The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Hobby Boss P-61 re-started

I had started this build over a year ago over on "TOS" but, due to high cuss factor problems, I put it all back in the box even though it was well along. I've decided to finish this SOB but I have no idea where to put it when finished. It's a BIG model and all my display cases are full. I'll cross that bridge when (and if) I come to it. The big hurdle right now is to mate the wings to the fuselage. I've added a length of brass tubing to give it a stronger join. I am converting this "B" to a "A" with the short nose in a OD and Gray camo. Stay tuned!

1-24-18 002.jpg

1-24-18 003.jpg

2-4-18 001.jpg

2-8-18 0.jpg

2-12 002.jpg

2-14 002.jpg

2-15 001.jpg

9-5-18 001.jpg

7-11-19 001.jpg

• Like 12

12 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I wondered what happened to this one. I'm glad to see you giving it another shot John. 

I know what you mean about where to put it once it's done. My B-25s are in a similar state of completion.

I decided it had sat on the SOD for too long but that gave me some time to consider a good approach to mounting the wings. I have my fingers crossed they will stay put when attached. :)

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

John you are definitely a glutton for punishment...lol.  It looks good, I wanted one of these till I saw all the problems people were having with it.

Ron G 

Yes indeed Ron. I sure set myself up for a hard time with this one. Hopefully I am past all the big problems but we will see! ;)

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, TJTX said:

I'm very happy to see this one back on the bench.  Keep it going!

I have the starboard wing attached now so it's so far so good. Fingers crossed! :)

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

good to see the SOB back.....

"SOB"???????????   ah yes............. Sweet Old Bird............ I got it............:rofl: yes, I also remember this one well, and was really enjoying the detailed build work, I thought it was looking just fine, BUT I wasn't the guy having to fight with it, glad it's back John, as always watching with great interest.....

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Wingco57 said:

You can do it. Great that you have started again on it. Now make sure you finish the damn thing!:D

Cheers

Cees

It's a damn thing alright. I have both wings attached and, after checking, they both have too much dihedral. That's because it is impossible to really check if it's correct when trying to get them attached (at least for me). Too friggin big to handle properly. Now I'll have to come up with some creative "adjustments". Just another PITA. However, I plan to persist so we will see. :wacko:

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DocRob said:

Good to see you continuing the P-61. I liked what you did then with the interior and details and look forward to your progress.

Cheers Rob

Thank you Rob. This one requires a LOT of patience. ;)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

They were dark days when we saw this last............now the sun is out and everything is good with the world.........good to see the SOB back.......

Yes Phil those were dark days. I'm having to really draw upon my patience with this SOB though. ;)

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Jeff said:

"SOB"???????????   ah yes............. Sweet Old Bird............ I got it............:rofl: yes, I also remember this one well, and was really enjoying the detailed build work, I thought it was looking just fine, BUT I wasn't the guy having to fight with it, glad it's back John, as always watching with great interest.....

:D Yes, sweet old bird LOL.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

John, I'm THRILLED this is back on the bench.  I've seen so many really stellar builds of this kit it'd be a shame to not see it done. Of course, mine still languishes in the stash with it's 10 lbs of AM goodies, so that shows you I'm personally all talk and little action.

I'm looking forward to seeing the culmination of this.  

And please be forewarned. I have a feeling that if this hits the SOD again, Phil will call in an airstrike on your location right after Gazz sends in the Hussars.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

John, I'm THRILLED this is back on the bench.  I've seen so many really stellar builds of this kit it'd be a shame to not see it done. Of course, mine still languishes in the stash with it's 10 lbs of AM goodies, so that shows you I'm personally all talk and little action.

I'm looking forward to seeing the culmination of this.  

And please be forewarned. I have a feeling that if this hits the SOD again, Phil will call in an airstrike on your location right after Gazz sends in the Hussars.

LOL Ernie! I'm in the process of fixing the wings so we will see. :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Clunkmeister said:

Looking bloody amazing!

Thanks Ernie. Lots of sanding, etc going on! I really want to see how it looks with a coat of gray primer. That will be a big milestone. ;)

• Like 3