The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

13 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Ernie

Hope you have a good respirator or will be doing the major sanding and clean up outside. On all my resin projects or AM sets, that's what I've gone with. Should have been doing this years ago.

Peter

Yep... safety protocols Buddy!

Mask, gloves, and always sand / file / cut under water in an old icecream tub or takeaway container. I made this promise to my Oncologist before she'd let me back into the hobby. Resin is super toxic and carcinogenic. 

And none of those hokey paper masks either... go for a proper one with filters.

20180816_182401.jpg

• Like 5

• Administrators

Ok guys. A bit of an update for y’all.  One thing on resin kits is that before we can even “build” the model, we need to get the airframe to fit properly.

so we sand and fit, scrape, file, sand, and fit some more.  Don’t worry about going too far, we can fill small gaps with styrene. But we need it close.

Here’s where I’m at right now. The wing bottom needs plenty of major material removed. It’s a byproduct of resin casting before all the high tech fancy equipment they use today.

So let’s sand...

150BE83A-2974-4C98-BD04-E0D5196CB521-XL.62557B1A-1083-4F2F-953D-BA9631D2CA45-XL.

• Like 4

• Administrators

It doesn’t look like much right now, but Jerry Rutman’s P-51B kit gives you a dead on the nuts accurate P-51B shape. If you sand it and fit it carefully, you can build a perfect shelf model. How far you take it from there is totally up to you. I intend to go as far as my ability allows. This P-51B will be good, assuming I don’t bork up the castings, which are made of unobtainium.

• Like 3

• Administrators

Martin, 

that doesn’t look hideous, oh yee of cut and paste technology.

MuG-9 is saying finish me please.  Right now it’s only a MuG-7 3/4

Anyone who doesn’t know Martin, know this:  He’s the crazy Slovak kit-stitcher. He can kitbash a 1/32 Tamiya F-16 into a Cessna 310.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Thanks Phil. Yeah, there’s plenty of oh so cool P-51B schemes out there, but with the big show in Chattanooga next year, and with the Tuskegee group possibly sending a delegation, I think it’s only fitting. Plus, like all WW2 vets, we’re rapidly losing them all to time. 

Thanks for the pic. Just as Martin does, it’s true inspiration. 

• Like 2

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Peterpools said:

ERnie

Looking mighty good ... nothing like a P-51 basking in the sun to get the old heart pumping.

Keep 'em comin

Peter ;)

Thanks, Peter,

but judging by everyone else’s way forward to a B/C, I might have the easiest way forward here.

• Like 2