The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Japanese Aircraft. Your thoughts, likes and dislikes.

Has anyone modelled, or is there a ever a 1/32 build of the larger Japanese medium bombers, like the ones that Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto flew in (Mitsubishi G4M Betty) 1/48 ref URL: https://hobbycom.jp/my/351c960165/diaries/31268 plus an obvious pairing for a P-38 out from Bougainville.
The documentation at https://www.pacificwrecks.com has always tempted me to try to visit some of the forgotten airfields in the Solomon Islands. ( although not to collect anything there, just witness what's been left for so long ) I've dived on wrecked ships with that incredible water visibility in the Solomon Islands, but never realised when I was there, what was still hidden on these islands. https://www.pacificwrecks.com/airfields/solomons/ballale/salvage.html and http://warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/wwii-japanese-aircraft-wrecks-salvaged-at-balalae.html

Screen-Shot-2018-12-28-at-6.52.18-PM-1024x651.jpg

• Like 4

I do but have not built that many in 1/32, this is the only one in my case currently j2m3-b11.jpg

I have built a number in 1/48 and would like to see more mediums in that scale as I don't have much room for twins in 1/32, at the top of my list is the Mitsubishi Ki-67 Hiryu. I got tired of waiting for a Nell in 1/48 and built the Koster vacuform kit g3m2-b30.jpg

And I couldn't resist this one even though it's in the micro scale of 1/144

g10-b01.jpg

• Like 9

I've always liked the J2M Raiden. I built a bunch of the old LS 1/72 kits when I was younger and always liked it. I've got the ZM one in the stash that I'll need to do one day. 

For modern stuff, the F-2 is pretty , especially in the blue camo. There's also the CFA-44 Nosferatu but I don't know if that qualifies as Japanese. 

Catl

• Like 3

I built only one so far and had a lot of fun. You have to like these Hasegawa kits. Detail is ok and they build in a breeze, which leaves more capacity for weathering, wear and tear. I have only one more Japanese plane in stash, a 1/48 F1M2 'Pete' which will be weathered heavily to as an abandoned sea plane. In the moment I don't plan to purchase more, but get myself honey trapped by you or myself sometimes and considered a resin Lukgraph Nakajima Ko-4 for some time.

Cheers Rob

P1130515.thumb.JPG.de2cf808a447a6a67cdf1336fbd9d489.JPG

• Like 4

Big fan of the Ki-61 and it's Ki-100 derivatives. I have a few of the Hasegawa Tony kits tucked away, but missed picking up the Alley Cat conversions at their release.

Interested in the different ways the Axis powers used the DB601 motor; with Japan's Tony and Seiran compared to the Bf109 and Italy's Serie 1 and 5 fighters, and the various design approaches undertaken.

Not at all interested in Kate, Val or Jill. However, I would love to see Zoukei Mura do a J1N1 Gekko to compliment their Ki-45.

S

• Like 1

Oh, I forgot one, I might buy. A Ki-51 Sonia in 1/48 from Wingsy Kits. I like the plane and would like to represent exactly this paintjob, how, I'm not sure, maybe first airbrushing red brown, then masking the dots with liquid mask, then spraying light grey, again using liquid mask and finally spray dark green. I will try on a dummy an decide then. I will take my time testing, so there is a slim chance for the companies to release a 1/32 version ;), but then again in LS it would be a freehand paintjob :icon_eek:.

Picture for discussion purpose only

Cheers Rob

D5-04.jpg?t=1550670757

• Like 2

I very much like the full size birds such as Ki-61 Tony, A6M.. Zero etc. and closely follow what is going on regarding recoveries and restorations.

But just not in miniature. Same with German ones. Can't set myself to building them, I find them boring to do. I know, must be a psychological thing.

Cees

• Like 2

I like most of the Japanese fighters for looks even if not for their fighting capabilities.  I used to play IL-2 Sturmovik online at a place that had historical scenarios and I'd always 'fly' Japanese if it was a Pacific scenario.  My favorites to 'fly' online were the N1K1 and N1K2 cuz they were kick-ass and had four 20mm's.  My proudest Japanese "sortie" saw me down three Wildcats with an A6M2.   Usually in that scenario my Zeke was always catching fire.  Yep...  I was seriously addicted.

For models, I reckon all of the fighters look cool and I'll get to each of them someday.  Most of their bomber aircraft leave me cold, though.  The Betty had to be one of the ugliest aircraft I've ever seen.

Love this one:

full

• Like 1

The G4N had the nickname Zippo, because it was a fire trap.

My stash of Japanese aircraft is quite large. I have all the Hasegawa 1/72 scale bombers. I have most of Hasegawa 1/48 plus all Hasegawa1/32. I nearly have all the Fine molds 1/48, plus Tamiya 48 and 32. No Gekko as yet.

The newer Hasegawa kits have weighted tyres, which is very cool. The 72 Nell is gorgeous. 

I don't have the Wingsy Ki-55. I have the older Nichico and have French markings for it.