The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Hataka Lacquer paints - OMG!

Peterpools

I love shooting lacquer based model paints. I started with MRP and we all know how great they shoot. Trying to actually buy them here in the states has been a frustrating affair, as most of the colors I need seem to be always out of stock when ordering. I switched to Mr Color and while it does not have all the colors as in the MRP range, the paints are available from a number of vendors. I used the paints for a good year, love the way they shoot and the finish is like steel. What I don't like about Mr Color is the paint is as thick as mud, requires and ton of thinning and cleaning out the glass eye dropper(s) after a painting session (I count drops all the time for thinning and mixes) is a messy and laborious proposition. The other negative of Mr Color: geez, the smell would knock out a moose! Yes, I use a paint booth and wear a respirator but the smell still lingers.

I found Hataka lacquer and acrylic paints. The color range is extensive, sold in sets and individual squeeze bottle; pretty much like Model Air, Mig and AK. The paints are made in Poland and are available from a number of on line retailers: Sprue Brothers (lacquers only) and Mega Hobbies (carrying almost the complete range in both lacquer and acrylics). I finally had a chance to test out the lacquer paints today and OMG, the results are fantastic.

I thin as normal: 1:1 drops of paint to lacquer thinner and  to the final mix: add a few drops of a mild retarder.

I always shoot at very low working air pressures 10-15psi and shot the Hataka test at 12 psi right over non primed plastic. The results: smooth as silk and no signs of the paint attacking the plastic. Clean up was a snap: run some lacquer thinner through the H&S AB and done. No mess, no fuss and one happy camper. Yup, my new paint for sure, will be using up my older paint supplies and for the most part not replacing them. I'm switching over 100%

Guess you can tell, I really love the paints.

Peter

• Like 8

How do the lacquer smell Peter? That's always my (or my wife's) issue with lacquers and Mr Color got vetoed a while back.

I'm hoping once our younger one goes to Uni in September I can 'convert' his bedroom and get some peace

• Like 3

I was really amazed how little the Hataka lacquers smell. Compared to Mr Color ... night and day. And compared to MRP, a lot less order.

order wise, it actually has a much sweeter smell then it's other two lacquer competitors. I'll need to really spend a full painting session with Hataka but right now I would say even Testors enamels have a stronger smell.

Peter

• Like 5

Thanks for the reply Peter. I pondered them for my Greek A-7 as they do make dedicated Hellenic sets but I bottled it and stuck with the Ammo acrylics I've used for the last few builds. Might give them a try for the next project.

• Like 4

On 2/16/2019 at 7:53 AM, GusMac said:

How do the lacquer smell Peter? That's always my (or my wife's) issue with lacquers and Mr Color got vetoed a while back.

I'm hoping once our younger one goes to Uni in September I can 'convert' his bedroom and get some peace

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but always remember people... The Human body is basically a sponge. Whatever particulate matter you're working with; if you can smell it, you're ingesting it.

• Like 3

Hey Wumm, thanks for the concern. I have a respirator and paint booth, so I'm mitigating as much as I can. It's the residual odour my wife objects to.

I also run to work everyday through town so I get regular pulmonary function checks which are always well above my age predicted normal, so all seems to be well.

• Like 3

Thanks for the info Peter, I have been looking for a replacement for my rapidly diminishing supply of extinct Model Master paints and these sound like they might do the trick. I have  Sprue Brothers order building so I'll add a couple of the sets to the list and give them a try. I too was considering the MRP paint but have been put off by its lack of general availability.

• Like 2

To be honest, as times go by, I worry more and more about the harmful effects of the paints we use. I shoot in a spray booth with dual fans, wear a good grade respirator at least when I paint.  Acrylics and enamels have their own negatives as well. But I’m willing to bet, breath for breath, the glues we use are as bad or worse then the paints:stirthepot:

I never wear a mask or respirator when gluing and I’m bent over the model for hours at a time. Maybe there is a lot more we need to consider and even worry about.

Peter

• Like 2

Hi Peter,

Have you tried smelling Tamiya quick setting, that would kill a cactus.

I find the EMA Plastic weld to be the least "smelly". As you say, if I spend a while at the bench my eyes get sore, especially with that QS stuff. 

May I ask, what thinner are you using with your new found golden paint?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Paint odor is always a concern. My wife let’s me know when she smells anything. 

I use a respirator as well, but honestly, if I knew I was going to live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself. :/

• Like 4

There is an Individual on another site who once made mention that he should get a proper spray booth with a filter as he was airbrushing inside the house. It later transpired that his Wife developed Breast Cancer.

I have no idea of her medical history, or whether his Hobby contributed to her condition. But it's not only lung function and our own health that we need to worry about. If you or your loved ones are pre-disposed to Cancer or other conditions in other areas of the body, the accumulated effect of breathing or ingesting Hydrocarbons may take years to manifest itself, often discoved too late to guarantee a successful outcome.

S

• Like 1

I have not tried mine yet but I did note a couple things, in one of my sets one bottle had a loose lid and it had leaked enough to adhere the bottle to the packaging. Might not hurt to make sure they are all tight when you receive them. One thing I miss about glass bottles is that it is not easy to tell how well mixed the paint is. I dispensed some into a glass jar to thin it and thought for a bit the tip was clogged. If you turn the bottle fully upside down the ball inside will find it's way into the tip and block paint flow. One thing I'm curious about from those of you who have been using dropper bottles for a while, how do you return unused paint back to the container ? I assume for brush painting (yes I know it's supposed to be for airbrush use but I almost always need to do some touch up) do you dispense it into something then return the excess to the bottle ?

OK, the mark one eyeballs are even worse than I thought, I now see the dropper part is removable and that solves my question from above. I sprayed my first color last night and was suitably impressed, now I need to order more. My first order had containers with two different style tops, one black and one orange. I assume the orange is newer. The seal better with the orange ones in that they don't slip past tight when you torque them down. The one that leaked was a black one. The only thing I don't like about the orange top bottles is that they are about 1/8" too tall to sit on my paint shelf. The black one do fit, just barely. Just nit picks, if they all spray like the one I used last night these will be my new go to for paints !

Edited by Old Dog
Additional info added

• Administrators

There was a guy on the other site that had bought a high end laboratory HazMat HEPA vent booth. Usually used to keep hazmat and bacteria out of the air, he bought one for use as a hobby paint booth.

Does anyone remember that thread? The booth was super spendy, as in $3500.00, but I’m curious how it worked out. The cool thing with that one was it didn’t need to be vented outside.

Don't know Ernie, probably searchable if one could be bothered.

It sounds like a good option. This Tuesday just past I underwent a procedure to check that my Cancer hadn't returned, which coincidentally costs round-about $3500 Au. And I've had a dozen of them since 2013, plus two more invasive operations before that.

IMG_20190306_192333.thumb.jpg.adcd98285012bac8322bbdddfb1e71bb.jpg

So a one-off outlay of $3500 US sounds cheap for the peace of mind it provides.

S