The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Welcome to the D-Day 75th Anniversary Group Build!

• Members

Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force:

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months.

The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you.

In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped, and battle-hardened. He will fight savagely.

But this is the year 1944. Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our Home Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned. The free men of the world are marching together to victory.

I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty, and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory.

Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Welcome to the D-Day 75th Anniversary Group Build!  This is the first new GB initiated in a while and hopefully will lead to more so your participation is appreciated!

Rules: 

1.  The GB runs from 1 June 2019 until 31 January 2020, with a possible extension contingent on participation.

2. The GB is open to all subjects 1/35 and larger that were operational in the NW European theater from June to August of 1944.  For AFV/vehicular subjects it should be a subject that was actually in the Normandy area.

3.  Projects should be no more than 25% complete to be eligible for a prize.  Projects more than 25% complete are welcome as non-prize eligible entries.

Sponsorship:

Temecula Valley Model Club will be awarding a prize (TBD) in the form of a raffle drawing for all completed entries.

If you'd like to sponsor and donate a prize, let me know!

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Mike, I know it’s a Friday but my brain is not computing Rule 3.......embarrassing to say...:huh:

If you have already started a model that qualifies it cant be more than 25% complete if you want to win a prize.  I have a half track that I have been working on for a bit, its about half done.  I can enter it, but wont win a prize.  In light of that I am going to start something brand new to compete for said prize. 

• Like 2

• Members
4 hours ago, SapperSix said:

If you have already started a model that qualifies it cant be more than 25% complete if you want to win a prize.  I have a half track that I have been working on for a bit, its about half done.  I can enter it, but wont win a prize.  In light of that I am going to start something brand new to compete for said prize. 

Yup, exactly.  GBs are a good excuse to clear things off the shelf of doom so if you have something that's more than 25% complete, please share it.  That entry won't be eligible for a prize but new projects (25% or less complete) will be eligible for a prize.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Dave J said:

I'm down for this one! I have plans for a couple of builds! Let us see if I can actually finish them!

That’s always the issue, last few group builds I entered ended in failures, as I am still working on cracking the box on on my P-61B.

• Like 2

OK...ok....OK!!  You've talked me into to it.  I'll be doing the venerable Tamiya StuG IIIG:

133019-10911-pristine.jpg

It served with the 116 Panzer Division at Normandy.  I gave away the rubber band tracks, so I'm gonna use some saved magic tracks on it.

Gaz

• Like 6

Agreed...

The Magic Tracks on the build I'm considering are less than a centimetre long, and there's 41 links to assemble each side.

IMG20190519151452.thumb.jpg.7ccacefa26fa8e03c5ef268c27b80196.jpg

My plan would be; pour a large glass of red Wine, squirt some Super glue randomly on the Worktop, and throw the whole lot up in the air like the Asparagus Clairvoyant does.

Can't come out much worse surely!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, SapperSix said:

Depending on the magic tracks, I expect you might be involved in some heavy drinking.  Great Choice.  Enjoy your build.

Panzer III/IV tracks are pretty easy.  But drinking is always good!

2 hours ago, Wumm said:

Agreed...

The Magic Tracks on the build I'm considering are less than a centimetre long, and there's 41 links to assemble each side.

IMG20190519151452.thumb.jpg.7ccacefa26fa8e03c5ef268c27b80196.jpg

My plan would be; pour a large glass of red Wine, squirt some Super glue randomly on the Worktop, and throw the whole lot up in the air like the Asparagus Clairvoyant does.

Can't come out much worse surely!

Those tracks look like a PiTA.  But anything beats rubberband tracks.

Gaz

• Like 2

Not sure I will participate, given my abysmal record on anything GB, and lack of time at the bench, and also because I do not like cameo things, being with wings or targets, very much ...

But ...

If I participated, I'd be tempted by this subject :

1986_13_2_2.jpg.fd2317ff0317ab36dd149be5c0c6e18f.jpg

Alternatively I was thinking of this one, but, although the decaying hulk still exists today, much modified from the 1944 period, I would have to find a way of drawing the hull lines first ...

juno-and-thv-warden-d-day-1944-copyright-trinity-house.jpg.93a519f8ebf44294f3f39fb74e11d3c4.jpg

Both would fit my bill of not-too-military subjects, and the GB requirement, I guess ...

Hubert

PS : both pics posted under fair use principle, of course

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...