Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

I must be crazy, B-24J on the bench.

5 hours ago, nmayhew said:

wow!

that's a completely new line of business for them

you're not pulling my leg are you?

I certain nay hope not! This info came from a source in the industry, which, I hope is accurate. I also have spoke to someone who has made resin correction parts for other kits, he is willing to make some also, but needs some turrets to go off of.

• Like 1

Looking at the kit pics in this thread again, it seems an even bigger issue than the airfoil profile itself is the wrong incidence (which was 3.26 ° on the B-24). 

This could be corrected by altering the shape of the fuselage slot in which the wing box slides in. It remains to be decided, however, where to position the axis for this slot rotation. It seems to me that the trailing edge is too high compared to where it should be, but it is also very possible that the leading edge is too low as well. Rotating the slot cut with an axis at about 30% chord could do the trick IMHO, but this is just « Hubert’s eyeball Mk 1 guesstimate » without even having the kit in hand.

If you modify this angle, do keep in mind that this will likely alter the angle of the MLG in relation to the wing, and, more importantly, a cut would be required to bring the engine nacelles back in line with the airflow, and not pointing upwards. But this would correct a key issue of the kit without major surgery on the wing itself (which would however still miss its characteristic « bump » at 30 % of the chord).

Hubert

• Administrators

Well, in the interest of advancing all possibilities in fixes here, Iain is trying a rather promising looking radical surgery over on TOS that looks somewhat major but looks like it might just work.  

He overlayed the two aerofoils on top of each other using a computer plotter, then determined through a complicated series of grids, graphs, vectors, and calculations, that if he bends the aerofoil down at about the 1/3 chord and flattens the bottom the corresponding amount, he will get the Davis profile, or close enough to it. Then, he bends the trailing edge down a few degrees without moving the leading edge and that gives him the Davis profile and the proper angle of incidence on the wing which  eliminates the "trailing edge is too high" complaint and "wing is too flat" complaints all in one swoop.

It sounds complicated, and yes, any of you who are my age or older probably recognized the Rube Goldberg inflections in my decriptions, :)   but in all seriousness, the guy's a bleedin' wizard with plastic and I'm looking forward to see what happens. 

• Like 5

Guys, I always seem to take the same stand on all kits; just glad to have them and  when time allows; to build them. Back in the day, when I was young ( nope I didn't go to school with George Washington, but Abe .. maybe) we fell off our chairs when Monogram brought out the WWII  heavies in 48th scale and Shep Paine graced us with his superb dioramas. Who could have ever imagined the heavies of WWII being available in32nd scale; not I for sure. As always buy what you like and enjoy building the kit as you want. Just enjoy the road you take on each journey.

Peter ;)

• Like 6

A few nights of work, I have managed to assemble most of the interior floor and bulkheads. I wanted to make sure it all fit inside, it did take quite a bit of sanding, but I expected as much, with so many interlocking pieces. After assembling and closing it up, it was apparent that there were some areas that needed a little sprucing up, I added some various stringers, some real, some guessed at. The panel behind the pilots seats had some serious ejector pin marks, so I decided just to hide it with strip styrene, I still have to add some ribs between the panels. 

The biggest issue was nose weight. 300g recommended! That’s 3/4 of a pound...12oz! So I dug out a roll of lure weight that’s about 3/16 size, I chopped up a whole bunch and fit it under the floorboards, 154g. Crap, there is almost nowhere to hide this stuff, so I determined that the area in front of the panel is not able to be seem from the canopy, then I made a false panel from the nose section, which really cannot be seen through any of the small windows, so I was able to cram another 160g, which made 314g, so hopefully this will work.

222EC858-BABE-4650-A179-9BCFB53FB6A4.jpeg

3746C898-A678-4E2E-A9F0-A91654ACC6FD.jpeg

BDFB9581-7C9B-4E28-BB51-E60846C575BB.jpeg

DA09ABE0-D39C-4BEB-BB21-D970AC62EECE.jpeg

A8A16160-1FD5-4BA0-AC46-D481B7107A2C.jpeg

8FCF1705-24FB-4289-AD66-BC4DA83F892D.jpeg

A4F6BF06-F34F-4C6D-A173-4A78A0E18DD4.jpeg

21EE3F47-1D49-4371-83AA-A68FE0AE3609.jpeg

46EA3391-884B-46D1-B1AC-0FD950409FA6.jpeg

0AF9E58E-3804-4DF9-98D3-01FD5FD43817.jpeg

266D3402-4847-4E3B-95F6-614B54F2CC71.jpeg

BD4B3C77-ADE4-4895-B5AD-F4D987D2A334.jpeg

26F6A01F-7BD1-439F-9AA4-72EBB2D33936.jpeg

EB2A8F7D-D922-40F4-BD9A-5DCF1C548757.jpeg

C62D790D-9C47-44FE-ADE3-371E1A0A15FE.jpeg

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

Love the added strip detail!   I also think the insides look pretty good. 

Where did you find lead rod?  I always seem to have to go to a bait and tackle store to find lead.

Gaz

This is what I use, lead wire.

https://www.amazon.com/Bullet-Weights-1-Pound-Fishing-8-Inch/dp/B00CMR7EX0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1546033440&sr=8-7&keywords=Lead+wire

• Like 4

The struts that come with the Lib are actually really, really strong. I am guessing it’s some kind of strong ABS plastic, which has a styrene shell you glue on. But I agree, it will be a test of strength, 3/4 of a pound of lead is hefty.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Looks good so far. For the nose weight, what about the space behind the nose gear bay and forward of the bomb bay? Is that space visible from either side of it?

Carl

Sort of, the 3/16 lead I used is taller than the lip, so it’s possible it can be seen. The area below that floor could possibly hold about 50g, and perhaps if I use d smaller 1/8 lead, I might have been able to get about 200-250g in there. What is nice about packing the lead in the floor of the cockpit, it’s actually a really strong boxed structure. I am checking to see if there is another way of packing more in there.

• Like 2

Filling and guessing about lead is stressful.  Last nose-sitter I did was an HE-219.  I was sticking lead everywhere forward of the MLG axis that I could.  I hate to imagine how heavy that beast will be when you're done.

Gaz

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

That nose gear strut is gonna be hating life in a bit....

Just a (friendly) basic physics reminder that the brunt of the weight will be taken and withstood by the main landing gear ... The nose gear will only take a small portion of the total weight, just the extra required to tip the balance the kit « nose heavy » ...

Hubert

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Filling and guessing about lead is stressful.  Last nose-sitter I did was an HE-219.  I was sticking lead everywhere forward of the MLG axis that I could.  I hate to imagine how heavy that beast will be when you're done.

Gaz

Tell me about it mate I have weight everywhere on that kit 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

The struts that come with the Lib are actually really, really strong. I am guessing it’s some kind of strong ABS plastic, which has a styrene shell you glue on. But I agree, it will be a test of strength, 3/4 of a pound of lead is hefty.

yes that is exactly what i noticed - the struts have a different 'look' about them - almost pearl-like / swirly when viewed close up; definitely different stuff to the rest of the kit parts.

if it is 'ABS', what sort of glue will work?

• Like 2