The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Hasegawa Nakajima Ki-84.

Hi Hubert.

The angles are set this way. The starboard side has a fitting that differs from the port so as to avoid confusion. I have been studying photographs and the angle is difficult to see. So I checked with my Hasegawa 1/48 Ki-84 & it is exactly the same. 

I am trusting Hasegawa at this point. They do very good work when making Japanese subjects. Surgery is required to fit them level. I can't imagine Hasegawa would make such an error over two kits.

The Japanese can be quite quirky. The Ki-84 is perhaps a reflection of Japanese game shows, "idiosyncratic". :lol: 

• Like 1

I saw that. Looking at the post war beaten up Frank looks like the kit plane when I look at it from the same angle. I have collected many photos of the hayate and I find it frustrating that none of those photographers took a level head on photo for me!!! Very inconsiderate.  :D

It is confusing. Hasegawa has made the kits with this feature. Specifically. On both the 32 and 48. Is it just for the Type 4???

Oh well, I am going to trust Hasegawa. I fear if I try to force it I will break it and have to raid the kit I am sending overseas for the chrissy prize. I can't just plunk in a Raiden or a Tojo instead with a note saying "Your Christmas surprise!!!".

Very unsportsmanlike. :lol:

• Like 1

Well this morning I again, like yesterday, awoke before sunrise.  I watched the sun come up. It was a very deep and dark sight. It was beautiful and yet the bushfire smoke made it menacing. The sun has been playing a huge part during this build. My GSI & Tamiya and Alclad dry in 5 seconds. After painting or using surfacer, I sit them on the path and bingo bango, dry. Even Mr surfacer 500 dries in less than 10 minutes.

So yesterday evening I took a photo to show you guys. My phone has a great camera but cannot do it justice.

XB9JaF.jpg

I am working very slowly, but the speed at which things dry makes it look fast. 

• Like 4

Looks menacing for sure, and when the sun is an orange glow, it is haunting..... at least the smoke isn't on the ground like it was here a few years ago, man it was hard to breathe.......  I bet the air tanker action is incredible......McDermott Aviation and their 214's giving it heavy power I bet eh??

• Like 1

I finally got back to work and built painted and began weathering the drop tanks. The first 2 hours were spent trying to clean my Custom Micron airbrush. Great tool but it is finicky. After 2 hours it still needs work. So I placed it aside and used my Silverline airbrush instead.

I have only just begun weathering and intend to do more tomorrow. 

I also used a new GSI matte clear and it is beautiful.

QkkDt4.jpg

ag68Dt.jpg

W0WJiy.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wumm said:

I'm pretty sure the stabilisers should be horizontal Dale...

http://hsfeatures.com/features04/ki8432ir_1.htm

S

Yeah mate, me too.

Okay, earlier I got down on myself.

Screw that. If I screwed up this model I will build another.

I emailed Hasegawa regarding the issue. They may or may not get back to me.

I live in a model shop so am spoiled for choice. :thumbsup2:

• Like 2

The morning has been spent correcting the tailplane (Thanks Hubert!) and weathering the auxiliary tanks. Also began painting and weathering the propellor. 

Recently I read several books a,bout the last battles over Japan. As a result I heavily weathered the tanks. The idea they have been sitting exposed to the elements and even perhaps been hit by grime let loose by explosions caused by USN fighter bombers and USAAF Mustangs.

Ahk391.jpg

nSPTGx.jpg

kjK0Xf.jpg

2ysN2R.jpg

9bt0jM.jpg

0XKEtC.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, TJTX said:

Tail planes look WAY better Dale.  Keep it going your motivating me for my build.

Thanks mate. I am flummoxed with Hasegawa's incorrect design of the tailplane across 2 scales. In a way I still trust Hasegawa. I wonder if I am wrong. 

:unsure:

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

Nice save with the tail, Dale. These grimy drop tanks look gorgeous. 

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob. :thumbsup2:

Slightly more added.

0jDlKc.jpgWv0cMp.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GazzaS said:

Dale, great to see you building this kit!  Looks great!

GAz

Thanks so much Gaz. 

Mate, check this out. My day began working on the kit. Then had to play drums for a few hours. Got home, kept working on the Frank. 

Then I spotted a Ki-61 on top of my cupboard. I began this build way back in the time I was at LSP, ruining everybody's day. :unsure:

When done with the Frank I stripped away the terrible paint job on the Tony. I just bought another after Christmas, so I have a whole new box of Tony  spare parts. 

Here it is before I destroyed it.

tEsVT6.jpg

The undercart and prop' are complete.

Now. There is a little re-scribing to be done. I think I can complete both. Just what I needed. :thumbsup2:

vGbHZb.jpg

7BEbKv.jpg

• Like 3

Dale, I think I figured out what happened to your tail...looking at another kit I have, there are three “fingers” on each side, they are designed to slide into each other to make a perfect horizontal alignment. It looks like they could have gotten meshed in the wrong way. I had zero problems when I put mine together, but I can see how easy it could have been for them to goin the wrong way. I drew a little picture below, it’s sorta crappy, but explains it.

Anyway, you are doing a great job with it. I’m glad to see you adopting the other lonely rescue dog from the SOD.

69BB7FC2-555D-4E9B-8F04-7775E3B0396E.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

Dale, I think I figured out what happened to your tail...looking at another kit I have, there are three “fingers” on each side, they are designed to slide into each other to make a perfect horizontal alignment. It looks like they could have gotten meshed in the wrong way. I had zero problems when I put mine together, but I can see how easy it could have been for them to goin the wrong way. I drew a little picture below, it’s sorta crappy, but explains it.

Anyway, you are doing a great job with it. I’m glad to see you adopting the other lonely rescue dog from the SOD.

69BB7FC2-555D-4E9B-8F04-7775E3B0396E.jpeg

Hi mate.

No, the kit has different fitting for port and starboard. Look at the the starboard stabilizer. See the nob? That is only on the starboard side.

What I built was as it is until changed. Same story on the 1/48 Frank.

Looking around my room after I'd finished for the day on the Frank, I had a look on top of this cupboard my family gave me when I was ill. (I've never used it as I keep my clothes in bags for touring. Well I found the Tony. I knew I had it, but what I didn't realised I  had was.....

Anyway. I fixed issues on the Tony such as re-scribing and cleaned up the Frank. 

But this morning.....

ANuzI2.jpg

vrkO0E.jpgJQ2212.jpgAnwJ3H.jpgc3LZ5k.jpg

...... This morning I climbed up the cupboard and to my utter surprise I found this!

J6G9Pw.jpgI5a5mQ.jpg3nj8pO.jpg5vCh21.jpgEMtYm1.jpg

I have a vague memory of the Tojo. I have another with a Big Ed set in my model cupboard.

Does anyone remember the Tojo???

Oh well, I am off to play drums. 

Cheers guys.

• Like 4