The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Spitfire Iron Maiden build

This is the latest build, which I am building for someone, some of the details were specified by them...so, this will not be “correct” BOB Mk.II. I am using the new Revell 1/32 Iron Maiden edition Spitfire. The only extras will be the G-factor gear and an acrylic rod.

3A36C45E-237D-4442-BD13-18E488D827BC.jpeg

• Like 6

Of course, gotta start with the cockpit...

Some modification was in order, it was desired that the canopy could be closed, so I had modified the Churchill salute arm to come down about 15 degrees so Eddie’s arm can fit under the canopy. Thumb was opened a little to sit on the trigger. 

26B43DF2-51E3-469C-A232-E6E8E0D96B6B.jpeg

CEEC83D6-6F4D-49F8-9D44-EADFE0E79EB1.jpeg

1FBCA092-6C0E-4950-86B2-B77CE252C8F3.jpeg

• Like 9

9C177EF3-910C-47B8-8E5A-18F049DDBD9C.jpeg

6B9B0C2B-5C05-41D9-8D9E-2BFBB99F7DB6.jpeg

9451F7AE-0F16-4962-A760-0E2A9F42B373.jpeg

8235D751-10C8-4EE5-8224-814CBB345DDC.jpeg

Decals were punched out of the decal sheet and some bezels were painted. My biggest complaint about the Revell kit, the instrument decal does not come close to matching the plastic IP. I probably should have invested in a Yahu panel, but this is a commission build and the cockpit will be closed with a pilot (dead), so not much of the cockpit will be seen. 

B5E010B0-B285-49A7-A080-0C440B4459BE.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Or you might artfully pose it over a suitably shot up\ smoking Airfix He111 ( their 1\72 release comes with a copy of Iron Maiden's "Bomber"!!!). Oh, by the way Flying Officer Eddie's Spit would probably have a black spade grip and the crowbar would be cockpit green, not red ( unless he's doing a post-war air display!!) - think the seats were mostly a sort of burnt toffee colour, too! But it doesn't stop your build being ace OF SPADES, THE ACE OF SPADES , THE ACE OF SPADES etc (repeat. Until your ears bleed!!)

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

• Like 3

Nice idea great execution. I love subjects which are off the trotten path and nearly helped me to this kit some weeks ago. Your monster cave pit looks great. The Revell cockpit looks not too shabby detail wise, shame that they missed out on the decals.
Pure Heavy Metal dude.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

21 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

This is the latest build, which I am building for someone, some of the details were specified by them...so, this will not be “correct” BOB Mk.II. I am using the new Revell 1/32 Iron Maiden edition Spitfire. The only extras will be the G-factor gear and an acrylic rod.

3A36C45E-237D-4442-BD13-18E488D827BC.jpeg

I still have my teenage poster of this in my garage.

It's funny to take in the art work here, from the 78' pinto rust barnacle to the shell casing that somehow left the barrel of the gun intact. :)

Of course none of that I noticed as a young lad, I didn't even like Iron Maiden...just bought it for the Spitfire imagery.

• Like 3

Funnny that Revell took P7350 of the Battle of Britian Memorial Flight as example for their research. They even copied the repair patches on the wings as seen above (and mirrored them on the other wing). P7350 doesn't have those anymore after a thorough refurbishment.

I like the Revell Mk II and IX in general, although I do not like the lack of dihedral of the wings when seen from the front. With some work that can be remedied.

Cees

• Like 3

I have both Mk.II kits side by side, they are exactly the same plastic, the only difference is the additional “Eddie” sprue, and decals. 

funny you say no dihedral, I have plenty of dihedral, look at the shadow on my bench. From root to tip, it’s about 6-7mm.

• Like 3