The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya F-4J Phantom VMFA-451 "Warlords" WIP

Guest DannyVM

Guest DannyVM

Did some extra detail work today regarding the F-4J Phantom. Front office has got some extra scratch details, maybe not rivet counted accurate but it will give for sure a nice impression of a busy cockpit.

5W071cJh.jpg

ENx7TH1h.jpg

zirjN3Fh.jpg

g8OIRLph.jpg

Greetz

Danny

• 10 months later...
Guest DannyVM

Time to get this topic back from the dead.

At the moment, the cockpit is finished, this is how things look at the moment.

wHcQp9Tl.jpg

fSdCdnCl.jpg

AbYkfbcl.jpg

f3DmBxPl.jpg

Also i did some work on the engine exhausts. I decided to use the kit part's together with some Eduard pe. The GT-resin exhausts set went straight to the garbage bin, this is just useless stuff.

Left, the standard kit exhaust, at right after it's bin tackled with some Eduard pe.

BEcRagel.jpg

mDI0pv1l.jpg

PwQR4oOl.jpg

Difference between a GT-resin exhaust and the modified kit part. To be honest, the kit part's look superior compared to the GT ones

sqvy4jJl.jpg

That's all for now.

Greetz

Danny

I got really confused until I saw the dates, this F4 is a fairly old mould now, how does the compare with the newer Tamiya creations. As I have said before, haven’t done a jet for 45 years. Do fancy a either F4 or F14 but I think doing either in 32nd would be a timescale to far........any news on the Tirpitz?

stunning build quality as ever Danny......

• Like 2

Guest DannyVM

Great work on the workplaces, Danny. Are the PE'ed cones the GT ones? The PE is looking good, but the outside seems not to well detailed.

Cheers Rob 

Thank's Rob:)......no the ones with the pe are the kit part's, the GT-resin ones where thrown into the garbage can.:censored:

16 hours ago, harv said:

Very nice work my fried! I need to get back to my Gun Fighters. F4D........Harv

Thank's mate:) and yes you sure do, i really want to see this bird finished.

46 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

I got really confused until I saw the dates, this F4 is a fairly old mould now, how does the compare with the newer Tamiya creations. As I have said before, haven’t done a jet for 45 years. Do fancy a either F4 or F14 but I think doing either in 32nd would be a timescale to far........any news on the Tirpitz?

stunning build quality as ever Danny......

Indeed it is Phil, 1995 to be exactly. If you want it compared with newer Tamiya kit's, you have to compare it with the W.W.2 kit's, and then you see clearly the difference. Still if you compare them regarding fit it stay's the same, only time tells that moulding techniques are much modern now.

Tirpitz is a "in between" project Phil. The main goal is still making 1/32 airplane models, but i have to admit, these sort of ship's keep me intrigued.

Thank's mate.:)

Danny

Super work on tackling the Big F4J. I fullappreciate you sharing the problems with all the AM, as I will be building the kit this year as well and have all the same AM plus throw in the Aires cockpit set and Quickboost seats. My vote is for the Aires seats and cockpit. Your c front office looks great and the burner cans: BRILLIANT.

Keep 'em comin

Peter ;)

• Like 2

Guest DannyVM
On 8/31/2018 at 12:16 AM, Peterpools said:

Danny

Super work on tackling the Big F4J. I fullappreciate you sharing the problems with all the AM, as I will be building the kit this year as well and have all the same AM plus throw in the Aires cockpit set and Quickboost seats. My vote is for the Aires seats and cockpit. Your c front office looks great and the burner cans: BRILLIANT.

Keep 'em comin

Peter ;)

Thank's Peter.:thumbsup2: At the moment progress is running slow due to some lack of the much needed MRP colors. Instead of ordering them from MRP directly i'm gonna wait until next week to purchase them at a annual model convention in my neighborhood.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DannyVM
On 9/1/2018 at 6:18 PM, Peterpools said:

Danny

Got ya.. I'm now making it a point to have whatever Mr Color and MRP paints I need for a build project on hand before starting as it's not that easy to find in the states

Peter

Came back today without MRP paints from the modeling convention. So time to make a list and order them from MRP directly. Lucky it's easy to get them over here in Europe.

15 hours ago, JohnB said:

This is coming along nicely. Looking real good! :)

Thank's John :thumbsup2: It's a on & off project due to other obligations :popo: but everytime i take some time to work on the kit, i'm hooked more and more. Those Marines and Navy bird's are really interesting jet's, so this one will not be the only one.

14 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Clean and precise work on the exhaust! Nice addition to the pit as well, I like it a lot.

Cheers

Martin

Thank's Martin :thumbsup2: The exhausts are all ready painted and wheatered, i will try to make some photo's today for posting over here.

5 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Oh my....   beautiful job so far, Danny. If the aircraft is half as nice as the cockpit and cans, it’ll be a real stunner

Thank's Ernie :thumbsup2: I'll do my best mate, still i have some bomb's to tackle, and from the moment i have the paint i will start on the TER's and MER's.

Greetz

Danny

• 1 year later...
Guest DannyVM

Hi guy's,

last post in this topic bin already some time ago.....September 10 2018 to be exactly. Oh boy time flies......:piliot:

Thing's have changed a little in this period. Other work, better payed but less free time, i guess we have to put water in our wine when it comes to divide hobby and private life. Also my interests are a little bit changed, due to the fact i still need more room to display my models. 1/32 scale was no option any longer so i decided to change my scale back to 1/48 which gave me the opportunity to have enough room again to display some models. So to make a long story short, some 1/32 kit's where sold, others still sit's firmly into the stash and some started kit's are still in progress mode. One of them is the Tamiya F-4J Phantom which i recently sold to a good friend of mine but need to be finished.

This topic ended with the progress on the two burner can's which i detailed with some Eduard pe. At the moment these part's are painted just like the exhausts.

6YGQmxvl.jpg

wM3AdVAl.jpg

KWHbrCll.jpg

eSemZnNl.jpg

CWYICpxl.jpg

This Tamiya kit looked very promising. Still it has it's age, but the detail is fairly nice. With the Eduard pe thing's changed a little bit but still some scratch detail needed to be added to bring things alive.

One of these part's where the landing gear leg's

TYmRp5bl.jpg

WXkPJvHl.jpg

aKToy3Al.jpg

ouj58gjl.jpg

ynPXbOVl.jpg

FcMoTeNl.jpg

The frontal landing gear leg.

O3RCT8Il.jpg

no6VylNl.jpg

This kit rocks, but on the other hand, things changed when i started to dry-fit the titanium blast shield shingles onto the fuselage. The one piece horizontal stabilizer needed first to be installed before the titanium shield part could be glued onto the fuselage, not a good idea if you ask me. Also the exhaust needed to be attached into the fuselage and when i dry-fitted all part's together thing's started to get very bad. In a strange way, the horizontal stabelizer didn't fit very good into the fuselage and the titanium shield plating. Also the exhaust didn't sit perfect into the fuselage and the titanium shield part gave a horrible fit. So............

FmW2qNQl.jpg

6PuQIgZl.jpg

6Af1Niil.jpg

Once the titanium shield plating was glued onto the fuselage, i started to fill the gap's and the inn-accuracy's.

G3vzMpTl.jpg

bbDH3hPl.jpg

pViHg4Il.jpg

UERcIZil.jpg

LWbpIlFl.jpg

q7xP6UWl.jpg

q7CR0jCl.jpg

Gipn46Il.jpg

C8rg36cl.jpg

twIwVwjl.jpg

UIaRMYUl.jpg

F83WZJ1l.jpg

one of the question my friend asked was to build the model with folded wings. Tamiya don't give the possibility to choose between options regarding the wing fold, so i need to find a solution to get the job done.

h6DqBVYl.jpg

LFjlaoql.jpg

My question to you guy's is, if somebody knows a how-to or a WIP where i can look for some tip's regarding this problem.

fvlwDOil.jpg

The one piece horizontal stabilizer was cutted into two pieces. That way i could easily attach the separate part's perfectly onto the fuselage.

0ZullcQl.jpg

BZ6TFYol.jpg

YNpCqPkl.jpg

Ok guy's, i'm back on track with this big guy. This is how thing's look right now. I have no dead-line but still i want this to be finished by the end of February. I know, we all have or own little dream's.......;-) 

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM
6 hours ago, Sir Desmond Glazebrook said:

Wow. 1/32 F-4 is a big model. Just yesterday I finished Ed Cobleigh's book, War for the Hell of it, about flying the Phantom in Vietnam. My mind is very occupied with Phantoms. Those burners are fantastic. :thumbsup2:

Indeed it is. To big for my humble display case:(

I,ve got a few in 1/48 scale so i have enough Phantom's for the future.

Really nice Phantom Danny. For the rear exhaust area, I did one leaving everything as from the kit and the second, I cut apart the stabilizers like you have. 

This is my F+4E where I cut them apart:

20171216_213720-L.jpg

And here's my F-4D where I installed them as is. 

IMG_20150325_220209-L.jpg

I do recall on the D the fit was much better. 

As for the GT burner cans, their quality is really hit or miss. Some stuff is quite nice and others are disappointing.

Carl

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest DannyVM
1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Really nice Phantom Danny. For the rear exhaust area, I did one leaving everything as from the kit and the second, I cut apart the stabilizers like you have. 

This is my F+4E where I cut them apart:

20171216_213720-L.jpg

And here's my F-4D where I installed them as is. 

IMG_20150325_220209-L.jpg

I do recall on the D the fit was much better. 

As for the GT burner cans, their quality is really hit or miss. Some stuff is quite nice and others are disappointing.

Carl

Very nice work Carl. I love the finished titanium plating on your model. At a first look the one piece horizontal stabilizer look's spot on, but it's a pain to install the titanium panels part without any sanding. The damn thing just sit's firmly in the way. Separate them is a good thing and you have enough room to glue the two separate horizontal stabilizers in a proper way onto the fuselage.