The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

HPH B-36 Peacemaker A truly LARGE scale model.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Not much to show. Working on the interior, which will be very visible. This looks crappy I know, but I’ve done nothing but base colors so far.   Hopefully this weekend I’ll tone down that green some and give it some life, plus the rest of the details.

Lots of resin dust. That stuff is never ending.

5D3CFA5A-EDC7-447C-B2DD-FFCB4E34E5E8.jpeg

• Like 7

On 11/30/2019 at 1:06 PM, Clunkmeister said:

Not much to show. Working on the interior, which will be very visible. This looks crappy I know, but I’ve done nothing but base colors so far.   Hopefully this weekend I’ll tone down that green some and give it some life, plus the rest of the details.

Lots of resin dust. That stuff is never ending.

5D3CFA5A-EDC7-447C-B2DD-FFCB4E34E5E8.jpeg

The 3 hatches? I'm guessing one is the tunnel to the rear pressure cabin, I believe it was on the side, not central like the B-29 and also pressurised with the cabins. But the other two? Any ideas on which one access what? My guess is that the higher one accesses the forward turrets? and the lower one the bomb bay catwalk and also to the wing roots. The whole craft would have to de-pressurise to open these hatches.

6451022457_749df4f7a7_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

She’s a jumble of parts now, but hopefully soon we’ll see some good order and discipline!

Yep, I believe one was to allow access to the wing while in flight. The aircraft did have to depressurize for that, yes. 
There were circuit breakers and switches for the electrics in the wings. Plus, the engineers could access the engines. 
But that would mean that the aircraft would lose its one big defense, altitude. There was nothing the Soviets possessed that could come close to catching a B-36 featherweight at altitude. Especially with the jets running. 

My build will be of a late featherweight. The only guns were the twin 20mm in the tail. All creature comforts such as the bunks and such were removed, all gunsights and everything related to the turrets was gone. Several crewmen were eliminated this way, but then a photo lab was added in place of the forward bomb bay. And more fuel was carried in the rear bomb bay.  So it could go much, much higher, farther, and faster.

It must have really bothered the Russians seeing this thing leaving contrails 9 miles into the stratosphere, knowing they were powerless to stop it.  :)

D4A101A6-48BE-46FF-8A8B-BC17A6EDF65D.jpeg

F9250BD5-DD32-45A8-80DE-2CD233302FCB.jpeg

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Where’s it off to when restored?

I was going to ask the same question. 

There was a hobby shop here in Toronto that used to have a B-36 model hanging from the ceiling. The wingspan was at least 8ft. When the shop closed I have no idea what they did with it. 

Carl

• Like 3

• Administrators

I’ve done a bit more detail stuff today. Despite the size of the completed model, I’m not accustomed to working in such a tiny scale and seeing and detailing my work is definitely a challenge. But on the other hand, you don’t need to be quite as anal about the same tiny details you need to handle in 1/32.

I’m thinking I’m going way too far on some of this, being that some of it is lower deck and will only be seen through the nose glazing. But, it’s looking real decent even though much of it is just random picking out of switches with whatever looks right to busy it all up.

Tomorrow we put some clear orange over the various silver CRT displays.

A7CDE98A-4F22-4CBE-B15C-66FFD2A14BC0.jpeg

83E06391-8149-4D21-93C4-D0C43B305D70.jpeg

21FE1ACF-9ABF-44F5-9E35-4E6697FEEE63.jpeg

51A48616-2F0C-4909-9B83-AA4D6932686F.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

The cool thing is that as we work, the impossibly large piles of small parts becomes less and less, as parts get used.

The absolute hardest part of this build is figuring out the proper placement of component parts. Some pics of black box locations are vague at best. And prototype pics don’t help because B-36s weren’t necessarily “standard” in their equipment layout

• Like 5

• Administrators

Bomb Aimee’s station will be invisible.  The block in the middle is the nosewheel well. It will have a black box on top of it where I just brushed on some green, and the front will have the entry hatch from the nosewheel ladder.

I expect I’ll wire this up with some bundles to busy it up through the Perspex. Some Airscale instruments to place yet.

1B3B4052-F080-420F-BD79-860819BDB86F.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
6 hours ago, FME erk said:

What an epic build . . . . . . 

What will be the wingspan on this when its complete Ernie ??

It’ll be about 5 ft. Which is way, way past my comfort zone. 
But just like the Lanc, the wings detach for some semblance of easier transport. 

• Like 7

• Administrators

Building an engineer’s panel out of Airscale decals right now.  This scale is TINY!   But the decals themselves are beautiful when examined under an electron microscope.

If you understand aero engines, the panel makes a lot of sense and is laid out beautifully.  All similar gauges are grouped together just as in today’s modern ergonomic cockpits, and a quick scan of the panel will show an engineer of a developing problem.

Compared to a lot of the haphazard panel layouts of the day, this one is very user friendly.

078544C9-C3AA-48A2-A1E2-56FB56CAB691.jpeg

• Like 5