates and AM decals would probably be the preferred route anyway, so it's a win-win,

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, GusMac said:

Wow, that's a result Carl and Martin. You can probably get the instructions off Scalemates and AM decals would probably be the preferred route anyway, so it's a win-win,

Gus, that's exactly my thoughts exactly. I have the Eduard Dottie Mae and P-40N kits in the stash and both have several decal options in them. 

• Like 4

Some items today from PlazaJapan.......

Hasegawa's Nakajima KI84 Type 4 Fighter Hayate/Frank (08074) in 1/32.

Tamiya's  Nakajima J1N1-Sa Night Fighter Gekko Type 11 Kou/IrvingIrving

(61093) in 1/48

Two weapons in 1/12 scale from Tomytec; a RPG-7 (LAO61) and a

G3A3 rifle (LAO821).

From INFINI, A set of Diamond Taper Files Narrow 2.5 mm. (ICT-0007).

Finally, from FineMolds, a turned brass barrel for their type 95 Ha-Go tank

In 1/35.

I haven't seen the Tamiya Gekko offered any place before and it really looks

like a nice kit. I already have masks for it.

The Hasegawa Ki-84 has always been on my list but has in the past been

sold-out always.....found this one for about $ 22.00 USD at Plaza.

I also have masks for this one. There is a surprising amount of nice

aftermarket stuff for this kit. I'm going to look into that.

DSCN1876_kindlephoto-23546788.jpg

DSCN1875_kindlephoto-23578438.jpg

DSCN1869_kindlephoto-23773916.jpg

DSCN1871_kindlephoto-23523022.jpg

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Gus, that's exactly my thoughts exactly. I have the Eduard Dottie Mae and P-40N kits in the stash and both have several decal options in them. 

Carl

So glad you were able to take advantage of water damaged kits ... the prices were amazing.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, belugawhaleman said:

Tamiya's  Nakajima J1N1-Sa Night Fighter Gekko Type 11 Kou/IrvingIrving

(61093) in 1/48

I have that one built Very Very Nice Kit:popcorn:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

My pile is rather excessive. I am just going to keep calm and blame it on Carl@BlrwestSiR   :)

It kept growing and i think would have been the whole section if I hadn't left the store. :D

21 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Come on, spill the beans……..

PXL_20240801_180547955.thumb.jpg.8b414579026a82f530ec044e9f229559.jpg

PXL_20240801_175358448.thumb.jpg.f9a7b71f2ffbe9cc0f2a31e0a295a22d.jpg

You didn't hear it from me!!!B)

• Haha 4

I forgot to say this is the just the first round of kits. Wheels and Wings have decided to empty the whole storage locker and are bringing everything in as space permits. 

The owner said they haven't gotten to the 1/200 ship kits yet but those are coming.

• Like 4

I am having second thoughts. The package weighs 15 kilograms and that comes with an appropriate shipping cost. Just to explain, no boxes, instructions/decals, only plastic. For a second I felt bad about dinosaurs but then I saw this ..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1