The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

KH P-39Q started

This is my 2nd KH P-39. After the 1st one I said no more of the KH '39's. I hated the kit! LOL As they say, never say never so I'm getting started on this one. The reason I decided to do this is this kit comes with a lot of interior detail parts such as engine, armament, etc. and I want to model it with the panels off showing some of the interior detail. I think the yellow zinc chromate in the nose and engine compartments will really contrast nicely with the OD exterior. As with my previous P-39 builds (Special Hobby and HK) I think a little lengthening of the rear fuselage is in order when you compare the kit fuselage to scale drawings. That's how I see it although other folks may have a different opinion. I plan to use the kit decals for Snooks.

4-19 2 001.jpg

• Like 8

And I thought you are a Tamiya only guy :D. Nice choice though with the P-39. I will fasten my seatbelts, as I have received my Special Hobby one two weeks ago. Can't wait for you to do your magic on this one.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Rodolfo Torres Vazquez said:

Yes, the P39 is a nice bird, :popcorn: interested in following your project!

Regards!
Rodolfo

I have my fingers crossed this one won't have the high "cuss factor" that my 1st one did!;)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DocRob said:

And I thought you are a Tamiya only guy :D. Nice choice though with the P-39. I will fasten my seatbelts, as I have received my Special Hobby one two weeks ago. Can't wait for you to do your magic on this one.

Cheers Rob

I manage to "branch out" sometimes Rob! :)

• Like 4

5 hours ago, HubertB said:

This is certainly no Tamiya Corsair or P-51 :) ... But you know what to expect.

Will follow this one :popcorn:

Hubert

For sure Hubert! I'm hoping it won't be too much of a PITA but we will see! :)

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

John, you don’t hang around. Really looking forward to the build, never personally built one but never say never in your words. Hope it isn’t the SH pita brand of torture.......

Thanks Phil. I know it has it's problems but, since I'm aware of them from a previous build, I hope they don't cause too high of a cuss factor. We will see!:)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jeff said:

I have no worries ( easy for me to say ) , this is going to be another EPIC build.............. cuss factor aside..........  maybe something with a British flavor??

My intention is to build it as "Snooks 2nd" and use the kit decals. :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

John

Pulled up my seat and buckled in. Going to be a great build for sure.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Getting started on the preliminary work of cleaning off all the molding tabs and trimming away flash. :)

• Like 4

• Administrators

Awesomeness, John!   I have yet to complete my KH P-39. It was the only KH kit that I cussed at for weeks on end, to the point of MY WIFE telling me to SOD the thing till I calmed down.  (I get worked up just like you do)   But most of the issues were caused by me, so I hang my head in shame.

One thing I remember John, is when someone over on TOS built this kit with everything open, he had a hard time finding space for nose weight.  FYI, but I'm sure you've figured it out already.  (I'll never have that problem as I always close my stuff up tight).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Clunkmeister said:

Awesomeness, John!   I have yet to complete my KH P-39. It was the only KH kit that I cussed at for weeks on end, to the point of MY WIFE telling me to SOD the thing till I calmed down.  (I get worked up just like you do)   But most of the issues were caused by me, so I hang my head in shame.

One thing I remember John, is when someone over on TOS built this kit with everything open, he had a hard time finding space for nose weight.  FYI, but I'm sure you've figured it out already.  (I'll never have that problem as I always close my stuff up tight).

Yes indeed Ernie! This kit has a very high cuss-factor and since I am pretty much aware of the problems I hope to get around them without too much trouble. My plan is to have the nose and engine compartments open which means I'll have to put that mother on a base with the nose wheel glued down. We'll see how it goes! ;)

• Like 4