The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Advice on P51D late.

harv

Scratch the Hasegawa kit off the list, Harv. No matter which boxing, it's an old tool kit. I don't have the Z-M, but I pulled my Tamiya P-51D off the SOD a couple of weeks ago.

DSCN2277-1.jpg

DSCN2278-1.jpg

Cockpit placards from Barracuda or Airscale are a must!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Carl, I have the Dragon and Jerry's stuff.  It will be an early D. Chucks second mount " Glamorous Glenna II". His first was a C I  believe and Glamorous  Glenna was spelled wrong, IIRC.......harv

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/6/2019 at 9:38 PM, IainMackayDall said:

Has anyone built a 1:24 scale P-51D? I see that there are mods available like this one reviewed at Hyperscale: http://hyperscale.com/2019/reviews/accessories/modelmonkeyp51dwheelwellreviewbg_1.htm

I've been working on an Airfix Mustang for a while, and have just started another. Of course the ModelMonkey correction parts came out after I am almost finished the first one, but they will save so much time and effort for the second one. The Trumpeter kit is just not a contender if you want a good-looking Mustang.

As for the Tamiya Mustang, to be honest there really isn't much that it needs. There are some refinement parts in resin and photo-etch from various manufacturers, but those only enhance an already great kit. 

My 1/24 Airfix Mustang IV so far...long project. 

5lTC7e4h.jpg

LMRGf1Eh.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Harv, the Tamiya or the ZM are awesome kits. The Tamiya can generally be found a bit cheaper, and while still fiddly, it’s far less so than the ZM.   Knowing you, you’ll really like the Tamiya  it’s a click together kit with amazing detail and builds flawlessly.

Both kits build up into superb replicas if the P-51, and both have their adherents and detractors.  If you want an earlier D, the new Revell kit is bloody fabulous, but it’s the early D-5 without the fin fillet.

Personally, I prefer the ZM Mk.lV, as I like the wartime British variants, and you can build all variants from that one kit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

I like ZM due to the complexity and accuracy.

I like Revell due to the simplicity, price, and accuracy.

I like Tamiya due to its preciseness and accuracy. 

Says the modelling God!

Some of us are merely mortals.

When my students excell I say "There comes a moment when you're just showing off!" :D

• Like 2

• Administrators

LOL @ Dale. 

Boy do I have some of you folks fooled. I’m no modeling god. I’m actually a very mediocre modeler who’s gained much technique from the likes of y’all. I’ve had to completely strip total paint jobs off of almost every model I’ve built due to poor technique and/or carelessness on my part. I’ve had to totally rebuild the arse end of a jet project because I spilled Tamiya extra thin all over it.   I completely, totally, undeniably completely SUCK at AFVs. No matter what I do, I could buy a better representation of a vehicle by buying a Tonka toy, stripping off the name, and painting it green.  With house paint and a roller.  Folks who can take three gazillion little parts and make a realistic representation of an infantry vehicle are bloody wizards, in my opinion.

The only thing I can say about myself is that I’m not content with normal sane projects. I like to push the limits. But I’ve yet to attempt a metal clad fighter the likes of Peter Castle, a crazy warped Hallibag like Cees, or a total conversion of a B-17G to a B-17C as seen elsewhere. 

My ultimate goal right now after my B-36 is a scratchbuilt Fokker Super Universal in the largest practical scale that I can obtain a decent R-985 for.  If I can pull that off, my life will be complete.  

You folks, all of you, are where we all learn stuff. New techniques, new equipment and paint systems, etc, etc, all go a long way to helping us improve.  I absolutely refuse to settle. Settling to me is failure. There’s always room for improvement, which for me is to create the ultimate aviation forms in 1/32 and larger.

• Like 3