Jump to content

Soo.... What did you just get???


Dave J
 Share

Recommended Posts

Service of the Westland Wessex HU.5 Serial wa156 Register XS482 used by Ministry of Defence (MoD) RAE ,Aeroplane & Armaments Experimental Establishment (A&AEE) ,Fleet Air Arm RN (Royal Navy). Built 1963.

XS482

united kingdom Fleet Air Arm

 

1964-01AEGDR700V Sq/D by Jan 1964 700 NAS whodata.jpg1964-05D-AAEGDR848Sq/D-A by May 1964 848 NAS whodata.jpg1967-11DAEGDR707Sq/D by Nov 1967 707 NAS whodata.jpgRN in 1996 seen Manston preserved /A-D.
2009 preserved museum Manston.whodata.jpgunited kingdom Ministry of Defence (MoD)

 

1968-10DBEGDMA&AEE D Flt/D as de-icing test airframe for RN 1968-1976 Aeroplane & Armaments Experimental Establishment whodata.jpg1978-01D-ACEGHFseconded to NATIU c Jan 1978 - Jun 1981 to support hovercraft trialswhodata.jpg1983D-Asupported Lynx deck landing trials with HMS Jupiter, off Portland Aeroplane & Armaments Experimental Establishment whodata.jpg1986-04DEGLFG I Airframe /D-A at RAE Farnborough Apprentice School by Apr 1986, still there Mar 1990. RAE whodata.jpg1998-06EEGMHExhibit To Defence Fire Services CTE Manston 24 Nov 1995
pres. RAF Manston History Museum by Jun 1998, still Mar 2002, still Jun 2004, still Apr 2006.whodata.jpg

The airframe saw the most action with the 848 Naval Air Squadron

It re-equipped with 18 Wessex HU.5 during May 1964 and relieved 845 Squadron at The Gaat with this more powerful version in Jun 1965. By Aug 1967 one of a very few Wasp HAS.1s joined the strength for liaison duties until Jul 1973. While sailing for the Far East embarked on HMS Albion, it took part in Operation Magister until 29 Nov 1967 off Aden. During Mar 1969 while at Sembawang, the squadron passed 8 of its Wessex to the reformed 847 NAS. Embarked 12 of its Wessex on HMS Albion in Mar 1971. In May 1971 it arrived in the Far East again (having disembarked from HMS Albion on 22 May for HMS Simbang), it re-absorbed 5 Wessex HU.5 from 847 NAS on its disbandment. While still embarked on HMS Albion, the unit was part of the contingency arrangements during the late 1971 Indo-Pakistan war, disembarking for Culdrose on its return on 20 Jan 1972. It moved its UK base from Culdrose to Yeovilton during Dec 1972. After further Far East, Mediterranean and West Indies missions, the unit disbanded at RNAS Yeovilton on 31 Mar 1976.  

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a shopping spree lately and the last order was the fastest to reach, no wonder as it was from Spain. Lots of RC colors for some projects, like the Kai Phantom, the Do-17 in Africa livery, pre war splinter for a Gaspatch Henschel and some 4BO for my AT-ST aaannnndddd a nice set of Kolinsky brushes. These are not the very best ones, but they are really good. I tested three different for some time and they are far ahead of the typical synthetic hair brushes, so a clear recommendation.
The flat brushes are for spreading oil colors and weathering and last but not least, I'm pretty happy, the Xtreme cleaner has safely reached my island. It's my favorite airbrush cleaner by far. It's aggressive, but since I use it, I normally half my cleaner amount per cleaning.

IMG_9440.thumb.JPG.92c3126058ded30db40da92c646358fe.JPG

On top of that, I bought a plaster cast Diorama base for a T-34 menacing through my old hometown of Berlin, like it happened in the last days of WWII in front of the house of my family.
There are the base and the facades included, along laser cut wooden door and windows and some signs and advertising.
My plaster parts were partly broken, but this will be no prob to fix with some white glue. RT supplies the exact same casts made with another more robust ceramic for a higher price, but I wanted to try the reasonable priced plaster version first, so I knew about the risk. The cast itself is highly detailed.

IMG_9442.thumb.JPG.1958919ae4e0019ac7d2508fe96b1212.JPG

Cheers Rob

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DocRob said:

I had a shopping spree lately and the last order was the fastest to reach, no wonder as it was from Spain. Lots of RC colors for some projects, like the Kai Phantom, the Do-17 in Africa livery, pre war splinter for a Gaspatch Henschel and some 4BO for my AT-ST aaannnndddd a nice set of Kolinsky brushes. These are not the very best ones, but they are really good. I tested three different for some time and they are far ahead of the typical synthetic hair brushes, so a clear recommendation.
The flat brushes are for spreading oil colors and weathering and last but not least, I'm pretty happy, the Xtreme cleaner has safely reached my island. It's my favorite airbrush cleaner by far. It's aggressive, but since I use it, I normally half my cleaner amount per cleaning.

IMG_9440.thumb.JPG.92c3126058ded30db40da92c646358fe.JPG

On top of that, I bought a plaster cast Diorama base for a T-34 menacing through my old hometown of Berlin, like it happened in the last days of WWII in front of the house of my family.
There are the base and the facades included, along laser cut wooden door and windows and some signs and advertising.
My plaster parts were partly broken, but this will be no prob to fix with some white glue. RT supplies the exact same casts made with another more robust ceramic for a higher price, but I wanted to try the reasonable priced plaster version first, so I knew about the risk. The cast itself is highly detailed.

IMG_9442.thumb.JPG.1958919ae4e0019ac7d2508fe96b1212.JPG

Cheers Rob

Nice! A lot of great stuff. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DocRob said:

I had a shopping spree lately and the last order was the fastest to reach, no wonder as it was from Spain. Lots of RC colors for some projects, like the Kai Phantom, the Do-17 in Africa livery, pre war splinter for a Gaspatch Henschel and some 4BO for my AT

Nice haul Rob, next weekend is Telford, that is my usual go to show to spend on. But with Covid and the last eighteen months on reduced salary I’m giving it a miss……

  • Sad 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Nice haul Rob, next weekend is Telford, that is my usual go to show to spend on. But with Covid and the last eighteen months on reduced salary I’m giving it a miss……

Give the show a miss or just the spending, Phil? I've never been to a modelling show, but really would like to visit one or more, even without my wallet.
Sad to hear, that you're affected in such a bad way by the whole C-mess, job related or other.

Cheers Rob

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rob, Not going to the show due concerns over safety, my wife is asthmatic so I have to protect her and not bring anything into the house. Also I reckon my stash is about right at 20, all I probably need are a few top up supplies. Most importantly I am my wife are still alive and kicking so that’s something to thankful for…..apparently one of the larger vendors are also passing on attending Telford this year…….

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My year end shopping spree ended (hopefully) with some nice kits and bits, which arrived today.

The Gaspatch 1/48 :icon_eek: Henschel teased me since a long time, but seeing some builds being started here recently, I could not wait any longer. I added the Kabuki pre war splinter masks and a Yahu IP.

IMG_9448.thumb.JPG.b28f058e9a76ac5983193cfc94d8284a.JPG

I also could not resist the fantastic looking Minerva armored car along a driver and some equipment bits. I fought between the Minerva and the even stranger looking Romfell car, but this might be done later in a fitting steam punk conversion.

IMG_9449.thumb.JPG.168a390f631112ed84ccb848af3577fa.JPG

Last but not least, there was a big sale of Corsar Rex figures, which are made from very well casted resin. All are Russian, but will be used in four different settings, one of them in 48 scale with the upper right sets. These all were so cheap, I couldn't pass.

IMG_9447.thumb.JPG.8d67eb9002e6834cb078d3dc2bd427f8.JPG

Cheers Rob

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/5/2021 at 10:59 AM, DocRob said:

I had a shopping spree lately and the last order was the fastest to reach, no wonder as it was from Spain. Lots of RC colors for some projects, like the Kai Phantom, the Do-17 in Africa livery, pre war splinter for a Gaspatch Henschel and some 4BO for my AT-ST aaannnndddd a nice set of Kolinsky brushes. These are not the very best ones, but they are really good. I tested three different for some time and they are far ahead of the typical synthetic hair brushes, so a clear recommendation.
The flat brushes are for spreading oil colors and weathering and last but not least, I'm pretty happy, the Xtreme cleaner has safely reached my island. It's my favorite airbrush cleaner by far. It's aggressive, but since I use it, I normally half my cleaner amount per cleaning.

IMG_9440.thumb.JPG.92c3126058ded30db40da92c646358fe.JPG

On top of that, I bought a plaster cast Diorama base for a T-34 menacing through my old hometown of Berlin, like it happened in the last days of WWII in front of the house of my family.
There are the base and the facades included, along laser cut wooden door and windows and some signs and advertising.
My plaster parts were partly broken, but this will be no prob to fix with some white glue. RT supplies the exact same casts made with another more robust ceramic for a higher price, but I wanted to try the reasonable priced plaster version first, so I knew about the risk. The cast itself is highly detailed.

IMG_9442.thumb.JPG.1958919ae4e0019ac7d2508fe96b1212.JPG

Cheers Rob

Rob

Thank goodness for credit cards and some awesome buys for sure.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/7/2021 at 6:42 PM, Bomber_County said:

Rob, Not going to the show due concerns over safety, my wife is asthmatic so I have to protect her and not bring anything into the house. Also I reckon my stash is about right at 20, all I probably need are a few top up supplies. Most importantly I am my wife are still alive and kicking so that’s something to thankful for…..apparently one of the larger vendors are also passing on attending Telford this year…….

Phil

No question - you made the right choice - it's hard to stay home but protecting your wife, the family and yourself is the most important.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, DocRob said:

My year end shopping spree ended (hopefully) with some nice kits and bits, which arrived today.

The Gaspatch 1/48 :icon_eek: Henschel teased me since a long time, but seeing some builds being started here recently, I could not wait any longer. I added the Kabuki pre war splinter masks and a Yahu IP.

IMG_9448.thumb.JPG.b28f058e9a76ac5983193cfc94d8284a.JPG

I also could not resist the fantastic looking Minerva armored car along a driver and some equipment bits. I fought between the Minerva and the even stranger looking Romfell car, but this might be done later in a fitting steam punk conversion.

IMG_9449.thumb.JPG.168a390f631112ed84ccb848af3577fa.JPG

Last but not least, there was a big sale of Corsar Rex figures, which are made from very well casted resin. All are Russian, but will be used in four different settings, one of them in 48 scale with the upper right sets. These all were so cheap, I couldn't pass.

IMG_9447.thumb.JPG.8d67eb9002e6834cb078d3dc2bd427f8.JPG

Cheers Rob

Rob

Way to go, your stash is looking mighty good with all these new additions.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My most recent acquisition.  Made the mistake of telling a friend it was one of the last few on my must-have list.  So, he showed up at our club meet with one the following month.  I got it for an I-O-U of half it's current retail value.

44461436750_564a3bb88a_k.thumb.jpg.0d752b0b1fdc20a629a5aa32ef7de52c.jpg

I'll have to put Zimmerit on it...   but that's a piece of cake.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, GazzaS said:

My most recent acquisition.  Made the mistake of telling a friend it was one of the last few on my must-have list.  So, he showed up at our club meet with one the following month.  I got it for an I-O-U of half it's current retail value.

44461436750_564a3bb88a_k.thumb.jpg.0d752b0b1fdc20a629a5aa32ef7de52c.jpg

I'll have to put Zimmerit on it...   but that's a piece of cake.

Gaz

now that’s. Great story - enjoy the Wirbelwind

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

This came today; an Iwata universal dual airbrush holder. I works with

all my airbrushes except my Paasche model H airbrushes, so not entirely universal but

still very nice. 

 

 

DSCN0176_kindlephoto-21503657.jpg

AH400-A1.jpg

DSCN0184.JPG

Very handy indeed. I have two AB holders  - not sure whose I bought (it’s been that long) and they work very well. Enjoy

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...