The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

RCAF Lanc 10MP. This really is a group effort

• Administrators

OK, me no likee the front turret, y’all.  The front turret of 104 shows NO framing except for the blanked off gun runs. So, do I do it quick, or do it right?

Do it right, of course!  So I call my magic genie in two tins, Swami Apoxie, and he agrees to help.  So, tonight we slather on the clay.  Tomorrow, we sand!!!

I love Apoxie Sculpt. It shapes easily with water, and sands very easily   Like resin, actually. I’ll need to use some putty on missed areas, but the nose turret needs to be faired in to the fuselage.  Gonna be great, I promise  

8379400E-E870-4BFC-B810-1CC9204D4A04.jpeg

034E2B5B-B425-43F1-A391-FBBE4A1A460B.jpeg

DFD2E151-CB06-4A88-9ECE-A50363D914C5.jpeg

• Like 8

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, seiran01 said:

Happy to try in cad, too :-)

Thanks, Mike! Actually I got up early and gave it a preliminary cut with wet paper, and it’s gonna look great.  The front just looked all wrong, and there is no time like the present.

• Like 3

• Administrators

Ok,

I've received quite a bit of feedback on this little episode, so let's talk about it. :)

1. Quite simply put, I completely missed the extremely obvious front turret treatment on this aircraft. Every single one of these postwar Lancs had it's own individual front turret treatment, and this one was sheeted over and painted.  As it's a very obvious feature on the aircraft, it needs to be right, even if it is a seriously ugly feature. 

2. If I would have seen this at first, I would have done this building up and smoothing out off the fuselage, but as it is, it should work out.  If not, I have a spare turret, and failing that, I'll beg Mike to print a solid copy. (That might have been the way to proceed in the first place, but hindsight is 20/20.  Either way, I'll know for sure tonight. :)

• Like 4

• Administrators

My plan is to smooth it out tonight, then LIGHTLY run rivet lines down the framework areas.

I initially thought about just using a solvent based putty like squadron white or green, but then I thought about shrinkage and cracking. A two part epoxy is the only way here.

If it doesn't look right in the end, I'll pull it off and replace it. we gotta remember, it's a piece of plastic, not our entire existence. If I need to fix it, I'll

fix it, but I have a sneaking suspicion it's gonna be just fine.

• Like 5

• Administrators

OK,

it doesn't look like it in the pics, but everything blends as smooth as a baby’s bottom. I’ll mark the rivets on the plastic, rescribe panel lines, then a quick shot of black. Then some Squadron green and a final smoothing. I’m going to lightly river where the frames would be and recheck my work.  Yes, it looks like crap in the pics, but in person it looks dead on accurate  

Mission 90% accomplished. 

DC992018-ED83-414B-98DB-02021C4D42DF.jpeg

BA3E68A0-95B4-4150-A178-A9F31F2AFD82.jpeg

24B7DB9B-D854-42EC-A904-E10C7858522F.jpeg

• Like 7

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Wingco57 said:

Very nice work, never knew the Canadian post war lancs had their own style of turretness.

Thanks, Cees. I will say that the feeling I had when I slathered Apoxie on an almost ready to paint fuselage wasn’t a very good one, but it needed to be done.

The Maritime Patrol Lancs had all their defensive armament removed, and the front and rear turret cupolas were seemingly modified almost whimsically on a case by case basis. There are plenty of pics of FM104 from when she was serving in the 60s, but it’s almost as though the photographers were purposely ignoring the mods and trying to concentrate on the unmodified wartime looking parts of the aircraft.  So good close up detail pics of the modifications are nigh unto impossible to find. 

This is one of the only ones I found. It certainly appears to have been sheeted over, probably in aluminum, then painted.   It was also faired into the fuselage with all gaps being eliminated. I suppose just sanding down the frames was another option, but I wanted the smooth, faired in look.

00BE16D9-BFB3-459F-8151-0B220E3274C5.jpeg

• Like 2

• Administrators

I’m glad they didn’t go with the “Yellow Submarine” look, like these guys did.  I’m curious as to the amount of Weed that was smoked before this abomination burst forth into the world.

1C8E265F-3B91-47B4-B25F-B25581F74157.jpeg

D04D2FD3-D715-4581-8E09-DF4503752C4C.png

• Like 5

Your #217 “Yellow Submarine” shot looks like a converted Grand Slam bomber, with unfortunately added portholes. Your #104 Lanc looks like they just covered over the turret shape and not removed it. Any reason why your #104 glasshouse cockpit had so much white coverage added, was it for any blackout required for instruments?

• Like 2