Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

What is on your bench right now ? Share a picture :)

Martinnfb

1 hour ago, ScottsGT said:

Another “proverbial bench” project….  Or how I spent my day yesterday and later today. 
Duke Energy has lowered our lake about 4’ under normal, so getting down to our floating dock is kind of dangerous trying to balance on an 8’ A frame ladder while stepping on a dock that moves under your weight.  So for this summers activities, the wife had tasked me to build a set of stairs so the grand kids can safely access the lower dock.  
Now I just have to figure out how to get these heavy things down to the lower dock.  Going to take 4 or 5 people to lower  them into place.

27A8B2D0-1E43-41DF-962C-91F070B75FC5.thumb.jpeg.2b26ab8d4c9015e039d72909eaf9858f.jpeg

steps have not been attached yet, probably saves 60-70 lbs, but I have to finish the hand rails today.

Funny thing is, I paid a guy $1600 + materials last weekend to replace the front steps on my house.   After this set of tiny stairs, that was money well spent. 

I feel all Led Zep just looking at them . You've made a nice job of it .  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Not so much "on the bench"..... but the bench itself . I'm moving in a couple of months so I am thinking of a better set up than the one of the past few years , and have been buying new stuff & changing things around. This is bench 2.2 ... cheap IKEA stuff. Whole desk cost $150 so if it gets trashed I'm not too bothered just go buy it again, which is what I have just done .  I use cutting mats to protect the surface, and have custom fitted some laser trays for Tamiya and Vallejo paints  . Space for my laptop, (either work or play as this also doubles as my work desk . Bought a second white chest of drawers to replace the ones that were there before , they are quite shallow but better suit my modelling stuff. Also splashed out on an overheard 27W light , saves desk real estate and is brighter and easier to swing around than the anglepoise. Army Painter wet pallet and cheapo cake turntable are standard kit , plus my 4x specs ....if it looks ok at 4x mag it will be fine in 1:1 and should be good for photos. Stash and specific tools and materials such as terrain making things are kept elsewhere in the house outta sight , as I only like to have what I use daily to hand . Less spaces seems to increase my productivity as I don't have to move much to get what I need   -  and as it doubles up for working from home it tends to get tidied up a lot.

Glass of wine ..... hell it's Saturday night fellas ! 

IMG-1312.jpg

IMG-1313.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 4/8/2023 at 8:53 PM, KevinM said:

The only enhancements was to the engines with cables.;)

F7-7 Tiger 001.JPG

F7-7 Tiger 002.JPG

Kev

Looking mighty good and glad you're tackling the Italeri kit; the only real game in town.

I've always been a big fan of the Tigercat (grew up halfway between Grumman and Republic in the 50's & 60's) and was so excited when HPH announced their Tigercat. But after Brian started his on LSP which seems like decades ago, I decided not to purchase the kit as it was way over my head and nowhere close to being the type of kit I wanted to tackle. Still hoping someday, someone will issue one in 32nd scale that doesn't require the massive work Brian had to do on his. Since I've left LSP many, many years ago, I have no idea if Brian actually finished his.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, GusMac said:

Do love the effect you get with Friuls (or similar) but you're right, it is bloody tedious getting them prepared

Yup , drilling out two holes in 220 links for starters ...then ruining the tips of your finger threading it all together ...fighting the brass wire .. but when they are done and burnished its still 120% better than gluing track horns onto individual links .  The mass and droop is nice too .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I should finish this one this week the paint job if grading myself would be an 80 pebbly here and there :dontknow: I should of used white primer not grey while it felt smooth I wonder it it contributed to the grain like texture in those two spots.I like it still and will be a colorful addition to the cabinet.;)

F7-7 Tiger 001.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Been waiting for some Mosquito parts, so here’s a little squirrel 🐿️ 

Preshading on the bottom and testing Tamiya synthetics on the top 

88DAB79A-99B5-4C18-9804-CDA7EF591F1D.jpeg

B6D32507-F4AA-498E-BC95-8103AB142D1F.jpeg

Maybe it’s the white balance of your camera, but the « Sky » bottom of your Spitfire looks greener than I thought. Unless it’s not « Sky »

Hubert

• Like 4

Of course. As I said , that is the AK lacquer pre-shading base, there will be a coat of enamel in a lighter shade going over it,,, having said that, I have to admit that I am not entirely happy with the poopy brown either. This is my first RAF aeroplane in many years, decades, eons,  so I am trying to figure things out as I go.

• Like 4

Well guys got the props painted and all the decals laid just need to do the top coat that will be in a couple days.I had a severe case worse I have ever had of food poisoning all today last time was 44 years ago.I can count on one hand the number of times I have thrown up in my life from illness I could not stop but starting to bounce back.Here's to tomorrow a better frigg'in day:hsmack:

• Sad 8

13 hours ago, KevinM said:

Well guys got the props painted and all the decals laid just need to do the top coat that will be in a couple days.I had a severe case worse I have ever had of food poisoning all today last time was 44 years ago.I can count on one hand the number of times I have thrown up in my life from illness I could not stop but starting to bounce back.Here's to tomorrow a better frigg'in day:hsmack:

Kev

Hoping you are feeling better and in a day or so, will be back to your old self.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

Whats your minimum rpm on that thing? 

Ze hand tool  60/E is 5- 20,000 . however I also have the power adjustable supply NG/2E so it can turn down further .

I rarely run it over 7000 rpms

Proxxon is quality German made tooling IMHO , my chum the gunsmith got 15 years out of his multitool before it finally gave up the ghost . 

@BlrwestSiR Your cat is lovely , I've so missed our furry friends in the past 10 years.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Whats your minimum rpm on that thing?

I have the same Proxxon tool, but don't use it too often. For me even the lowest speed setting is too fast, mostly. I used it for the portholes of the USS Arizona, where it was perfect, given the thick plastic and used the mini circular saw blade for superstructure surgery. Most times though, I prefer to work hand tools, as they are more controllable.

Recently, I ordered the tiny DSPIA USB drill 7 sander, but it hasn't arrived yet. I have high hopes for a bit more versatility.

ES-P Portable Electric Sharpening Pen_DSPIAE

Cheers Rob

• Like 2