The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Congratulations Ernie!!!

TJTX

He absolutely can, I've looked into that before and as long as you haven't won specifically at nationals your good.  This bird had a crowd around it all day and rightfully so.  It is stunningly beautiful in person. 

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, TJTX said:

He absolutely can, I've looked into that before and as long as you haven't won specifically at nationals your good.  This bird had a crowd around it all day and rightfully so.  It is stunningly beautiful in person. 

I was under the impression that up the chain was acceptable for winning builds (Local / Regional / National), but the reverse was frowned upon.

Regardless, it would be a shame if more people were deprived of seeing this incredible build in person.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Wumm said:

I was under the impression that up the chain was acceptable for winning builds (Local / Regional / National), but the reverse was frowned upon.

Regardless, it would be a shame if more people were deprived of seeing this incredible build in person.

This was my understanding of the "unwritten rules" as well.

• Like 6

• Administrators

Thanks y’all. Tony and I decided to take the day and jet over to Arlington for the show, and I specifically asked about Nats competition if we take awards for several reasons: My Lanc, Tony’s Bardahl Special, Snipe, and F4U-1.

We were absolutely assured that going UP is never a problem, and is actually encouraged to get more buys competing on a National and even International level.  Think about it. The whole idea is to get local winners to go compete Nationally. Clubs want it as so regional chapters. They want the glory of one of their own winning Nationally or Internationally.

However, competing DOWN is very much frowned upon if not outright banned. Having a Nationals, Telford, or Moson winner clean up at a local show against local boys is just rude and bad form all around.

• Like 5

• Administrators

Tony himself did VERY well today as well, with the Bardahl Special coming in first against some very good competitors.  This model is absolutely gorgeous and with the white paint, is a serious sleeper on the tables. That prop and those tanks,... ooooooooh

0B124AA0-08F8-4A43-805D-2CEABFF135E6.jpeg

1331167B-471D-486E-AC45-129BFED3ECC9.jpeg

0BDCA68F-2B4D-4A24-A980-264E4D4BC17B.jpeg

47A5155C-4F33-4AA8-8E4C-CEEE26D16311.jpeg

C49E38E5-78B2-4D4A-A826-3AC2022D0352.jpeg

FE7D5B02-B172-4BC7-9B57-43A105119FC7.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

But the one that confounds me is Tony’s F4U-1.

I’ve been doing this a very, very long time, and I get mystified again and again.

For some reason, it just doesn’t light the fires of the locals. Come to think of it, no Corsairs really do around here.

This model is the cleanest, best built model on the table show after show, but it just never seems to break out. I’m pretty sure it’ll do phenomenally at the Nats. There are ZERO build errors on this model. Tony, I feel more strongly about this one than I did your P-40.  It was by far the strongest WW2 1/32 prop entry there today. 

7CADC5F2-4438-4538-B79C-3BC44F33FAC4.jpeg

A179FABB-F61D-4D70-B00F-DA9DCF1E3D5E.jpeg

03B09FCD-752D-4752-A437-FB03BC2F05CC.jpeg

F44927FA-AF84-4ACD-96EA-7AF6ADC29811.jpeg

02E325FB-7663-4A35-9556-D04AA7F0200F.jpeg

6D835424-07AF-401B-BBC4-FC9F81EC31F6.jpeg

798E1ACA-645A-4EF0-9C8E-DC51A17AE353.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Everybody expects that a lot of camouflaged Lancs are going to be built; lots of guys want to pay tribute to relatives. But you have done what few people did expect and show a seldom seen element of that aircraft's service life, that was in itself also of historical significance. A stunning piece of work and whether you agree or not--because that is the perfectionist in modelers trying to push their abilities--but for all intents and purposes you have knocked it out of the park and a sports reference from a 55yo whose idea of sports is to hold down a mouse button while playing PUBG can be regarded as canon henceforth.

Well deserved. If I didn't confine myself to WWII subjects, I would love to have such a beautiful plane in my collection.

• Like 5

• Administrators

Thanks. Tony and I talked a lot today, and quite honestly, both of us are getting more and more interested in civilian applications of military aircraft such as SAR birds, fire bombers, racers, etc. 

The Lanc played a huge role in postwar Canada, with mapping the north, Patrol bombers, dedicated rescue birds, civilian transport versions, fisheries enforcement, anti submarine patrol, etc.

The Maritime Patrol Lancs have a special place in my life as well.  Mom and Dad were both RCAF, and when I was a babe in arms these aircraft made me scream and holler when they passed overhead. 

So the moment HK announced their big kit, I knew there really was no other choice. The Lanc definitely played a HUGE part in the war effort, but the available schemes are well, limited basically to one.   But there’s piles of postwar options, and this is THE kit to use of you want to build a postwar Lanc. 

And best of all, most every part we developed for this build will be or already is now available, so others can do something similar.  :)

• Like 7

Well don Ernie and Tony, and sell-deserved wins :thumbsup2: !

(just a quickie, and it’s most certainly a photo-induced impression, but the left wing of the Lanc looks significantly higher above the ground than the right one ... )

Hubert

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Thanks. Tony and I talked a lot today, and quite honestly, both of us are getting more and more interested in civilian applications of military aircraft such as SAR birds, fire bombers, racers, etc. 

Hear, Hear !

Yes, we need more civvies and utilities, and less bombs and guns ;)

Hubert

• Like 3

• Administrators
3 hours ago, HubertB said:

Well don Ernie and Tony, and sell-deserved wins :thumbsup2: !

(just a quickie, and it’s most certainly a photo-induced impression, but the left wing of the Lanc looks significantly higher above the ground than the right one ... )

Hubert

Yessir, the model sits absolutely level.  

• Like 3