Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Congratulations Ernie!!!

TJTX

Thank you Ernie for your kind words.   I think I feel the way you did at times with the Felixstowe.   I'm happy with it and that's what matters.  It has lit a fire in me to do and be better and push the limits on what I'm doing with my builds next.  

• Like 1

Congrats guys, those planes deserved it! 

Yes, I never know what lights the judges fires, and I feel strongly that judging is highly biased. I am being encouraged by my local club to do some training for judging and this November at the Mid-state TN show, I may take them up on it, as I would like to know what they look for, and to see why they make some decisions. Last year my Corsair won (with tons of errors) and my Ki-84 never has, which I feel is a better build.

...and once more, congrats on the Lanc! I feel if it was done, it would have gotten some awards and the Nats.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Thanks. Tony and I talked a lot today, and quite honestly, both of us are getting more and more interested in civilian applications of military aircraft such as SAR birds, fire bombers, racers, etc. 

The Lanc played a huge role in postwar Canada, with mapping the north, Patrol bombers, dedicated rescue birds, civilian transport versions, fisheries enforcement, anti submarine patrol, etc.

The Maritime Patrol Lancs have a special place in my life as well.  Mom and Dad were both RCAF, and when I was a babe in arms these aircraft made me scream and holler when they passed overhead. 

So the moment HK announced their big kit, I knew there really was no other choice. The Lanc definitely played a HUGE part in the war effort, but the available schemes are well, limited basically to one.   But there’s piles of postwar options, and this is THE kit to use of you want to build a postwar Lanc. 

And best of all, most every part we developed for this build will be or already is now available, so others can do something similar.  :)

I am starting to think like you guys, some civilian builds are enticing. I have also been collecting models and decals to do SAR and civilian builds for RU, UK, CA, FR, USCG, NTPS, Germany, and PL. And I want to make another Russian Aeroflot Heli too. I blame you and tony for this.

• Like 3

• Administrators
1 hour ago, 1to1scale said:

I am starting to think like you guys, some civilian builds are enticing. I have also been collecting models and decals to do SAR and civilian builds for RU, UK, CA, FR, USCG, NTPS, Germany, and PL. And I want to make another Russian Aeroflot Heli too. I blame you and tony for this.

I plan an Antonov Airlines An-22 using the Amodel 1/72 kit. It’ll be huge.  I’ll need to print the emblems and mask the rest. 

If we had a 1/32 An-2, I’d be doing many more. 

In the meantime, it’s Septemeber Fury and a TCA or BOAC Lancastrian

• Like 1

• Administrators

I'm not ashamed to say it, but Tony's Corsair is head and shoulders above my Lanc, and I'm not being humble. It's just a better executed build with a ton fewer mistakes.   It was the best aircraft of any scale bar none, in my semi learned opinion. 

My Lanc was in Conversions so it didn't compete against his, but notable is that neither of us won "best aircraft".  The two big awards the Lanc won were visual impression awards, not judged awards.

It's a real head scratcher why here in Texas, 1/32 seems to get so little love from modelers. It's the scale to get serious into detailing and build an actual aircraft replica, not just it's external physical form.

Remiond me to remember to get armor pics next time. We're a dual interest site here.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, crazypoet said:

So out of plain perverse curiosity, what *did* win in the judged aircraft category?

Best aircraft was a 1/48 Tamiya p-47 that was good but nothing about it seemed to stand out.  What I did notice was another model club was there from out of state and they were heavily involved in judging.  And they seemed to win quite a few best ofs......

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TJTX said:

Best aircraft was a 1/48 Tamiya p-47 that was good but nothing about it seemed to stand out.  What I did notice was another model club was there from out of state and they were heavily involved in judging.  And they seemed to win quite a few best ofs......

It's sad when there's even a hint of bias in judging - and also frustratingly unavoidable in something that depends so sensitively on the eye and mind of the beholder.  I would love to know the actual objective criteria for these things, and how it's supposed to be applied.

• Like 2

Ernie, Congrats on the impressive builds!  I thought you just hung out here because of everyone's charming personalities.  Who would have thunk it that you actually have some mad modeling skills!!  Now I've gotta ask, can you show us your dress modeling uniform you are going to wear that medal on??  :rofl:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, crazypoet said:

It's sad when there's even a hint of bias in judging - and also frustratingly unavoidable in something that depends so sensitively on the eye and mind of the beholder.  I would love to know the actual objective criteria for these things, and how it's supposed to be applied.

There is an IPMS judging handbook, but most judges don’t sit there and refer back to it. And judging from some of the discussions about rules before the Nats, there is much confusion about the interpretation of those rules.

A little story about judging standards...I used to be a judge at the TX Mopar Mini Nationals, we had forms that we would have to write a number on a scale of 1-5 next to a criteria of specific areas of attention, altogether it took a team of 5 Judges about 10 minutes to do a whole car. Since I had experience painting cars, I was assigned to finish & paint. I tried to be fair as possible, and judged on context. Young guns were not judges he same as customs, and customs were not judged the same as restorations. When my car was judged I was asked to step away at least 200 feet, I won stacks of trophy’s for my car, but I often wondered why because I knew where all the flaws were in my paint and I was highly self critical. But...I felt that judging at our car shows were very fair, if not slightly harsh, but not without reason. You want to award a person for extraordinary attention to detail and work, and not for slapping cash in someone’s hand to do it for them. If a car was built professionally, we were extra critical. I had the privilege of judging two “famous pro” built cars, and it was hard to find any flaws no matter how small, but my personal opinion was that a guy who built a car in his garage was given more leeway than the guy who paid $250,000 for his and didn’t lift a finger.

Thankfully commission built models are not allowed in IPMS judging, but I do think they could learn from car show judging and impartiality. Giving a few judges an area of responsibility and a scoring system on models would be a good start, as I saw the judging process at a show last year made me think, there is no way I was going to win anything. I saw a three person team, but it was very clear there was one guy doing all the thinking and the other two were his “yes” men, he was judging, they were just agreeing with him. As I watched him judge 2 models, he was just plain being an A-hole. I heard him comment, at one, “I’m sick of looking at these damn Tamiya ****!” Is that being impartial? (FWIW, I cant remember if he was talking about F-4’s or Corsairs)

Last month at the Nats, i volunteered to help them, i was assigned to award distribution after the doors closed to the public before the award ceremony. I was a little shocked as to why learn that some models had won over the other. I also some unusual category splits that were just plain stupid. One armor class had been split 3 times, 1st had 50 models, 2nd had 50 models, 3rd had 1! Did that 3rd deserve a gold, while there were 2 unawarded, silver and bronze? Out of those 101 models, 2, maybe 3 modelers missed out. Yet, the category I was in in along with 2 other models got merged into a generic Helicopter class. The winner had zero weathering, while other masterfully executed helos got nothing (Wessex). I agree with others that judging, even at the same show is wildly inconsistent. 

I had told the club leader last week I was willing to do some on the job training at our November show this year to become a judge, as I am not someone that folds to peer pressure, I believe that some of the judges in this part of the country are old and jaded, need to go, and a new crop need to come in. I’m going to try do my part, as I hate just not knowing why some kits get ignored. Sorry the rant.

...and I knew Ernie was going to kill it with the Lanc! 

• Like 3

• Administrators
1 hour ago, ScottsGT said:

Ernie, Congrats on the impressive builds!  I thought you just hung out here because of everyone's charming personalities.  Who would have thunk it that you actually have some mad modeling skills!!  Now I've gotta ask, can you show us your dress modeling uniform you are going to wear that medal on??  :rofl:

Scott, I haven’t been able to squeeze into my class A’s in 30 years. But I ever find a tent, I’ll swipe some fabric and get some new ones tailored. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Mark,  I thought that Wessex was gorgeous, but I remember thinking at the time that the yellow paint looked “heavy” as in thick.  I’d have to go back and look.  I know yellow is tough to do well, and if that Wessex had been white, grey, or camo, it would have shown better.

In airliners, that 1/72 IL-86 widebody jet looked awesome. Theflaps and slats were extended and the reverses were deployed. All scratchbuilt. The kit is Modelsvit, and it’s a tough build OOB, never mind kitbashed.  It won exactly nothing as well, instead having micro scale airliners win the hardware.

Maybe I’ll have to say yes one of these times. They ask, and I politely refuse, year after year.

oh well

• Like 2