The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

1 hour ago, harv said:

I am so thrilled !! Got a package a little bit ago. All the way from Italy in 7 days ! Thank you Giovanni.......harv

20210907_154908.jpg

20210907_155215.jpg

Nice haul there, Harv. Shark64 has set the bar pretty high for you!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So ... I arrived home yesterday after my morning flight ... and a night shift of 12 hours ...

I was pretty spent but stuck my head into the hobby room to see what sort of shape it's in before commencing the build threads ... not too shabby and should only take a couple of hours to sort out ...

I took some very necessary sleep ... and then headed off to the post office later to collect some parcels 🚚

W2BuQLM.jpg

The good news is that everything I'd ordered had arrived - apart from a late order on Thursday last week ... which is due to arrive early next week ...

I've been meaning to get some individual style track links to replace the crappy DS things Dragon started putting into its kits a while back ... Going through my Dragon collection there was quite a number of Pz.III / IV chassis'd vehicles with those things in there ... so I put in an order with BNA Modelworld (a local supplier of stock to rival most ... and certainly with RFM track link kits!!)

GiP3uTW.jpg

We have ....

One kit for early and one kit for late Tigers (Fortunately All the others in the stash are either paint mules or had Magic Track supplied) and also the Jagdpanther (when I can get around to slotting a build date for it)

rYsHjfq.jpg

A couple of "Late Production" sets ... RFM divide these tracks into early and late ... when in reality there's early, mid and late with a couple of variations in between ... VERY early track designs for panzer III and IV's used a 38cm wide track - all my early war variants requiring these have magic track already supplied (I think ??) ... Thankfully, the reality is - that only the biggest differences are likely to be observed in this sort of scale ... and these tracks cover them ... the "Late Production" ones below (they've used that term VERY loosely) use a solid guide horn and have cleats for aiding grip at the surface contact points.

lvqCOrB.jpg

The "Early Production" tracks shown below are the type without cleats ... and have a hollow guide horn.

gCZlZiy.jpg

Another couple of items were grabbed at the same time ... a photo etch cutter (very necessary!) and this excellent looking little device called a track loader - which may be very handy considering all the track work I'm likely to be doing!! ... I'll let you know how it goes!

nJKmcJE.jpg

I wanted another Panther D ... and having acquired one of these Takom kits previously after doing the research - I figured it was too much of a pain to try one of the other brands for comparison (it might have been interesting - but at least I'll be dealing with exactly the same issues on this kit - should there be any). Once I did my research (previously) ... I found that locating one was the problem! ... There were about 3 or 4 available ex-China - a last resort and one in the UK, via e-Bay - customer service was excellent but I paid for it ... This time I found one locally available (if you call over east 'locally') and a quick phone call confirmed stock was actually available ... and so - delivered at less than half the price of the previous one ($220+ vs $100) ...

l0Er2MO.jpg

A while back Dragon started releasing some combo kits ... I have one with a smaller halftrack and mid war 105mm artillery piece ... there's one around with a mid sized halftrack and a 150mm gun but I can't find it anywhere :( ... and then there is this beauty ... a mid sized halftrack with an 88mm FlaK 😍 ... ex France via e-Bay and paying some overs but awesome!!

9QEpv7l.jpg

The shop owner was very helpful ... in combining postage for the kit below included ... I could have had 3 more kits for the same postage ... but there was only perhaps one more that I would have taken - maybe.

Back when I started some of the original research - Steve supplied some order of battle info for Citadel - and some further research provided an Ausf.M (wading muffler on rear) with a flame thrower attachment was used by the GD Division in the south ... I thought it might make an interesting addition.

ccAc81N.jpg

I have 2 Border "early" Tiger kits ... I wanted 3 early Tigers ...

I have both a Dragon and an RFM "Whittman" early Tiger ... but both would take some modification to make them NON-Whittman Tigers ... and I was contemplating a side by side build early in the planning stage ... I still might ... but I decided to grab another Border kit in case I can't be arsed when the time comes. 

I picked up this one from one of the local suppliers ... who finally got their stock in.

E5TqSsp.jpg

I might need another StuG.III ... I haven't decide whether to use my Tamiya kit for a StuH.42 yet. So I got this as a stand by.

tWQ7j4g.jpg

Recently I've been seeing a lot of recovery vehicles advertised ... I know they've been in existence in 1/35 for years ... but there seems to have been a greater focus on repair and recovery equipment lately ... and this is one example ... the trailer is designed for a Panzer or StuG - III or IV.

fLC3qZJ.jpg

Ok so the markings say El Alamein but I have an idea for this one in a much earlier setting ... just gotta get my variant dates right - It may be the wrong one but if so I'll just shelve it for another time ... by far the nicest looking British tank of the war for mine.

LFPBJIA.jpg

Have been waiting for one of these to come out in 1/32 for ages ... back when I was a kid, reading Commando comics, one of my favourite stories was about a pilot with a tendency to crash everything he flew (not though incompetence either!) ... He was assigned to a squadron operating these and flew just about every variation made ... I absolutely loved the design and wished that the ministry had taken more of an interest in the heavy fighter.

EdDeLbf.jpg

Thats all for now ...

Tomorrow I'll be clearing out the hobby room in preparation and getting the ute serviced

Rog :)

*** EDIT *** 

Forgot to pop this one on ... a second order over east - because the move to SP artillery was emphasised at Kursk ... this one came as a pleasant surprise because it has Magic Track included besides the DS crap ...

mwwk4Km.jpg

Ok ... that's it now lol

• Like 9

So Rog, what hobby shop did you clear out of their entire inventory?!!!

That's quite the pile of packages to come home to. 

My LHS had a few of thoseTakom Stugs and the Panzer III kits on clear out a while back. They were $30 CAD each so I grabbed a Panzer III. 

Carl

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Not as big a pile as Rog but I did have a box waiting for me today from Hannant's.

The biggie inside it was this:

PXL_20210909_034813381.thumb.jpg.c403c799b72412f80d6db565b0dbc6bb.jpg

I took a quick look inside and it's a nice looking kit. The only possible disappointment would be the gun barrels for the underwing Vulcan. Nothing a Master Barrel set can't fix. 

Stuff for a Canadair Sabre

PXL_20210909_005847109.thumb.jpg.5c886564de3fc20970177c0c0e68efc6.jpg

Some bits for a HK Do335

PXL_20210909_005806560.thumb.jpg.88d81f94df8a0843101bceaf136745d7.jpg

Finally a couple canopy mask sets.

PXL_20210909_005836571.thumb.jpg.67abf7f9dc71f9d024fafac486972b04.jpg

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

So Rog, what hobby shop did you clear out of their entire inventory?!!!

That's quite the pile of packages to come home to. 

My LHS had a few of thoseTakom Stugs and the Panzer III kits on clear out a while back. They were $30 CAD each so I grabbed a Panzer III. 

Carl

Added another I forgot ... 5 boxes from 4 retailers lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Rog, you have to show us your stash a some point……….nice haul and a few years building there…….

I've already posted pics ... somewhere ... but I'll include some on Saturday / Sunday when I start my builds if you like??

• Like 5

Reason # 2 to belong to a model club:  Many people would rather sell them cheap for quick cash than have to mess with EBay, the Post Office, and so on.  I got this Dragon Smart Kit with Magic Tracks for under a third of it's retail price.IMG_0029.thumb.JPG.e04b3f108d3d3fa7e7dbc57d4539c5a4.JPG

It also comes with the F2 barrel and muzzle brake, should I want to go that way.  Scored it yesterday.

Of course...    Reason #1 is camaraderie with people who share the same interests.  

Sadly...  I missed the raffle prize by one ticket.

The guy that won the raffle also scored the 1/200 scale Mikasa by Hobbyboss for less than 1/2 price with extras like an Artwox wooden deck and Master Barrels.

• Like 8

Parts is parts.... 

AML S-199 Sakeen conversion

Flaps to go with the rest of my SB2C stuff 

Werners Wings Blackhawk dekkals

and Berna decals for my Mirage 2000. Oddly enough the Berna decals instructions cover every bird  except the one I bought the sheet for so I've included a pic of the tail art in case anyone can lead me to pics of the real aircraft 

20210911_153118.jpg

20210911_153131.jpg

20210911_153146.jpg

20210911_153243.jpg

20210911_153214.jpg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Reason # 2 to belong to a model club:  Many people would rather sell them cheap for quick cash than have to mess with EBay, the Post Office, and so on.  I got this Dragon Smart Kit with Magic Tracks for under a third of it's retail price.IMG_0029.thumb.JPG.e04b3f108d3d3fa7e7dbc57d4539c5a4.JPG

It also comes with the F2 barrel and muzzle brake, should I want to go that way.  Scored it yesterday.

Of course...    Reason #1 is camaraderie with people who share the same interests.  

Sadly...  I missed the raffle prize by one ticket.

The guy that won the raffle also scored the 1/200 scale Mikasa by Hobbyboss for less than 1/2 price with extras like an Artwox wooden deck and Master Barrels.

Score!!!

Dragon had the market cornered for 1/35 scale until they started with those crappy DS track things ... I've found that some later issue kits will come with both - almost as if Dragon realised their mistake and started adding the Magic Tracks back in ...

They cottoned onto the link and length idea a bit to late also - with these new "Neo Smart Kit" issues... it's almost as if the market has passed them by now.

I have that kit in the stash - awesome!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Artful69 said:

Score!!!

Dragon had the market cornered for 1/35 scale until they started with those crappy DS track things ... I've found that some later issue kits will come with both - almost as if Dragon realised their mistake and started adding the Magic Tracks back in ...

They cottoned onto the link and length idea a bit to late also - with these new "Neo Smart Kit" issues... it's almost as if the market has passed them by now.

I have that kit in the stash - awesome!

They definitely aren't putting the effort into the market like others.  It has allowed lessor makers like Border to getting a lot of business.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GazzaS said:

They definitely aren't putting the effort into the market like others.  It has allowed lessor makers like Border to getting a lot of business.

and the likes of RFM for in some cases just over half the price, good score on the Dragon Gaz. So wish I had a club near me……..

• Like 3